AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 07-30-2014, 08:12 AM

Default AR REF250 monos

Hello,

I have lsiten the AR Ref250 monos with wilson speaker.

At this moment I have Pass labs Xa100.5: change the Pass with a Ref250 is for you a good idea?

Never had any problems with noise caused by fans? -> with a very low volume after hearing the fans? the noise is a problem / bother you?

I use Wilson Sasha2 as speaker.

my dealer say me that the ventil are not a problem (more setting possibility) and for tube replace (live time for a set is around 2 years with ca. 3 hr. listing pro day - new tube ca. Usd. 1400.- / in euopa)

please opinion, thank you for help.

B rgds O.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidho View Post
Hello,

I have lsiten the AR Ref250 monos with wilson speaker.

At this moment I have Pass labs Xa100.5: change the Pass with a Ref250 is for you a good idea?

Never had any problems with noise caused by fans? -> with a very low volume after hearing the fans? the noise is a problem / bother you?

I use Wilson Sasha2 as speaker.

my dealer say me that the ventil are not a problem (more setting possibility) and for tube replace (live time for a set is around 2 years with ca. 3 hr. listing pro day - new tube ca. Usd. 1400.- / in euopa)

please opinion, thank you for help.

B rgds O.
Hi Raidho,

I have owned REF250s and have heard them on Sophias, Sashas and Alexias.

I have sold my REF250s and upgraded to a REF75 which drives the Sashas beautifully.

My recommendation is save yourself some $$$, spend 350 bucks extra and buy the REF75 and replace the stock tubes with matched KT150 tubes. This is the best amplifier ARC currently makes and the Sasha will sound wonderful with it.

Just my opinion.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priaptor View Post
Hi Raidho,

I have owned REF250s and have heard them on Sophias, Sashas and Alexias.

I have sold my REF250s and upgraded to a REF75 which drives the Sashas beautifully.

My recommendation is save yourself some $$$, spend 350 bucks extra and buy the REF75 and replace the stock tubes with matched KT150 tubes. This is the best amplifier ARC currently makes and the Sasha will sound wonderful with it.

Just my opinion.
Hi,,thank you.

interessing, my dealer say my that the ref75 is not enough for the Sasha!!!
the 150 or the 250 but not the 75?!?!?!

with the 250mons you have some problems with the ventils = noise / rumors??

what for a preampli you use?
thank you
Old 07-30-2014, 02:58 PM

Hey Raidho, I have ARC Ref75 with Alexias. Sadly I've not hooked up the gear just yet, but my dealer begged me to try the Ref75 with Alexia. He said there was plenty of power and the Ref75 is "a very special amplifier". I will be using with Ref10 preamp. I have heard the Ref75 with Alexia and with Sasha2, the latter was at a Music Matters event with ARC and Wilson reps in attendance. They played some pipe organ recording and Ref75 controlled Sasha2 very well even at the lowest octaves. Unless your room is very large the Ref75 should be plenty of amplifier.

Last edited by Bobvin; 07-30-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:18 PM

I find the power needed depends a lot on what music you enjoy and room size. I've heard Miles Davis sound amazing with lower powered ARC amps on Sashas. But also hear them tapped out with with large orchestral passages with base drum or timpani.

Find a good place to listen; ARC/Wilson seem to be pretty common pairings with reps.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:40 PM

Why not stay with pass? Try a xa160.5 or the new line .8...
Old 07-30-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidho View Post
Hi,,thank you. interessing, my dealer say my that the ref75 is not enough for the Sasha!!! the 150 or the 250 but not the 75?!?!?! with the 250mons you have some problems with the ventils = noise / rumors?? what for a preampli you use? thank you
I use a REF10.

I respectfully have to disagree with your dealer. No issues with a REF75 driving the Sasha. Plus adding the KT150 tubes makes their best amp even better at a fraction of the cost of the REF250s.

I owned the REF250s for a year and half and was very skeptical when people told me what I am telling you.

I don't miss the 250s and this Ref75 is the best amp I have ever owned and IMO the best ARC has ever made.

The thing never runs out of power on a Sasha so I am not sure what your dealer is talking about.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneice View Post
I find the power needed depends a lot on what music you enjoy and room size. I've heard Miles Davis sound amazing with lower powered ARC amps on Sashas. But also hear them tapped out with with large orchestral passages with base drum or timpani. Find a good place to listen; ARC/Wilson seem to be pretty common pairings with reps.
I have never heard the REF75 tap out. I have listened to it on Sasha's with pretty dynamic orchestral music and will take it any day over the REF250 especially with KT150 tubes.

My Nola Concert Grands are also driven effortlessly to whatever SPL I desire. Personally I have never heard such dynamics in my system which was only improved with KT150s
Old 07-30-2014, 07:28 PM

Rahido, i dont understand you.
In Wilson Topic, you say:

Quote:
I like my Pass much more as the AR 250 mono.
Ampli Pass and pre a AR ref5se is a very great match.
and, in this topic, you have doubt about Pass vs AR 250 ?

Remember, you say (in Wilson topic)

Quote:
MCintosh, with all respect , have a lot of watt but not ampere (and damping factor) like a class A ampli.

pass in class A (xa100.5/8) - Accuphase a65 - a70 maybe in bridge mode and others give you a very good sound from the Sasha.
now, you like go for mode "AB tube" AR system ?
I had understood that you would like the pure Class A with Wilson
Old 07-31-2014, 02:08 AM

I'm positive arc 250's will be great with Sasha 2's, even the ref75 is spectacular with them. I'm curious why you want to trade in your pass amps? You don't need a lot of watts. I'm sure your pass amp does just fine. I find nothing missing with the ref75.