AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 08-02-2014, 08:37 AM

Yes il live in Swiss near Geneva.
i own Wilson Sasha 2, and i'll replace it for Alexia at the end of 2014.

I'm a classic musician (Piano), and i really take car of the realism of the music in Hifi
The only greats amplifier who works well with Wilson Audio for me are:
-Spectral
-Vitus Audio
-Karan

The best value for me is Karan for sure !

For the second hand market i'm not agree, i sold my KAS400 in january for a very good value (i could sold it 10 times...)
What you need to know is that Karan keep good value if you sold it (on second hand) on your own country, because Karan has exceptions for that point !

And for others brand, that's similar for value, i sold my Audio Research REF110 for 5200 CHF (around 4500 Euros), and it costs me 14500 CHF !
i think you must compare the right things (on second hand value) with old revisions in each brand.

Now i own a Karan S600 and i want to keep it, it's really beautiful
i'm quite sure it will match with my futures Alexias, but i'm considering the Karan M900 (if i have enough money to replace it)
Old 08-02-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgr4blu View Post
Hi dminches:
I have not heard Ayre monos in my system or with Wilsons. I have heard them in other systems and have always been impressed. I do know of 2 Wilson owners whose opinions I respect who have switched from Ayre to Dag.
I am sure the Dags are great amps. The cost difference between them and the Ayre is over double. I am hoping to audition a pair of Ayre mono blocks in my system later in the month.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidho View Post
Hello, I dont have a dedicated listen room , my system is in the living room. (around 60m2 (10meter long x 6 large not bad but ..I have a but at the end..) Ref.250 and others AR are very good that's sure. the point is that have a system with tube need care, place, ..... mati1979 write right mati1979: I see the Alexia with the Pass XS serie and AR as pre and is a great combo. sure more vs. the Mc. sorry, I do is a personal taste but Mc match with speakers like Sonus Faber very good (if this is YOUR soudn taste) Class A are too not so "symple" like a class D system..BUT the point is : I will have a great system and at each listening session I want to hear music .... good music / want to enjoy it (=quality of music of course) Dagostino stereo is a great product sure but you can not deny that the price is high for a "simple" stereo amplifier. I dont have listen the Dag in my room and i dont know if all what you read / hear is true. some is amazing some very "flat sound". The point is the price. Pay for a Dag stereo the same price as a pair of ref250 is a "+" for the Dag. (i dont know the price in Usa but in europa Dag is really overpriced for what offert.) jpgr4blu with the same price AR ref250 and Dag stereo (new serie = The first series of dagostino had transformers / electrical part does not live here and have been replaced at least in eurpopa (you know we work with 230v Vs. 120v and certainly plays an important role)) -> I will go with a Dagostino vs. the AR (of course after a session in my room) The Dag monos are too expensive for the Sasha2. the are priced sooo much more from the speaker and imho have no sense - maybe with the Alexia the monos can be considered..... If you have the Dag stereo, the AR250 monos at the same price which one is "the choice"? dminches the Ayre are amazing. I have listen this the Kx-r and the mono Mx-r with Thiel 3.7 and Magico speakers. The Ayre Mx-r and to the Vx-r are no doubt very very good. expensive? Yes, more from the Dag (for me) shame because they are really very good, good sound, "small", ... (with your premapli and with a AR as premapli) great SS ampli are sure available on the market: Constellation, FM Acosutics, Soulution!! minus $$$$ others not in Usa present: Accustic Arts and AVM (chef was in Burmester). this two are for me very interesting. great building, super price/perfomance. Accustic Arts® AVM Audio - Overview (ovation serie) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSCf59FEnqQ#t=33 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeohyoFYb0U fred69: you are in europe too? The ampli Karan are a good match with Wilson I do. the KA s400 or the KA s600 with the right cables is a very good combo. Karan is not so much expensive (vs Dag and company..) if for you the value in the second hand is important karan is really very difficult to resell (you pay 10k? with a lot of luck you can have 3k.!) surely if you think the sale of equipment that you do not have yet is not very positive ... Decision....decision..... At the end of all I can say the a AR preampli is without doubt a very smart purchase. ampli: AR - tube ampli - sound good - You will have a "hot" equipment ? ready to pay for this brunt a very good/amazing sound? Dag stereo: well yes, is a good solution -> intelligent? I dont know. Pass class A: for Me the new point 8 is a great ampli. here too monos, "hot" place but not so much like the Arc. Others? I dont know...... Your point of view? Thank you.
Personally, I think you should try the Ref 75 with your Ref 5SE and see if you like that combo which I think you will and with the KT150s (quite a few have dropped them in and swear by the results as Priaptor has above). In the SS camp, I think you will be very surprised by a pairing of ARC preamp Ref 5SE with either Ayre MX-R stereo or mono amps or if you can get your hands on them the Lamm M1.2 (Class A).
Old 08-02-2014, 11:04 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

fred69... Welcome to AA!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 08-02-2014, 01:05 PM

Hi Fred69,

great to know you are a classic musician. Then read carefully the test of the xa100.5 by Dr Poltun who is Director of Archives for the prestigious Vienna State Opera/Philharmonic Orchestra since 1992. For me it is the best test did for those amps. At the moment of the test he used a WP8 and since a few months ago apair of Sasha. I think this guy knows a lot about classic music.
Far form to say Ayre or Karan are bad amp, surely not, but not the only ones.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:16 PM

Hi jpspock

yes, we know this paper about Mr Poltun Pass Labs made....
Every Brand need Adverts... we can see B&W, Wilson, PMC on recordings studios, etc...

