AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Vinyl & Accessories

Vinyl & Accessories Food for the Soul

Old 01-11-2013, 04:43 PM

My RCM just arrived earlier today so I should have some feedback in a day or two.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBattles View Post
My RCM just arrived earlier today so I should have some feedback in a day or two.
I would love to hear the impressions of your machine. Would you mind giving me a idea of the steps in your procedure for record cleaning? I don't want my vacuum tube sucking up detritus but not sure of what my step by step process will be. My RCM should arrive tomorrow.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiCrossFit View Post
I would love to hear the impressions of your machine. Would you mind giving me a idea of the steps in your procedure for record cleaning? I don't want my vacuum tube sucking up detritus but not sure of what my step by step process will be. My RCM should arrive tomorrow.
http://www.audioaficionado.org/vinyl...ix-report.html
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:32 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBattles View Post
I would prefer as little noise as possible since I would like to listen as I clean. At 95 plus db that's just too loud to do so. I wasn't going to spend $2-3k on a cleaner but was willing to spend a bit more than what a 16.5 would cost.
Exactly. Sold the 16.5 and now use a Spin-Clean as it is silent and does a good job. Even the 78db that Don reports with the ClearAudio is higher than I am willing to tolerate. However, I would like to have the vacuum and am wondering if anyone has tried the Record Doctor V? Am thinking of moving the vacuum pump into the next room and running a pipe over to the machine. Likely more trouble than it is worth and will stick with the Spin-Clean so can listen as I clean.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 05-28-2013, 01:08 AM

I haven't tried it personally but have read that that the Record Doctor V is very LOUD.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekgod View Post
I haven't tried it personally but have read that that the Record Doctor V is very LOUD.
Moth RCM is VERY LOUD!!!!

Keith Monks is very quiet, but I do not know dB levels. Probably expensive in USA, as made on the Isle of Wight, UK.

Heard good things about Loricraft, again probably expensive in USA.
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 05-28-2013, 12:30 PM

I'm certain every person has their own unique method of cleaning records and I'm certainly still working on mine. But I finally cleaned some records yesterday on my new VPI 16.5 and it went very well. First I spend about 15 mins per record and this is mostly because I am new to analog and will get faster as I get the process down. Yes the VPI is loud, no it does not bother me one bit. Literally out of the 15 mins that I clean a record the vacuum gets used maybe 30 secs total. The rest of the time I am scrubbing, rinsing, wiping, and applying Last at the end. For the amount of time the machine runs I really don't care how loud it is, I was able to listen to music the entire time I cleaned records. I also only soak up clean distilled water into the machine, I do not vacuum up dirty cleaning liquids. To remove the cleaning liquid from the record I use micro fiber cloths.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:34 AM

image-3835701639.jpg

Deutschland Über Alles.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiCrossFit View Post
I'm certain every person has their own unique method of cleaning records and I'm certainly still working on mine. But I finally cleaned some records yesterday on my new VPI 16.5 and it went very well. First I spend about 15 mins per record and this is mostly because I am new to analog and will get faster as I get the process down. Yes the VPI is loud, no it does not bother me one bit. Literally out of the 15 mins that I clean a record the vacuum gets used maybe 30 secs total. The rest of the time I am scrubbing, rinsing, wiping, and applying Last at the end. For the amount of time the machine runs I really don't care how loud it is, I was able to listen to music the entire time I cleaned records. I also only soak up clean distilled water into the machine, I do not vacuum up dirty cleaning liquids. To remove the cleaning liquid from the record I use micro fiber cloths.
I assume you're reluctant to vacuum up cleaning fluids due to a concern over cross-contamination onto the Vacuum Wand?

Simple, buy another Vacuum Wand Assembly, the entire affair will cost you about $70 from a VPI Dealer.

There are a couple of issues that I see with this method you use.

First, by wiping off dirty fluids this way, you may cause slight abrasion-scratching to the record's surface. A properly adjusted VPI Vacuum Wand is actually sucking up the fluid immediately right before the Vacuum Wand's protective Velvet Strip touches the record.

By saying "properly adjusted", a VPI Vacuum Wand should actually be canted-rotated in its Holder by a small 1-2 degrees, so the Slot in the Tube more efficiently picks up fluids. You'll perhaps notice this, as seeing only one of the protective Strips getting dirtier-dustier faster than the other.

When Record Cleaning Fluids detach, and suspend contaminants in the groove (at least good cleaners will do this), this should be the time to remove them, while they're suspended in the cleaning fluid.

And, by wiping, you are probably actually letting fluids dry upon the record, not too good for a number of reasons. One, contaminants can re-attach themselves, and two, films left from cleaners can then be even harder to remove on follow-up passes.

Think of it as washing a car with soaps, then just wiping this entire soapy-dirty slurry down with a towel before rinsing.

As I've always said when I've discussed record cleaning with other folks over the years, the RCM in many ways does no actual "cleaning" per se.

They may provide a means of scrubbing fluids, and then a means of fluid removal.

That even highly sophisticated, and expensive machines (like for example Master Lu's Double Matrix) can go round and round with both Brushes scrubbing till the cows come home, if the cleaners don't effectively do their jobs, the RCM then may proove much less effective.

Again, think of it as washing dirty clothes with no detergents in the cycle.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunes View Post
really interested in your opinions on the clearaudio as I'm thinking of trading in my vpi 16.5. mostly because it heats up so fast and I like to clean about 20-40 lps at a sitting.

Installation of a 4" Pancake Cooling Fan on the VPI 16.5 is not that hard to do.

I went with an installation similar to what you would see on the VPI 17 RCM, with the fan permanently mounted on a side panel, with fan shroud, the whole bit.

Most 16.5 RCMs have three small vent slots on the bottom cover of the machine.
The cooling fan can be mounted at this location directly over those slots, without the need of cutting any more holes in the machine, have the fan exhause air out of the bottom of the machine, and it will draw air from the small opening under the Platter, where the Motor-Platter Arbor protrudes up through the top of the Top Deck.

One only needs to insure there's no air flow obstructions from the internal Batting VPI installs inside the machine.

One can simply tie the two leads from the 120V AC fan directly into the two AC leads going into the machine.

This means as soon as the RCM is plugged in, the fan would run continuously, negating the need for a seperate fan switch. No probs, as long as you don't leave your machine plugged in all the time in some permanent installation.

Air flow would not be as efficient as what I did, but any air flow would be better than none.

This easier method should offer better cooling for both motors, without the need of cutting, and would not be as detrimental to increasing the DB output of an already loud machine. Mark