AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 11-03-2011, 03:05 PM

Default Considering buying ARC REF250 need advice for HT use.

As I am an owner of REF 40 preamp, I believe REF250 will be better matched
to my preamp more than D'agostino Momentum, the other option.

If any has experience running Ref 250 in Home Theater system, I would like to know can tube amp provide speed and deep bass punch for movie sound track well enough ? For example, sound of gun shot, a punch, will these KT120 powered amps do it well enough ?

My speakers have 86db/W of sensitivity and my room is large. Not quite sure that 250 watt is strong enough But I'm sure it will sound terrific at moderate volume.

Also I have to send my Transparent REF MM2 speaker cables back to factory to have them modified to match tube amp too. Or can I just use them without
recalibrated ?

Thanks
Old 11-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGA View Post
As I am an owner of REF 40 preamp, I believe REF250 will be better matched
to my preamp more than D'agostino Momentum, the other option.

If any has experience running Ref 250 in Home Theater system, I would like to know can tube amp provide speed and deep bass punch for movie sound track well enough ? For example, sound of gun shot, a punch, will these KT120 powered amps do it well enough ?

My speakers have 86db/W of sensitivity and my room is large. Not quite sure that 250 watt is strong enough But I'm sure it will sound terrific at moderate volume.

Also I have to send my Transparent REF MM2 speaker cables back to factory to have them modified to match tube amp too. Or can I just use them without
recalibrated ?

Thanks
What speakers do you have? What amps will drive your center and rears?
Old 11-04-2011, 01:27 AM

I have Revel Salon2/Wilson Siphia3 as main speakers, used alternatively. Current amps are Moon W7M. which provide great speed and dynamic for movies, but I want more musical
amp for 2 ch use. Surround speakers are Definitive technology driven by old Proceed amps.
I use 2ch 98%, 2% for movie time.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:49 AM

Toga, I'm pretty sure the ref 250 can deliver, in spades, all the the clarity, detail and punch you will ever require from sound effects HT audio tracks. But I seem to recall that your main concern is reliability, specially since you will be dealing with I believe 12 KT 120's and 2 6550's. Regarding the cables,if you do get the 250's try them first and if your satisfied just leave well enough alone. I also have no doubt, however, that the D'agostino amp will mate beautifully with your Ref Anniversaries.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:35 AM

DAfos,Thanks.
As soon as I can, I will try both 250 and Momentum at home. If both make the same
satisfaction, Ref250 will save me lots of money. D'Agostino Momentum right now is like they make them like a rare time piece, hard to find, hard to buy. I worried about the after sales service too, the company seems to be much smaller than ARC. If the amplifiers are so rare, then in the future I can have a problem too. Changing tubes in 250 could be easier than having a failed Momentum repaired.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:36 AM

OHH, didnt realize the Momentum was so expensive. As i mentioned in an earlier thread, ARC's power tubes rarely self destruct, its the smaller parts like biasing resistors, diodes, etc that sometimes fail, even when new. No big deal, with a reliable dealer these can be fixed in a day, it can be a bit traumatic when these niggling problems occur.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:07 PM

Toga

I currently use a Ref 150 with Sashas as the L/R channel of a 5.1 HT system. This is a hybrid system and like you, I listen to 2 channel only most of the time...but the family uses the HT primarily. The Sashas are 93db and even with dynamic content on Blue Ray....i don't sense the Ref 150 running out of steam. In full disclosure, I have just ordered the Ref 250s to replace the 150....and I will build another system around the Ref 150 as I don;t want to part with it.

I get the 250s in 2 weeks and expect subtle but favorable differences over the 150....I have no concerns over dynamics. My other speakers in the system are Wilson Center 3 and Wilson Surround 2...with 2 JL F212 subs....amp for center is ARC DS450M and for surrounds ARC DS225.

I highly recommend going with the Ref 250s....in 2 channel system they are pure magic.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:09 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by enatai252 View Post

I currently use a Ref 150 with Sashas as the L/R channel of a 5.1 HT system. This is a hybrid system and like you, I listen to 2 channel only most of the time...but the family uses the HT primarily. The Sashas are 93db and even with dynamic content on Blue Ray....i don't sense the Ref 150 running out of steam. In full disclosure, I have just ordered the Ref 250s to replace the 150....and I will build another system around the Ref 150 as I don;t want to part with it.

I get the 250s in 2 weeks and expect subtle but favorable differences over the 150....I have no concerns over dynamics. My other speakers in the system are Wilson Center 3 and Wilson Surround 2...with 2 JL F212 subs....amp for center is ARC DS450M and for surrounds ARC DS225.

I highly recommend going with the Ref 250s....in 2 channel system they are pure magic.
What a sweet system!!!
Old 11-09-2011, 02:38 AM

enatai252 ,
thanks, I forgot to tell you one thing. It may sound weird, but I don't use subwoofer.
I set it to mix 0.1 bass signal into main speaker. I loss this sharp bass impact once when
I change from Moon P8 preamp to ARC Ref 40. I guess the punch will be much less sharp
moving from Moon W7M amps to Ref250 too. This is not about dynamic, it's about how
fast an amp can shoot the woofer cone and stop it. But you gave me one idea that will
solve this problem. A pair of JL Audio subs to handle 0.1 bass signal..! My room is quite large that I need 2 subs and I keep putting my cash to improve sound of 2ch system, so I never have fund for sub woofers. But it's time to think about adding subs, of and
we're talking about having to buy a very long XLR cables to feed subs and 2 more beefy AC cords for subs as well
TOGA

Last edited by TOGA; 11-09-2011 at 02:40 AM. Reason: missed spelling
Old 11-09-2011, 11:31 PM

Toga

Interesting. What processor do you use in front of your preamp...or are you just using blu ray player analog outs and letting the player do the processing.

For HT playback...I highly recommend subs...I have 2 F212s and the impact on movies is staggering. I do not use subs for 2 channel. It's just my media server into ARC dac8 to KX-R to ref 150.

I get the 250s soon...shipping Monday...but even with 150 I don't notice any smearing or bloat in the bass. Even at loud levels the plucks on Mingus's bass are quick with a natural decay. I will let you know how 250 differs

I have not listened to Moon but I would not be so certain that you are giving up low end slam and speed by moving to ref 40 and 250

Good luck