AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Vinyl & Accessories

Vinyl & Accessories Food for the Soul

Old 05-06-2013, 07:01 AM

Default Beatles Blue Box BC13 UK pressing

Hi guys,
Found a uk pressing of the beatles blue box 78 box set unopened sealed do you think 1300 USD is a reasonable price?

Interested In thoughts?
Old 05-06-2013, 02:55 PM

I like the new box set for $300. To my ears these sound excellent despite what you might read on the internet. Also the mono versions will be out on vinyl in the next year. If you don't mind spending $100 per album go for it . In my comparison listening to the new box set and the original versions that I have, I can't say I prefer one over the other for most of the albums.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
I like the new box set for $300. To my ears these sound excellent despite what you might read on the internet. Also the mono versions will be out on vinyl in the next year. If you don't mind spending $100 per album go for it . In my comparison listening to the new box set and the original versions that I have, I can't say I prefer one over the other for most of the albums.
Yeh I already have an old 1978 uk pressing which i liked was more thinking of keeping this one sealed.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:56 AM

Well... I am looking to get a vinyl collection as I just got a new 2 channel system and turntable and was under the impression that the Blue UK was better than the US version per reports. I have been looking for the right one on ebay and it always seems that what I find under "sold" is often better than what things are offered for active listings. However, I find that checking sold listings is the best gauge. If you see that $1,350 BIN relisted repeatedly (which is the case here) that means nobody thought it was worth that much and the seller is hoping for someone to really want it above "market value". It is clear that unplayed box sets go for way less than $1,300, especially if the box is not in mint condition. When you start getting the boxes that look pristine with the wrapping intact, the asking price is way higher ... but then you are really not interested in getting the best sounding records, you are just being a collector since when you open the wrapping the value goes down, right? LOL.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelG View Post
Well... I am looking to get a vinyl collection as I just got a new 2 channel system and turntable and was under the impression that the Blue UK was better than the US version per reports. I have been looking for the right one on ebay and it always seems that what I find under "sold" is often better than what things are offered for active listings. However, I find that checking sold listings is the best gauge. If you see that $1,350 BIN relisted repeatedly (which is the case here) that means nobody thought it was worth that much and the seller is hoping for someone to really want it above "market value". It is clear that unplayed box sets go for way less than $1,300, especially if the box is not in mint condition. When you start getting the boxes that look pristine with the wrapping intact, the asking price is way higher ... but then you are really not interested in getting the best sounding records, you are just being a collector since when you open the wrapping the value goes down, right? LOL.
Thanks Joel good points you make. Yes this one won't be leaving the wrapper I've already got a uk pressing to play
Old 05-07-2013, 10:32 AM

I just purchased a UK Blue Box 5 min ago for $349, unplayed, box in great shape, the not in the wrapper. I look for mint condition, because I want to make sure I make every effort to (hopefully) get a copy that sounds great, but do not want to pay a premium for the wrapper because I plan to play it and not just collect it. Overall, I find the "Sold" and "Completed" listings sorted from highest to lowest price most useful. I am sure there are more sophisticated shoppers and collectors who have advanced "tricks" to assess value and identify good deals within and outside of ebay, but that is what I do. On the Blue Box sets, there sure seems to be a lot of them on the market compared to something like the Led Zeppelin Road case!
Old 05-07-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelG View Post
I just purchased a UK Blue Box 5 min ago for $349, unplayed, box in great shape, the not in the wrapper. I look for mint condition, because I want to make sure I make every effort to (hopefully) get a copy that sounds great, but do not want to pay a premium for the wrapper because I plan to play it and not just collect it. Overall, I find the "Sold" and "Completed" listings sorted from highest to lowest price most useful. I am sure there are more sophisticated shoppers and collectors who have advanced "tricks" to assess value and identify good deals within and outside of ebay, but that is what I do. On the Blue Box sets, there sure seems to be a lot of them on the market compared to something like the Led Zeppelin Road case!
It's a good tip Joel actually forgot you can sort by completed listings thumbs up!