AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Vinyl & Accessories

Vinyl & Accessories Food for the Soul

Old 06-29-2013, 06:56 AM

I buy a lot of pre owned vinyl at record stores near me which when cleaned up sound terrific. Many can be found for under $5.00 . My wife told me she would buy a record before CD's, make a cassette tape copy and never play the record again. Some of the records I have been buying fit that MO . I have new vinyl as well, some of the new 180 gm vinyl sounds great but some have been a big disappointment. Some of the better new Lp's have been: Eric Clapton-unplugged, Pink Floyd-the wall, Ray Brown-Soular Energy, Patricia Barber-cafe blue etc.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
I buy a lot of pre owned vinyl at record stores near me which when cleaned up sound terrific. Many can be found for under $5.00 . My wife told me she would buy a record before CD's, make a cassette tape copy and never play the record again. Some of the records I have been buying fit that MO . I have new vinyl as well, some of the new 180 gm vinyl sounds great but some have been a big disappointment. Some of the better new Lp's have been: Eric Clapton-unplugged, Pink Floyd-the wall, Ray Brown-Soular Energy, Patricia Barber-cafe blue etc.
You've just described my vinyl buying habits and feelings regarding new vinyl pressings. When out of town, we always visit thrift stores and used vinyl outlets. We've found some gems in the most unlikely places.
Amps: VTL 450MKII, Speakers: B&W 801S-3, Full Function Pre-Amp: McIntosh C-2500, Multi-Format Digital Disc Player: Esoteric DV-50. Hard Drive Based Digital Playback: Mac Mini w/Esoteric D-07 DAC. Vinyl Playback:Technics SL-1210MKII w/Jelco 750 arm , Denon DL-103r w/hardwood body and Denon DP-500M w/Jelco 750 arm and AT-14sa. Power and Cabling: PS Audio Power Plant Premier, Cabling=various mid level MIT.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:30 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan W. View Post
You've just described my vinyl buying habits and feelings regarding new vinyl pressings. When out of town, we always visit thrift stores and used vinyl outlets. We've found some gems in the most unlikely places.
And , as I have reported several times previously in forums here on AA, I have bought thousands of records from the sources named . . and have gotten thousands more from folks who had "given up on vinyl" - most of them for free or at a very low price - say $100 bucks for 400 mostly mint records. They want them out of the house and are happy to get even a tiny sum of money for them.

Add to the list, garage sales, flea markets, estate sales, listings in the classified ads in Craigslist or in your local newspaper.

I've also bought a lot of records from radio stations when they were "getting rid of all that vinyl junk".

This year, I got about 650 records free from a local college library who had them hidden in a closet because they didn't use them anymore and needed the space.

Good Will, Salvation Army, local thrift stores, etc. Fortunately for me, most of the classical records in those places have never been played or are in mint condition, but rock, etc. may be in "marginal to awful" shape. Pull every record you're interested in out of its sleeve and look at the condition.

The good news here is that most of these sources sell records cheap - like a dollar each, or 100 records for $25.00 or $50.00.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .

Last edited by AudioNut; 06-29-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:39 AM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPal View Post
Josquin.... I found this original vintage 1964 MINT Blue Note Japanese pressing recently. Unopened & shrink wrap intact. Would it be worth a premium?
It cannot be an original release if it is Japanese. The recording is from 1964 but this reissue will be from much later. I would look on eBay to see what Japanese reissues go for. Japanese reissues are desirable because of the quality of the vinyl and pressings.

OTOH: they are almost always done from copies and not the original tapes. More recent reissues will be digitally sourced. I typically avoid Japanese reissues for those reasons.

When I say original Blue Note recording go for thousands, I really should have been more careful with my words to say original Blue Note releases, i.e. first pressings out of a batch of say 500. I have a mono first pressing of Hank Mobley's "Dippin'." That's probably worth $400-500 or so.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesuvius View Post
Vinyl is outrageously expensive, especially for limited pressings or out of print items. A friend just purchased Hell Freezes Over for a tad over $600 - and that is cheap.

IN-SAN-I-TY.
A copy of Hell Freezes Over recently sold on E Bay for $2190.00 on the Simply Vinyl label.They must really like the Eagles.....
Old 07-01-2013, 12:17 PM

I too have an issue paying big $s for LPs. One area I have successful in getting a "good deal" has been estate auctions, you do have to be lucky though. Last fall the wife and I went to an auction and bid on a collection of LPs (about 150+ of them, some never opened!). I guess there were no music lovers there because we got the entire collection for $3:00 . Not a bad deal I must say.
Ed
2 Channel - Esoteric KO3, VPI Classic, C2300, MS300, MEN220, Bryston 7b SST, B&W 802D, JL F113 (2), MDA 1000, Olive 4HD, Sonos w/Remedy, WW Silver Eclipse ICs , Stillpoints Ultra mini, MR85 tuner, Aurender A10 server

Headphone listening
- Audeze LCD3 with Moon Audio Black Dragon Balanced cables, Sennheiser HD650, WW silver Eclipse Nano cable, Bryston BHA-1 amp

HT -
MX135, OPPO 103D, B&W CDM7, B&W center, Sony 65" LCD
Old 07-10-2013, 01:19 PM

I think part of the fun of vinyl is finding good records cheap. Our local Humane Society sells every record for $1.00. I normally buy 20-30 at a time, keep the ones I like and (re)donate the ones I don't so they can sell them again. Keeps us in tunes and our furry friends fed.

Regards, Mark
Old 07-12-2013, 01:46 AM

I'd suggest that the answer to the original question depends on one's priorities and the availability in any given format of the music and the performances one seeks.

I just took delivery this afternoon of the four used LP's shown below for a total of $45 plus shipping. Listening as well as visual checks indicate that the advertised grade of M- is on target for all four. That and the sonics evident in each (one's a 1966 White Dog, one's a 1975 Two-Eye, and the two Angels are blue-label mid-1960's issue) justify the cost IMO.

A $30-to-$35 quality reissue of something I want but don't have is equally worthwhile IMO when compared to an original-release used LP that the reflecting-the-vinyl-resurgence market has pegged at anywhere from twice to three or even more times that price. And it's not that far off adjusted-for-inflation-wise when I recall paying anywhere from $4.98 to $6.98 in the Bay Area for major-label classical stereo releases during the 1970's.

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 AKM version (to be replaced by inbound Bryston BDA-3), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.