AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 07-18-2012, 02:42 AM

Default Ref. 5se or Ref 150?

I had McIntosh C50 Pre and MC452 for Amp. Also had BAT 600se for a different flavor for rainy days.
I thought I was happy, then again I thought I was overall happy too, till I saw Shakira do waka waka.

Now where was I? Yes, I got into tube fever, again! In the past I had Airtight tube amps and pre. Also had Calypso Aesthetix with Mark Levinson ML452 as well as ML380s. So I know what I am hearing not necessarily know what I am talking about.

So, following the widely accepted advice of get the Tube Preamp rather than the Amp and avoid the hassle of heat and tube replacement in the tube Amp. I got Ref. 5.

The sound stage opened up, wider, deeper and all that good stuff.
Then again many electronics can do this. Wanting more, I replaced Ref 5 with Ref 5Se. I got more of the more.

Still something did not hit the spot. So I got Ref. 150. Now that changed the sound to my liking very much. But the Ref. 5se was getting hot and with this unusually hot summer I decided to replace it with Mac. C50 preamp. And I still liked the sound. Not much changed.
I also have Aurender s10 with ARC DAC 8. With the Ref. 150 in the system, I hardly touch the vinyl collection any more. The ref 150 softens the sound just enough that the convenience of Aurender and Ipad makes the Vinyl sound redundant.

So I am pondering, would I be wiser to trade in ref 5se for the new Ref. Dac? At some stage everyone will experience knee and lower back pain. Getting up to do the record flip will get painful at some time. I just cannot brag enough about the convenience of controlling the Aurender s10 with Ipad ap.
For those wanting to get into tube, it may be an interesting experience to buck the trend and get a Tube Amp first. Just a thought.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:39 AM

I haven't heard about the Ref 5se having a heat problem, how did you have it placed?
Old 07-18-2012, 09:55 AM
Searching for the Sound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayNiagara View Post
I haven't heard about the Ref 5se having a heat problem, how did you have it placed?
I have no issues with my REF 5SE getting running hot. This should not be the case. As Sunday asked, where are you placing it? How much space above the top cover do you have? Are you noticing any warping with the cover?

In general, 150/5SE combo is an excellent set up, with the right speakers. What speaksers are you using?

Rich
Speakers: Thiel 3.6
Cables: Transparent Power Protection: PS Audio PPP
Old 07-18-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar View Post
I have no issues with my REF 5SE getting running hot. This should not be the case. As Sunday asked, where are you placing it? How much space above the top cover do you have? Are you noticing any warping with the cover?

In general, 150/5SE combo is an excellent set up, with the right speakers. What speaksers are you using?

Rich
Agreed, I have never noticed my Ref 5 getting that hot even after having it on for hours.
XLO - cables; Aural Symphonics - cords; Shunyata - cords
Old 07-18-2012, 05:24 PM
Searching for the Sound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcD View Post
Agreed, I have never noticed my Ref 5 getting that hot even after having it on for hours.
In fact, mine was just running for 11 hours straight (I am still breaking it in) and I could easily keep my hand on the top cover without it being uncomfortable.
Speakers: Thiel 3.6
Cables: Transparent Power Protection: PS Audio PPP
Old 07-18-2012, 08:54 PM

Oh come on folks. The Ref5se puts out a lot of heat for a preamp. I am sure he is not talking about it overheating itself, but the room! But the 150 puts out even MORE heat. That is what I don't understand. If it is a heat issue, the 150 is the one to go...
For myself, on the really hot days, I replace my Ref5se/Ref150 with my Line Magnetic LM211IA tube integrated. It sounds very nice, not a big letdown, still has tube inner detail and musicality, and puts out much less heat. If you can occasionally live with its 32 wpc, it is a great hot day alternative.

Last edited by guitardave; 07-18-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:08 PM

I choose to NOT go the REF150 route because of heat load into room and power w future upgrades in mind....and on the heat front not sure I made an astute choice with the VX-R (Ayre) ...that puts out a LOT of heat....

The REF 5 SE certainlybheats up the cabinet i have it in - i do run open back, front doors open and 9" to shelf above. I think i have run it 8 hours at a stretch at vol level 40 or so....after it warms up i do not notice and flux changes....
Old 07-18-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayNiagara View Post
All relative. Ref 5se runs hotter than SS McIntosh C50. With both fans running full speed the Ref 150 seems to run cooler that Ref 5se. And Ref 5 ran cooler that the se version

I have good 8 inches above the Ref 5se with all 4 sides open. Yes the plexiglass cover did warp, and I was the first one to document it here. I have the metal cover now.

My speakers are Monitor Audio PL200. I just said that the C50 and Ref 150 was a very acceptable solution for the hot summer days. Come winter and the Ref 5se will be back in service.

Thank you Guitardave for coming to my rescue!

Last edited by Banter; 07-18-2012 at 09:43 PM. Reason: additional info.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:20 PM

My Ref 5SE runs a bit warm. The plexi cover did warp. I have the metal cover but have not done the replacement. More importantly, it sounds fantastic!

Mike
Old 07-18-2012, 10:55 PM

All of the ARC tube products produce heat....but I have not found any to dramatically increase the room temp...and that is with the Ref 250s in one room. And the Ref Anniv/150 in another. All sound great.