AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges

Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges Welcome to the Dark Side!

Old 04-30-2011, 11:24 AM

Default Koetsu Black and Rosewood cartridges...

Do any AAers have a Koetsu cartirdge? Specifically interested in user feedback on the Black Goldline and Rosewood cartirdges but wuld like to hear from any Koetsu cart owners on the house sound. Appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks
Old 04-30-2011, 12:04 PM

I have had both versions. I currently have a Urushi in my collection. The Black was mounted on a Wilson Benesch I had for about two years. For the money, it is really hard to beat. it is very well balanced and musical. The Rosewood becomes magical at the Rosewood Platinum, which I think is around $6000 now. I don't think you can lose with the Black, and there are times I still wish I had mine.

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:04 PM

I use the Urushi Blue, and have my eyes on a Rosewood sig. Platinum. Ive used the black and regular rosewood, and both of those cartridges are very warm, gooey and slow sounding compared to the rest of the line.

The Urushi's and the RSP are really the jewels in the line, offering the best combination of "midrange magic" and dynamics, without being rolled off on the top.

If you find these intriguing, another cartridge that I've just put my hands on that is very similar to the Urushi and the RSP is the new Palo Santos from Sumiko. I'd put this baby right up there with an RSP at about 40% less. ($3995 MSRP)

I was an inch away from pulling the trigger on an RSP, but I may grab the Sumiko at the end of the review period.

The new Pearwood is also excellent at $2500, a little warmer and slightly less resolving than the Palo Santos.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:18 PM

Thanks randerson3024 and Jeff. If they roll off the highs a bit, that may not be too bad with my Thiels but if they are "gooey and slow" I will look elsewhere. Thx for the feedback so far. Keep them coming if there are any others out there.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:34 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Cyril,
I have an Urushi Vermilion and I think it is fantastic. Beautiful mids, even better bass than my Shelter, with very sweet highs. i've never heard violins sound so natural until I got my Urushi. Also very quiet in the groove.

Agree with Jeff on this one, the sweet spot in the Koetsu lineup are the Urushis or the Rosewood Sig or even better, Signature Platinum.

-PC
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Cyril,
I have an Urushi Vermilion and I think it is fantastic. Beautiful mids, even better bass than my Shelter, with very sweet highs. i've never heard violins sound so natural until I got my Urushi. Also very quiet in the groove.

Agree with Jeff on this one, the sweet spot in the Koetsu lineup are the Urushis or the Rosewood Sig or even better, Signature Platinum.

-PC
Stephen...if that is the case, it's more than I want to spend for a cartridge upgrade down the road at this point. Thx for the feedback all.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:46 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Cyril,
I bought my Vermilion for $1850 used with less than 400 hrs....just as a point of reference.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Cyril,
I bought my Vermilion for $1850 used with less than 400 hrs....just as a point of reference.
I am leery about buying carts used though given how delicate they are unless one pops up locally and my dealer's vinyl guy can inspect the cart under a microscope but thx for the follow up.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:55 PM
Cool, calm scientist

I bought my Shelter and the Urushi used, and my Grado mono Sonata from Jeff used, and have had virtually no problems. I find that discriminating audiophiles tend to take very good care of their gear. Jeff in particular takes extremely good care of his gear and packs his stuff he sells like nobody else.

Just my 2˘.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I bought my Shelter and the Urushi used, and my Grado mono Sonata from Jeff used, and have had virtually no problems. I find that discriminating audiophiles tend to take very good care of their gear. Jeff in particular takes extremely good care of his gear and packs his stuff he sells like nobody else.

Just my 2˘.