AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 06-24-2011, 05:10 PM

Default Domus vs. Liuto center channel speaker

I recently bought a used pair of SF Grand Piano Domus. I need to add a center channel speaker to complete a surround sound system. The Domus center channel is very difficult to come by. But I recently found a Liuto center channel speaker for a very good price at a local shop. Would this be a good match for the Grand Piano Domus? I'm a bit worried as the tonal balance may be different.

Also, the first and second generation center speakers from SF didn't get the best reviews. It's my understanding they vastly improved their center channel in the Domus line. How is the Liuto center? I can't find any reviews or opinions on it. Any input is appreciated.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:44 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamDog View Post
I recently bought a used pair of SF Grand Piano Domus. I need to add a center channel speaker to complete a surround sound system. The Domus center channel is very difficult to come by. But I recently found a Liuto center channel speaker for a very good price at a local shop. Would this be a good match for the Grand Piano Domus? I'm a bit worried as the tonal balance may be different.

Also, the first and second generation center speakers from SF didn't get the best reviews. It's my understanding they vastly improved their center channel in the Domus line. How is the Liuto center? I can't find any reviews or opinions on it. Any input is appreciated.
The Domus Center is the correct Center for your speakers. The SMART does many things better that the Domus Center but what it does not do nearly as well is tonally match the Grand Piano Domus. It will be worth the search.

Bill
Old 06-28-2011, 09:26 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
The Domus Center is the correct Center for your speakers. The SMART does many things better that the Domus Center but what it does not do nearly as well is tonally match the Grand Piano Domus. It will be worth the search.

Bill
Welcome back Bill, we've missed you!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 06-28-2011, 11:35 AM

Bill, I appreciate the advice. The center channel speakers are very difficult to find in the used market. I came across a used Liuto (Smart) yesterday and purchased it for a very good deal. I thought this would hold me over until I find a Domus center, and then I could re-sell the Smart.

I didn't get a chance to hook it up until late last night. I also got a new Blu-Ray player yesterday (Marantz UD7006), so I was busy hooking things up and reading manuals. I only got a chance to listen to the Smart when watching late night news and was impressed already with the clarity of the voice.

I was afraid the tonal qualities would be different than the Domus. But at least it has the same signature sound of the Sonus Faber. I'll be testing it with music in the next few days and report back.

Thanks again for your input.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:42 PM

Well, after purchasing the Liuto Smart center speaker, I found a dealer who has a demo of the Domus center in stock. So I bought it and now have both!

But unfortunately, my Outlaw pre/pro took a dump. So I had to send it in for warranty repairs and won't have it back for several weeks (hoping it won't turn into months). For a temporary solution, I'm using my HTPC as a 2-channel "pre-amp" for listening to vinyl. So I don't have a way to play surround sound yet.

Did some testing. Hooked up the Smart to as the right speaker and one of the Grand Piano's Domus as the left speaker. The impedance on the Domus is 4 ohms while the Liuto line is 8 ohms. I adjusted the levels with my radio shack SPL meter. To my surprise, the tonal balance was extremely close for the Smart and the Grand Piano. I had imagined the Domus would have been brighter, but that wasn't the case. Then I removed the Smart and hooked up the center Domus. Once again, the tonal balance was extremely close. I actually liked the Smart better!

For another test, I hooked up the Liuto Smart as the left speaker and the center Domus as the right speaker. Adjusted levels and started listening to music. I used the balance feature in Windows Sound to go back and forth between the two; and listen to both at the same time. In this test, I found the vocal to be much better in the Liuto Smart than the Domus center. It just wasn't as crisp and clear in the Domus center. And since the purpose of the speaker is to produce mostly vocals as a center channel, I think the better choice would be the Liuto Smart.

I will not sell either of them until I get my pre/pro back and play some multichannel SACD/DVD-a material. I also want to test with some movies as well. So stay tuned for another more detailed review when I get my pre/pro back.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:07 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Well, after purchasing the Liuto Smart center speaker, I found a dealer who has a demo of the Domus center in stock. So I bought it and now have both!

But unfortunately, my Outlaw pre/pro took a dump. So I had to send it in for warranty repairs and won't have it back for several weeks (hoping it won't turn into months). For a temporary solution, I'm using my HTPC as a 2-channel "pre-amp" for listening to vinyl. So I don't have a way to play surround sound yet.

