Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Pass Labs

Pass Labs 20 Years and Counting

Old 05-16-2016, 03:42 AM

Thanks for the info Paul
Old 05-17-2016, 04:55 AM
Lucky # 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1 View Post
Low listening is something very well done by pass class a bottom end is still there great tone.
+1
Old 06-27-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accumac View Post
Hello Just came across this thread. Very interesting subject. Already for quite some time I'm also considering changing my set up to something 'I could retire with' stepping finally into Class'A' territory at the same time. At first I thought of Accuphase, but budget and especially the outrageous pricing and service policy of the company in Europe is not very appealing. In search for alternatives, Pass came up and from what I could find on the Internet, could well be the match I am looking for. Amp wise I prefer staying with monos, ideally either a XA60.8 or XA100.8 (bigger - no budget, lousy waf) but not sure whether the XP100.8 brings much more in sound quality. For better synergies I think replacing my C500/P with a XP 10 or 20 as well when changing amps. In order to be able to listen to a Pass combo I need to travel relatively far, so beforehand I have some questions. If anybody has already some experience or thoughts I would be very grateful for sharing: - Comparing a C500P (SS) vs a Pass XP 10 or 20, would this be an upgrade sound wise? - How do the Pass phono stages compare to the built-in phono stages of the C500P? - I have always the feeling that the C500/MC 501 combo comes to life at higher volumes only and therefore some tone controls (as on my old C48)/loudness button would have been helpful. The Pass preamps don't have a loudness button either. So, how are the Pass amps at low level? As said before my preferred amps would be a 60.8 or 100.8. - Any experience with the reliability of Pass gear? As they should always stay on, is there a need of service after some time, especially if I buy a second hand preamp? Btw, the amps should drive a pair of SF Amati Futuras, which shouldn't be a problem. Thanks a lot for your insights.
I'm coming to the discussion a bit late, but... I talked to the guys at pass about leaving my 30.5 on all the time. They told me they've had Alephs out in the field for 20 years being left on 100% of the time without issue. They also said the XA series is not run nearly as hard as those early amps...
Old 06-28-2016, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichW View Post
I'm coming to the discussion a bit late, but... I talked to the guys at pass about leaving my 30.5 on all the time. They told me they've had Alephs out in the field for 20 years being left on 100% of the time without issue. They also said the XA series is not run nearly as hard as those early amps...
Well I don't leave my xa30.8 on all the time I find that it doesn't take long to come on song.
Also by the time I turn on sit down pounder the day and start to relax its sounds fine and as I have always said, a glass of red into it and I am happy.
These class a amps never seem to sound harsh they are just so easy on the ear but quick when they need.
The new .8 series is something very different from the .5 and the point five was great I have read!!
And I had Mac had accuphase and leema acoustic
Old 06-29-2016, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1 View Post
Well I don't leave my xa30.8 on all the time I find that it doesn't take long to come on song.
Also by the time I turn on sit down pounder the day and start to relax its sounds fine and as I have always said, a glass of red into it and I am happy.
These class a amps never seem to sound harsh they are just so easy on the ear but quick when they need.
The new .8 series is something very different from the .5 and the point five was great I have read!!
And I had Mac had accuphase and leema acoustic
Could not agree more. Went to the 30.8 from the 30.5 and about 30 mins it is on song.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:36 AM

I've actually not moved from one to the other but use both. Currently a McIntosh C52 with MC452 and the phono sections runs with the exceptional Pass XP-15. I love this combination and it brings phantastic sound!!!
Old 01-05-2019, 04:17 PM

Hi,

i now i have a Xp20 with Xa100.8. before Xa100.5

I'm very sadisfait with the "sound Pass class A and AB too .(first Pass was X250.5)

Used with B&W802d2/802d3..., Raidho C3.1, Wilson Sahsa 2, PMC.

I had the possibility to change the "Pass combo" with a 2600 and 462. I think Sonus Faber is the a grest combo with Mc.

What do you think? pull the trigger? or my Pass is better? (i had the Sahsa2 sold... Isophon or Magico A3/Focal -> tweeter hard with Xa100.8 or Amati/Serafino Tradition if I stay with Pass?

thank you for reply.

greatings
style
Old 01-14-2019, 05:32 AM

I think Pass amp can work with many other brand’s pre-amp, I’m using ARC Ref 6 pre-amp and Pass X-360.8 amp and I love the sound very much (CDP is Esoteric K-03X and speaker is WA Sophia).

[/URL]
Old 01-14-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidho View Post
Hi,

i now i have a Xp20 with Xa100.8. before Xa100.5

I'm very sadisfait with the "sound Pass class A and AB too .(first Pass was X250.5)

Used with B&W802d2/802d3..., Raidho C3.1, Wilson Sahsa 2, PMC.

I had the possibility to change the "Pass combo" with a 2600 and 462. I think Sonus Faber is the a grest combo with Mc.

What do you think? pull the trigger? or my Pass is better? (i had the Sahsa2 sold... Isophon or Magico A3/Focal -> tweeter hard with Xa100.8 or Amati/Serafino Tradition if I stay with Pass?

thank you for reply.

greatings
style
Ok, I hope you change your underwear as often .......

keep what you've got and enjoy your music !
Old 01-17-2019, 05:26 PM

Ok, I hope you change your underwear as often .......

keep what you've got and enjoy your music !

thank you.

(> you too! anyway your opinion?

You have to listen a Grandinote system with Pre Genesi, mono Demone (60watt class A) and the Volta music player!

the monoblock Demone with the 60 watt class A is a killer mono ampli! the Pass Xa160.8 have no change..... the Mc 611 too.

Soeaker? Grantinote Match 9 (better as Magico Smk2) but no berylium twweter...

Go see on te web.