AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 01-21-2018, 05:06 PM
Retired

What's your budget and how big is your room?
I listened to a pair of Focal 1008Be IIs with a 10wpc Luxman SQ-N10 EL84 amp and they were sublime in the near field (~7ft). Think the 1008Be IIs are listed at 89db for 1w@1m. I've seen them used for under $2500.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 01-22-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doukhobar View Post
Hello All - if I told you that I've been reading this forum for 2 years and never posted, would you believe me? Well, it's true!

Anyway, I have a KT88 HO Inspire and LP2. The amp is the standard configuration with 6V6/6L6/6550, 6DJ8 and 5Y3/5U4g positions while the LP2 has dual 12AU7, 6CG7 and a 5Y3. I really enjoy this set up! Since owning this paid, I must confess I must have bought over $5,000 in tubes in the last 2 years to roll through them. It has proven an expensive habit/addiction, but this is was my first experience getting heavy into tube rolling.

There are a few posters here who's opinions I really agree on. It seems this amp just loves 6V6 tubes. I never got 6550/KT88 tubes to sounds great, at least to me, with this amp. I've run it with 3 pairs of speakers from 93-95dB including the Omega 3XRS, Omega Alnico Super XRS and Decware ERR all of which I own and know intimately.

My favorite tubes used are all NOS Visseaux 6V6 clear gloves, Mazda 6V6 GT, Belvu 6V6 GT with gold grids, and the Genalex Gold Lion KT66.

Regarding rectifiers, I have several GEC/Osram U52/5U4G that just never seemed to sound that special with this amp. Honestly, the best combo has been the 6V6 tubes above with the U50 rectifier. Please don't blow up my spot, but the U50 is a 5Y3 equivalent, as the U52 is the 5U4G equivalent, and it is just marvelous with classical and jazz. I have to say the Firebottle with the Omega Alnico towers is a great set up. Always have enough gain - never lacking for bass I feel 99% of the time, though I've considered adding an Omega sub into the mix. I've been listening to this amp/preamp nearly ever day for the past 2 years with these speakers and know it pretty well. In the input position, ince putting in a Telefunken E188CC, I've never wanted to take it out (though I've tried Amperex 6922 piched waist, Valvo CCA, etc). There is a really great synergy with the Omega speakers, that everyone here seems to agree on.

I've thought about upgrading the amp one day, but am not sure what the advantages are. I do not want to lsoe the ability to roll rectifiers - I still have alot of them and like to switch around when the mood strikes.

Lastly, in 2017 I moved from Washington DC to Charleston, SC so it seems I am really not that far from the Toy Factory. HAs an organized visit with other owners already been planned and taken place? Just some thoughts...
Welcome There is a tube-o-holics meeting tonight. I'll save you a seat.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:18 PM

I've been wanting to listen to those Focal 1008Be IIs with a tube amp for a couple of years now. Have read several reviews and am intrigued. I own a pair of Focal Aria 906 bookshelf speakers, which I use in my A/V system. They sound nice with my Inspire amp although I don't normally use them with it. I know the 1008Be is a big step up.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:19 PM
Retired

I traded a pair of Focal 906 (bright red - but I don't recall them being the 906) on the 1008Be IIs in piano black. You are absolutely correct. It was a BIG step up. Am speaker shopping and keep hoping Focal will come out with a Kanta monitor, based on the reviews the floor-stander is receiving over in the Focal forum as well as from the 'pro' reviewers. May have to "settle" for the Sopra 1, which won't be a bad thing.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 01-24-2018, 11:19 AM

DH Hot Rod 150 Amp came in the mail. Burning in now. Now the time question.

How many hours/days/weeks BREAK-IN-TIME is required before everything settles in?
Old 01-24-2018, 04:31 PM
Retired

If it has high-end caps (teflon and/or oil-in-foil) can take as many as 400hr for everything to settle out. Usually ~200hr to get 95% of the way to final sound. Generally worth the wait.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:57 PM

Default Break-in "100 & 200" hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
If it has high-end caps (teflon and/or oil-in-foil) can take as many as 400hr for everything to settle out. Usually ~200hr to get 95% of the way to final sound. Generally worth the wait.
Good to know, Thanks for confirming. This is consistent with my Cary amps with upgraded caps. Also, I just heard back from the master builder himself.

Message received "You will hear a break-in transition over 100 to 200 hours. This defies engineering understanding but there is a conditioning time of the various passive components. Keep me posted and thank you for the kind words."
Old 01-25-2018, 11:31 AM

Default Update @24hr burn-in

Update: I received the amp over the weekend. Set it up. Now @24hrs burn-in time on the new Inspire KT150 Hot Rod 10wamp. Paired up with my existing/larger 92db large custom build AMT speakers.

It does power the big speakers, still assessing how it really sounds and whether or not I'm going to have to buy/build a new set of higher efficiency speakers just for this amp or not. It's pretty neat, I can already tell this little amp is special.

Last edited by decooney; 01-27-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
Inspire KT150 Hot Rod 10wamp. Paired up with my existing/larger 92db large custom build AMT speakers.
I find my kt88 fire-bottle @ 12watts is just barely enough to flesh out my 94.5db speakers. I'd get something at least 96db+ for that amp, but ymmv.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:53 AM

Default Thanks Dennis!

Now at 20 hours of burn-in on the new "little big amp" (sitting below).

I must be fooling myself right now. I'm sitting here listening to it with my custom built DEC-AMT28s speaker creation which are 92db 1w/1meter. They are being well driven with a huge sound stage right now by the new Dennis Had KT150 "Hot Rod" amp. I'm not really missing anything right now for low level listening. It gets pretty loud, sounds full, goes deeper than i thought it would. Dennis told me this would be the case. He was right. Hmmm, must be these extra bad a!@ transformers and other upgrades on the hot rod edition.

Can't wait to try 96db+ speakers if this is a sample of how it's going to sound then. Maybe I'll build some 1/2 pint size of my current speakers. Will need to find the right 10" woofer with enough efficiency to match the big AMT.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hat's off to you Dennis, still loving the upgraded V12R, and the new little "Hot Rod" Firebottle addition is SPECTACULAR. Both are keepers!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by decooney; 01-27-2018 at 09:19 PM.