AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 04-06-2014, 02:25 AM

Default Shunyata Anaconda vs Cardas Clear Beyond Speaker Cable

While waiting for my speaker cable to be manufactured, my dealer loaned me a pair of Cardas clear beyond speaker cable. Well, the cable really does sound much better than my previous cable. When the Shunyata comes in - and gets burned in - it will be interesting to compare the two of them.

Does anyone have direct experience comparing these two cables?
System: Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon/DPC-6v2, Defender, Anaconda /Sigma power cords and interconnects, Linn LP12, Ayre P-5xe, dCS Vivaldi full stack, Ayre KX-R Twenty, Ayre MX-R Twenty, Wilson Alexia Series 2 Speakers
Old 04-06-2014, 03:45 AM

Good project. I see a lot of Cardas ads, but few user comments on the few forums I read.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:05 AM

The sound is very vivid and life-like. I did some reading. Cardas is attacking the same problem as Shunyata: addressing the build up of charge in the dilectric in the cable. The approaches are different between the two companies. I'll be interested to see if something "disapppears" when I put in the Anaconda, or things "stay the same" or the Anaconda perhaps better the Clear Beyonds. I may need to A/B after a month of burn in though - I want to make sure the Anaconda is fully burned in (notice this is an issue with all other Shunyata products) before I make any comparisons.
System: Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon/DPC-6v2, Defender, Anaconda /Sigma power cords and interconnects, Linn LP12, Ayre P-5xe, dCS Vivaldi full stack, Ayre KX-R Twenty, Ayre MX-R Twenty, Wilson Alexia Series 2 Speakers
Old 04-06-2014, 12:47 PM

I am using the Cardas Clear Beyond. The cable has most of the good attributes of excellent cables. In particular, it projects excellent soundstage, especially in the depth dimension. Dynamics contrast is exemplary. Bass extension, energy and definition are its characteristic strength. Overall its tonal balance is slightly on the warm side, although compared to previous top Cardas such as the Golden Reference, it has shifted to be more neutral, lively, and clear. The high ends may not be as extended as some of the best but one should not find it lacking anything significant here.

I also used the Clear Light briefly, hoping (as some ads said) it would have a good part of the performance at a fraction of the price. Unfortunately, I found that they were in quite different leagues.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:04 PM

After running the Clear Beyond all day in my system, I'm hearing some nice things from it...all the things you describe. I am curious how it will compare to the Anaconda SC. In time, I'll find out first hand...must wait for the cable itself, then I want to burn it in for a bit at first.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:34 PM

Hi Clee,

It sounds like you are quite satisfied with the Clear Beyond Speaker Cable. Was there anything you didn't like about it or wished was better? I am currently using the Clear Light and I want to make sure it is worth the significant extra expense to go for the Clear Beyond. Also, did you go bi-wire or single wire?

Thanks,
Ken
Old 04-07-2014, 05:33 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax4736 View Post
After running the Clear Beyond all day in my system, I'm hearing some nice things from it...all the things you describe. I am curious how it will compare to the Anaconda SC. In time, I'll find out first hand...must wait for the cable itself, then I want to burn it in for a bit at first.
Hi jax, I would be interested in your comparison of the Clear Beyond with the Anaconda SC. I use Shunyata conditioners but haven't tried any of their cables yet.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:49 AM

Hi Ken, I wish the Clear Beyond has just a little bit more extended highs. Not that it is particularly lacking and what are there are sweet and delicate, and I don't feel any loss of ambience air. My experience with SC's is quite limited. I used Tara Labs the One SC before (and some mid-level MIT before that). It has slightly more extended highs. However, the bass region, midrange body and the dynamics of the Clean Beyond are better suited to my taste that I made the switch. In between, I used the Clear Light. It was a competent cable, certainly a best buy. I have this suspicion, though unproven, that the Cardas Clear may be the sweet spot in the "new" Cardas range.

--Charles
Old 04-07-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEE View Post
Hi jax, I would be interested in your comparison of the Clear Beyond with the Anaconda SC. I use Shunyata conditioners but haven't tried any of their cables yet.
I'm near to completing an all-Zitron loom. For various reasons, the Speaker Cable came at the end. After the SC, I need to address a multimeter run from my preamp to power amplifiers. I run from the preamp in an adjacent room to the power amp in the listening room. So the cost will be, regrettably, high to use Zitron cable there.

So far, I'm using Anaconda PC's, Triton+Typhon for sources, Defender for the amplifier (I do think about another Typhon in its place), and Anaconda interconnect from DAC to preamp. I didn't go Anaconda PC's for my preamp and DAC, might do that someday.

Although each piece keep elevating performance, so far I've been most impressed with my intial acquisitions (two Anaconda power cords), and the Typhon. Those seemed to provide most bang for the buck.

I've been impressed with my loaner Cardas Clear Beyond SC. It's leagues ahead of my current SC (Ayre signature, which is Cardas-GR based I believe). It has me anticipating the Anaconda SC. Can't wait to compare.

I don't see much online about the Cardas Clear Beyond. I think Cardas only makes SC and PC in that lineup (no signal cables). I'm hoping I find a preference for the Anaconda SC, as it's half the price of the Cardas.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEE View Post
Hi Ken, I wish the Clear Beyond has just a little bit more extended highs. Not that it is particularly lacking and what are there are sweet and delicate, and I don't feel any loss of ambience air. My experience with SC's is quite limited. I used Tara Labs the One SC before (and some mid-level MIT before that). It has slightly more extended highs. However, the bass region, midrange body and the dynamics of the Clean Beyond are better suited to my taste that I made the switch. In between, I used the Clear Light. It was a competent cable, certainly a best buy. I have this suspicion, though unproven, that the Cardas Clear may be the sweet spot in the "new" Cardas range.

--Charles
Hi Charles,

Thanks for the feedback, it is greatly appreciated. Over the last 12 months I've entirely upgraded my system except for the Clear Light ICs and SCs. The truth is these cables do a really nice job but I feel there is still some room for improvement. So I've been taking my time before making any decisions. At this point, the cables that are high on my list are the Cardas Clear and Clear Beyond, WW Eclipse 7 and Silver Eclipse 7 and the Nordost Tyr 2. My first inclination is to stick with Cardas, as I've been very happy with the Clear Light. But I'll probably try to demo each of these cables before I make any decisions.

All the best,
Ken