AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 05-07-2015, 04:35 AM

Default Wilson Audio WATT Puppy Speakers...

Even though how much I wish I and want a new pair of Wilson Audio Speakers, it is just not going to be possible due to lack of funds, so it looks like I will have to down the S/H market and look at something like the above speakers which still have such a great reputation and what I want to ask you experts is, what should I look out for and which ones in particular would be the best buy as far as you guys are concerned?

Any help greatly appreciated

Giancarlo.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giancarlo View Post
Even though how much I wish I and want a new pair of Wilson Audio Speakers, it is just not going to be possible due to lack of funds, so it looks like I will have to down the S/H market and look at something like the above speakers which still have such a great reputation and what I want to ask you experts is, what should I look out for and which ones in particular would be the best buy as far as you guys are concerned? Any help greatly appreciated Giancarlo.
Giancarlo,

I have only listened to Watt Puppy 8, which I own, and Sasha and Sasha 2. I listened years ago to first designs and liked them but I do not remember the model.
To my ears, the WP8 are more musical than both Sasha and Sasha 2. They are obviously less neutral, they sound warmer with a upper bass bump, but I find their sound more human than
the newer speakers.
Some say that the WP7 is pretty close but I never heard them.
Both WP7 and WP8 have very interesting prices on the used market.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
Giancarlo,

I have only listened to Watt Puppy 8, which I own, and Sasha and Sasha 2. I listened years ago to first designs and liked them but I do not remember the model.
To my ears, the WP8 are more musical than both Sasha and Sasha 2. They are obviously less neutral, they sound warmer with a upper bass bump, but I find their sound more human than
the newer speakers.
Some say that the WP7 is pretty close but I never heard them.
Both WP7 and WP8 have very interesting prices on the used market.
Thank you so much Jerome for the feedback that really does help me, as I need this sort of advice from users and it gives me a good idea of which model number to look out for, I have seen a few and I know of a some W/P 6 which I could possibly demo, maybe I shall but they are priced a little steep but that is the nature of this hobby so I will no doubt have to stretch my funds a little bit further

Once again thank you
Old 05-08-2015, 08:22 AM

Jerome has some good advice. I used to own WP 6's, 8's then went to Maxx 2's and 3's. I'd add each of these Wilson WP's are very good. They are all a little different. A huge key to success with any of the iterations is great set up. The WP 6's can really sing with great setup and great power amps. The 8's are more resolving and more relaxed at the time.

I have to agree used Wilson WP's are just a incredible value.

Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
Preamp: Robert Koda K10 Amp: Ayre MX-R
Cables: Transparent Opus MM2 Spkr, Opus Gen 5 Interconnect
Power Shunyata Triton/Typhon/DPC-6, Anaconda Zitron cords (x9), Sigma HC (x1)
Digital dCS Vivaldi DAC, Transport & Clock w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Jan Allaerts MC2 Finish & Lyra Atlas, Nagra VPS/VFS
Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x2)
Old 05-08-2015, 09:20 AM

Disagree here
I've owned every WP from 3 on, Sasha, MAXX and Alexia

As far as WP go, 8's are the most musical, earlier versions being more analytical.
Sasha is far more musical the any of the WP's. As jfech says, setup is everything. A SS amp is a good start, especially with any of the WP's. An Ayre VX5 would be a great amp to start with
Enjoy your journey....
Old 05-08-2015, 10:17 AM

Enjoying my Sasha. I find them very musical
Old 05-08-2015, 11:09 AM

Hi Giancarlo I notice you live in the UK...(so do I) What's your budget ?

I bought secondhand Sophia 2 last year for £5,500. Sophia 3 will cost far more - say £8-9k.

W/P 7 tend to sell for around £7.5k. WP8 up to £10k. I saw Sasha I for sale last year for £14k but you might pick up them up closer to £12k as the Sasha II is out now.

I would think about what you can afford as there are big differences in cost.

By the way I love my Sophia 2 and would highly recommend them. No question the speakers get better as you go up the range - I would love the Sasha II (one day )

Last edited by Mikeoz; 05-08-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:56 AM

Hello Chaps, Thank you so much for the great advice that you have given me and it has also given me a lot to mull over but I have time as it will take me a while to get what I really want and I am in no rush, as I want to get the right pair that will last a little while, so thanks all
Old 05-09-2015, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeoz View Post
Hi Giancarlo I notice you live in the UK...(so do I) What's your budget ?

I bought secondhand Sophia 2 last year for £5,500. Sophia 3 will cost far more - say £8-9k.

W/P 7 tend to sell for around £7.5k. WP8 up to £10k. I saw Sasha I for sale last year for £14k but you might pick up them up closer to £12k as the Sasha II is out now.

I would think about what you can afford as there are big differences in cost.

By the way I love my Sophia 2 and would highly recommend them. No question the speakers get better as you go up the range - I would love the Sasha II (one day )
Hi Mike,

Yes I am in the UK and not so far from you as I am in Kent as I see you are in Surrey so not a million miles away

I have been looking around long and hard at all the different prices not just in the UK but also in europe which I am not discounting as I do not mind the hassle if they are worth it

The Sophia Speakers are beautiful too, but then again all the Wilson range is as far as I am concerned sonically, very impressed by these speakers from the different combinations that I have heard so far, very impressed and it has taken my level of expectations up to another bar which I was not expecting
Old 05-09-2015, 07:53 AM

You won't be sorry. I found my Wilsons after 2 years of searching. They really are fantastic and by far my favourite piece of kit.

I assume you have some decent space as they need some room.