AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 09-01-2020, 03:11 PM

Ok, put them in the system today and initial thoughts are they are outstanding in my AES/EBU usage scenario, both in a single AES/EBU and 4xAES/EBU configuraton (Meridian Speakerlink and MMHR).

They are definately another step up from the Sigmas. I can't believe they actually sounded so good the day I received them. I was almost prepared to be let down first waiting for them to settle in over the coming week.
Old 09-01-2020, 04:43 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crion2 View Post
Ok, put them in the system today and initial thoughts are they are outstanding in my AES/EBU usage scenario, both in a single AES/EBU and 4xAES/EBU configuraton (Meridian Speakerlink and MMHR).

They are definately another step up from the Sigmas. I can't believe they actually sounded so good the day I received them. I was almost prepared to be let down first waiting for them to settle in over the coming week.
They'll just get better from here on out...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 09-02-2020, 01:17 AM

hey crion2, what specific aspects of the presentation have changed do you think?
Old 09-02-2020, 06:38 AM

In my AES/EBU use-case mind you, the presentation have shifted, more natural, lifelike, inner detail. Everything have improved IMHO, therefore I would say the performance have shifted rather than XX% here and there in different aspects.
Old 09-03-2020, 04:39 AM

I will say this though, for me in AES/EBU use case, AQ Diamond -> Sigma was clearly better in many aspects like connection with the performers much much better. Some aspects was not so dramatically better.

Now, the Omega on the other hand, it’s in my system in a critical piece of the chain and it is dramatically better in all aspects IMHO.

I’m commending Caelin and his team of the Omega ethernet. It was a pleasure to handle , craftmanship excellent! Performance stellar! This is the SOTA reference.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:13 AM

in my setup i had a sigma E/net plus a DH Labs Reunion between server and renderer. The Sigma E/net becomes like a shield in my mind - preventing the ingress of noise from the external internet world. i figured sure, better E/net between my server and renderer will be better, but how much better when a Kiwi guy has spent his whole life trying to make each box as quiet as possible.

I borrowed an Alpha E/net from my dealer to see. So it went between the server and renderer. The Sigma stayed watch at the back door.

Instantly a very big improvement in detail. Noise had been removed. Noise that i did not think existed. But of course i always think that. A good gauge of that noise removal was the triangle pinging away on Aja from Steely Dan.

I am in a very good place with the system after putting a sigma XC pc on wall and an alpha nr v2 on my DAC.

suddenly normal records good again. i realise now what i had thought was a shimmery holography of some sort was just distortion. it had made normal records sound very flat. i had sought out audiophile records as it seemed to make sense and allowed me to hear better what the system was doing. but i did not (and do not still for the most part) typically prefer this kind of music (i do not normally buy Joe Jackson records for example).

anyway it is always hard to pinpoint what the decisive change was. especially when i am always changing and things take time to settle in.

but whatever has changed has made what happens via the input ethernet that much more important. you feel like you are being asked "do you want your system to sound better or worse"? of course i want better. and then the oracle says "ok, spend thousands on an e/net cable with a lint roller embedded in the cord."

and so of course I did. really looking forward to it! it will go outside (switch to server). sigma will come in and take place of alpha. alpha goes back to store having done its job well and truly :-)

Last edited by mr_gray; 09-11-2020 at 12:26 AM.
Old 09-11-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crion2 View Post
I will say this though, for me in AES/EBU use case, AQ Diamond -> Sigma was clearly better in many aspects like connection with the performers much much better. Some aspects was not so dramatically better.

Now, the Omega on the other hand, it’s in my system in a critical piece of the chain and it is dramatically better in all aspects IMHO.

I’m commending Caelin and his team of the Omega ethernet. It was a pleasure to handle , craftmanship excellent! Performance stellar! This is the SOTA reference.
I couldn't agree more. Over the years I have had a lot of experience with ethernet cables and have owned many brands.

Venom already beats most stuff out there... Sigma is the new reference... Omega completely redefines what is possible with a network streaming cable. It is dramatically better than the Sigma and will have many scratching their heads in disbelief.

Guillaume
Old 09-11-2020, 01:40 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuillaumeB View Post
I couldn't agree more. Over the years I have had a lot of experience with ethernet cables and have owned many brands.

Venom already beats most stuff out there... Sigma is the new reference... Omega completely redefines what is possible with a network streaming cable. It is dramatically better than the Sigma and will have many scratching their heads in disbelief.

Guillaume
Agreed 100% on all points. Including that even Venom beats most stuff out there.

Let's not forget the new Delta Ethernet, either, which is a step above the Venom and uses Telegartner connectors.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 09-14-2020, 01:52 PM

Began my Ethernet journey a few years ago with what I thought were top of the line cables from the likes of AQ and WireWorld and a few others between various switch vendors products. Then along comes the Uptone EtherREGEN switch which really changed things. That is until the Sigma Ethernet. Didn't think I'd find a big difference since the switch was handling noise issues. Boy was I wrong. Not only did the noise floor drop again but what the Shunyata cables brought to the table was a level of focus and coherence a low level details that were hiding. Seemed like the bits were simply arriving on-time. Found using a link from the switch to the dCS Upsampler the big change with another link from the Roon Nucleus to the switch not far behind. So, I received a pair of Omega Ethernet cables a few days ago. I didn't know what to expect. But so far it's yet another leap forward in bringing down the noise floor and allowing even more detail to be heard. Additionally the soundstage and decay as well as spacial cues are far more obvious. Could go on and on but net: run don't walk to get these into your system!!!
Old 09-14-2020, 05:36 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebythebay View Post
Began my Ethernet journey a few years ago with what I thought were top of the line cables from the likes of AQ and WireWorld and a few others between various switch vendors products. Then along comes the Uptone EtherREGEN switch which really changed things. That is until the Sigma Ethernet. Didn't think I'd find a big difference since the switch was handling noise issues. Boy was I wrong. Not only did the noise floor drop again but what the Shunyata cables brought to the table was a level of focus and coherence a low level details that were hiding. Seemed like the bits were simply arriving on-time. Found using a link from the switch to the dCS Upsampler the big change with another link from the Roon Nucleus to the switch not far behind. So, I received a pair of Omega Ethernet cables a few days ago. I didn't know what to expect. But so far it's yet another leap forward in bringing down the noise floor and allowing even more detail to be heard. Additionally the soundstage and decay as well as spacial cues are far more obvious. Could go on and on but net: run don't walk to get these into your system!!!
Yes, the new Omega Ethernet cables are really amazing...agree with your observations.

Also, the TAP device provides more focus and precision in the imaging of instruments and voices.