Did some testing. Hooked up the Smart to as the right speaker and one of the Grand Piano's Domus as the left speaker. The impedance on the Domus is 4 ohms while the Liuto line is 8 ohms. I adjusted the levels with my radio shack SPL meter. To my surprise, the tonal balance was extremely close for the Smart and the Grand Piano. I had imagined the Domus would have been brighter, but that wasn't the case. Then I removed the Smart and hooked up the center Domus. Once again, the tonal balance was extremely close. I actually liked the Smart better!

For another test, I hooked up the Liuto Smart as the left speaker and the center Domus as the right speaker. Adjusted levels and started listening to music. I used the balance feature in Windows Sound to go back and forth between the two; and listen to both at the same time. In this test, I found the vocal to be much better in the Liuto Smart than the Domus center. It just wasn't as crisp and clear in the Domus center. And since the purpose of the speaker is to produce mostly vocals as a center channel, I think the better choice would be the Liuto Smart.

I will not sell either of them until I get my pre/pro back and play some multichannel SACD/DVD-a material. I also want to test with some movies as well. So stay tuned for another more detailed review when I get my pre/pro back.

If you're listening to both and panning, you should use a mono signal with the speakers positioned as closely to ideal as possible in the center with one above the other, and each one properly raked for that speaker. That's about as close as you are going to get to a meaningful comparison with both speakers at the same time.

Anything else is more likely about room positioning and speaker dispersion differences than it is actual qualitative sonic differences.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
If you're listening to both and panning, you should use a mono signal with the speakers positioned as closely to ideal as possible in the center with one above the other, and each one properly raked for that speaker. That's about as close as you are going to get to a meaningful comparison with both speakers at the same time.

Anything else is more likely about room positioning and speaker dispersion differences than it is actual qualitative sonic differences.
You're absolutely right and I did think about that. I couldn't figure out how to play mono through Windows 7, so I tried to pick tracks which I felt would minimize the stereo effects. For example, I didn't pick the Beatles

I did move around quite a bit. Played both at the same time and stood in front of each speaker, at ear height level. Moved back and forth, side to side. Played with the balance, etc. I did not try placing them on top of each other though.

I do need to do more testing. It's just tough with a PC as a pre-amp.

Last edited by HamDog; 07-11-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:50 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
You're absolutely right and I did think about that. I couldn't figure out how to play mono through Windows 7, so I tried to pick tracks which I felt would minimize the stereo effects. For example, I didn't pick the Beatles

I did move around quite a bit. Played both at the same time and stood in front of each speaker, at ear height level. Moved back and forth, side to side. Played with the balance, etc. I did not try placing them on top of each other though.

I do need to do more testing. It's just tough with a PC as a pre-amp.
If you are trying to compare two mono speakers you need to eliminate the variables as best you can. Moving your listening position around increases variables. Putting the speakers in two different acoustic areas of the room is not the same as putting them in the center. Putting the speakers at ear height is not relevant. Rake relative to listening position is. Height from the floor should be where you plane to actually mount/place the speaker in the final set.

No harm in listening any way you want. But if you want to know the differences before you make a decision rather than speculate based on approximations, you may want to wait to get your Outlaw back.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:38 AM

Thanks Bill, I'll certainly keep those suggestions in mind when I test further. I appreciate the help.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:21 PM

Got my Outlaw pre/pro back from repairs last week. About a 3 week turnaround time, which included 2 weeks of it being in the hands of UPS (one week each way shipping).

Have done some extensive testing on both the Domus and Liuto center. I'm absolutely torn on which to keep. They are both fantastic speakers.

Bill, you are correct that the Domus center matches the tonal balance of my Grand Piano's better. But the difference isn't that significant, but none-the-less, still there. The Liuto does sound better on vocals. I felt like I could actually hear the front facing ports on the Domus center. This actually gave it a "wider" sound (if that makes sense). Maybe because of that it may actually perform better as a center?

Basically, I think they are both great speakers. But I'll stick to the Domus center as it sonically matches my Grand Piano's better. But I'm very impressed with the sound of the Liuto. For a moment, I thought about selling the Grand Piano's and buy the Lituo line. But the my checkbook smacked me in the face and told me to get real!