AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Vinyl & Accessories

Vinyl & Accessories Food for the Soul

Old 07-30-2013, 11:56 AM
Vinyl, Baby!

Re-reading the article I linked above, and the comments about the Rega setup, it looks like I confused inner null points with innermost recorded groove points, so some of my original points are wrong.

On the Clearaudio scale, the r=60.325, 65, 70, and 75 represent innermost recorded groove, not inner null points. The inner null points actually vary according to arm mounting distance. For my Magnify arm, with a mounting distance of 222mm, the inner and outer null points are as follows:

r=60.325: 67.67, 117.90
r=65: 72.40, 120.68
r=70: 77.39, 123.38
r=75: 82.32, 125.82

For Baerwald null points are 66.0 and 120.9 mm, so the Clearaudio r=60.325 (IEC) is nearly the same.

For Lofgren null points are 70.3 and 116.6 mm. Clearaudio's r=65 seem to correspond most closely to that. For Stevenson null points are 60.325 and 117.42 mm, similar to what Rega favors. There is no close counterpart on the Clearaudio.

Last edited by Josquin des Prez; 07-30-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josquin des Prez View Post
[Edit: some of my original points here are wrong, confusing inner null points with innermost recorded groove. I have not corrected that here. See post #11]

I have been using the Dr. Feickert Protractor NG with my Clearaudio Ovation/Magnify/Talisman with the Baerwald geometry, and that has worked well for me.

This weekend I borrowed my dealer's Clearaudio Alignment Gauge (protractor) and it has different geometries. It includes the IEC standard (r=60.325mm) inner null point (Stevenson), but also has alternate geometries for r=65, r=70 and r=75mm (which Clearaudio calls their 3rd, 2nd, and 1st recommendation, respectively). The r=65 corresponds roughly to Baerwald (r=66.0). There is an article at VinylEngine that analyses the Clearaudio protractor and they give it a thumbs up.

The argument for the 70 and 75 mm inner null points is that most audiophile records are not cut that close to the spindle and a larger inner null point renders better geometry overall. However, if you do get closer than the r=70 or r=75 inner null point, the increase in distortion from tracking error rises more dramatically.

I decided to try a compromise and align my cartridge with Clearaudio's 2nd recommendation of r=70mm. That brings my cartridge just a bit more forward in the headshell, which I like for the unrelated reason that it provides a little more room behind the cartridge body for the very delicate and fragile leads of my arm cable.

I listen to all classical and jazz, and have a mixtures of old recordings and newer reissues. I have been listening to my altered setup with r=70mm and so far I like what I hear. From the beginning of the record side to at least the middle I think it sounds better. I believe I notice an improvement in imaging and resolution, but I can't say for sure. I set it back again and thought it didn't sound as good, so now I set it back again to r=70mm. I like what I hear.

Anyone else using alternate geometries for cartridge alignment? Thoughts?
Dean... When I mounted the GFS on the MT10's 222mm radius, I went with the CA 1st recommendation, r=75. On the most part, I am happy with the choice. I have noted some minor distortion on some LPs on the last 5s or so of play. I may give r=70 a go at some stage but am loathed to touch the screw torque because azimuth is spot on!
Old 07-30-2013, 08:27 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPal View Post
Dean... When I mounted the GFS on the MT10's 222mm radius, I went with the CA 1st recommendation, r=75. On the most part, I am happy with the choice. I have noted some minor distortion on some LPs on the last 5s or so of play. I may give r=70 a go at some stage but am loathed to touch the screw torque because azimuth is spot on!
I have been going back and forth between r=65 and r=70. Right now I am at r=70. Both sound good to me.