A friend of mine has Pass Labs on his Wilson, ok for the power: no problems. But for the real life music, i can't : to bright for me.
This friend will change the pass labs in order to have more emotional music on his wilson, i don't know what it will choose (peharps Big LAMM valves), i'll let you know for his future results.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:22 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Personally, I think you should try the Ref 75 with your Ref 5SE and see if you like that combo which I think you will and with the KT150s (quite a few have dropped them in and swear by the results as Priaptor has above). In the SS camp, I think you will be very surprised by a pairing of ARC preamp Ref 5SE with either Ayre MX-R stereo or mono amps or if you can get your hands on them the Lamm M1.2 (Class A).
I don't think there is an issue about liking the Ref 75 paired with the Ref 5SE - seems like lots of people like that combination. Both are excellent components. Asking oneself about the level of performance one hopes to achieve seems a reasonable consideration. Relative sufficiency to do the job can be an expanding horizon - in part based on knowledge of what is possible.

I believe it is particularly important to have several listening sessions to compare the 75 Watt tubed Ref 75 and a larger wattage tube amp (150 or 250) and one or more SS (or hybrid) amps of 100+ amps into 8-Ohms that double into 4 ohms and again into 2. Until you can understand the differences by hearing them for yourself using your own music that you consider 'demanding', you can't make a knowledgeable choice (or at least I couldn't for myself.) Of course YMMV.

If the Sasha were a nominal 8 or 16-Ohm speaker I'd feel a lot more confident that the differences between a 75 Watt tube amp and something with greater output such as the ARC 150 or 250 can not be heard. This is by no means a criticism of the Ref 75, but an acknowledgement - at least by my ears - that there are genuine sonic differences between it and larger amps. This not so much a matter of an amp 'running out of steam' or differences in kind, but of differences in quality - areas such as articulation, resolution, tonal density and lifespan, on-demand dynamic swings, etc. Whether such differences are important is an issue for oneself. Preferred listening volume, room volume and acoustics are also factors.

On a side note, I do agree about the Ayres. Having evaluated the Sasha with the MX-Rs (and really pushing the speakers) I think they are a great match where solid state is preferred.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:04 AM

Hello fred69,

I live in switzerland too.

Karan is a good combo with wilson. I agree with you.

In France near Lyon is present a dealer that push over Karan product.
Karan KAS 400 can be a interessing ampli for me. (sure the KAS600 are much better..) but I dont have never listen the Karn with a Wilson in a "good room & combo setup". Purchase the Karan at close box is a very "risiko" investiment.

For the second hand is always "relativ"..if you have the right person that search the Karan/AR/Pass/... you can have a "good" resell value...

For AR ref 110 second hand Chf. 5200,.? wow, I say you that a NEW Ref150 can I have the Chf. 7900!!

Pass is (imho) one of the better brand in your price range. For a 1 year old combo Xa100.5 I receive not the 50% from the new price!

Sound from "tube" is sure more "open" and "airy" vs. the Pass sound.

Vitus is too a perfect match with Wilson. I have listen the Signature & Reference series: The Reference (Rs100 ampli) is for me better from the Signature.
the integrated Ri100 was a big surprise really. sure using the ampli Rs100 amplifier with a preampli (2 chassis setup) is normally more performing vs integrated... -> the Vitus Rl101 or a AR ref5se?

Lamm ...good but rpice lige?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPdArtmM6y4
(for what it's worth a listen on youtube)

A friend had the Spectral 360mono s2 with Magico Q5 now a new system but spectral ae very great. what i dont like is the rca as best cabling and the Mit cables. ( a cable for me muss be a cablenot at "box" within a equalazier? or who knows what inside.... (well this is my opinion)

What for cables you use? (Dealer in Lyon say the "Esprit" with the "Lumina" is a perfect match with Wilson & Karran.)

You use a cd player or a Nas center / cumputer....."musique dématérialisée"?
Pesonally a good player is the first source. maybe i'm going to develop my small music system liquid ...
(-> Lumin A1_ much better frm Linn poducts.....a Nas center....)

thank you for reply.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:11 AM

Hi Raidho

for sure i'll not use REF 150 and no REF 250 on my future Alexia, only KAS600 or perhaps KAM 900 (mono blocs).
They drive the bass like no amplifier can at this price. All The Wilson need a lot of power to drive the bass.

I think you're thinking of the same dealer as me in France because of Esprit cable, in september i'll shift my Kubala cable for Esprit Lumina or Gaia: Really magical sound, incredible (the only cable who can compare to Gaia or Lumina are the Tranparent cables OPUS). I listened the Gaia on Karan amplifier... Oh my god !

For the moment i use CD player from Metronome Technolgie, i'll update (but keep my metronome) for a new system like you say "dématérialisée" because this same dealer has a very good choices in theses systems !
Old 08-03-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred69 View Post
But for the real life music, i can't : to bright for me.
This friend will change the pass labs in order to have more emotional music on his wilson,