AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges

Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges Welcome to the Dark Side!

Old 02-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraudio View Post
Peter (SoundSmith) has retipped several carts for me. A couple of Grace F9E's, a Sumiko Virtuoso Boron and two Denon DL-103D's. IMHO, his retips sounded better than the original in all cases. I did the $250 retip on all of the above mentioned carts. Highly recommended!
I am leaning in that direction. I think this week I will mount a 20 yr. old Goldring MC I still have. If it works I may send the DV 20x2 off for retip. If not I will think more about what I want to do.

I'm half-tempted to upgrade to a DV 17D3. Have heard very good things about it. However, I don't know how well my Moon 110LP performs with low output MCs.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post
Thanks a lot Stephen. If necessary I have an old Goldring MC that might work for me.

I will consider the Soundsmith retip, but two months seems a long time to wait for it.

Otherwise, I might just take the easy, quick route and purchase a retip exchange (about $650). Now I wonder if I can and should go for the low output version 20x2L: I don't know if you can switch model on a retip exchange and I don't know how my Moon 110LP with sound with low output MC. My dealer insists I shouldn't get low output unless I go to a more expensive phono pre.

If I got something else, I would keep it to $800 or so.
Dean,
It all depends on what gain your phono stage has and what the output of the low output Dynavector is in relation to that. you want the input to the phono stage to give a cartridge output between 2.5 and 10 mV to have proper RIAA equalization; the target for RIAA EQ is 5 mV. Less than 2.5 mV, and you won't have enough gain to provide accurate equalization, and more than 10 mV, and you run the risk of clipping and running out of headroom. So, depending on how much amplification your phono stage will give you, and the intrinsic output of the Dynavector, you should be able to determine if your Moon 110 LP will work.

Here's an example for you: my Koetsu Urushi Vermilion has an output of 0.2 mV. My EAR 834P phono stage has a 1:10 step up transformer. Applying the 10X gain gives me an output of 2 mV which is still below the lower spec limit of 2.5 for the RIAA equalization curve. I have to use a 1:30 step up transformer from Bob's Devices to give me a 30X gain. 30 x 0.2 mV gives me 6.0 mV on my Koetsu, which is right in the middle of the RIAA equalization spec range and close to the ideal target of 5 mV.

Hope this helps.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:58 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
I see he offers an upgrade over that for $350. It includes a ruby cantilever and an "Optimized Contour Nude Contact Line Diamond"
Dean,
The optimized contour nude contact line diamond that Peter offers requires extremely careful setup and adjustment to be optimal; given that you can't adjust azimuth and VTA (well, easily, anyway) on a on a Rega arm, I would opt for the “regular” nude contact line diamond Instead, which is less setup critical than the optimized contour nude contact line diamond. And you save 100 bucks in the process!

Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Dean,
It all depends on what gain your phono stage has and what the output of the low output Dynavector is in relation to that. you want the input to the phono stage to give a cartridge output between 2.5 and 10 mV to have proper RIAA equalization; the target for RIAA EQ is 5 mV. Less than 2.5 mV, and you won't have enough gain to provide accurate equalization, and more than 10 mV, and you run the risk of clipping and running out of headroom. So, depending on how much amplification your phono stage will give you, and the intrinsic output of the Dynavector, you should be able to determine if your Moon 110 LP will work.

Here's an example for you: my Koetsu Urushi Vermilion has an output of 0.2 mV. My EAR 834P phono stage has a 1:10 step up transformer. Applying the 10X gain gives me an output of 2 mV which is still below the lower spec limit of 2.5 for the RIAA equalization curve. I have to use a 1:30 step up transformer from Bob's Devices to give me a 30X gain. 30 x 0.2 mV gives me 6.0 mV on my Koetsu, which is right in the middle of the RIAA equalization spec range and close to the ideal target of 5 mV.

Hope this helps.
I think you misunderstood me. I already understand the differences between L and H and how the phono pre has to be set.

I know it will work per say -- the Moon supports low output MCs and can be set correctly (via internal jumpers) for the DV 20x2L or 17D3. However, it's not an expensive phono stage ($600 MSRP) so it remains to be heard how good it sounds with low output cartridges. In general, you want to be more high end for low output cartridges.

What I really need to determine is how is the Moon's performance for low output cartridges. Is it just OK, or is it very good as it is for high output (where I think it sounds better than the $850 DV phonostage).
Old 02-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Dean,
The optimized contour nude contact line diamond that Peter offers requires extremely careful setup and adjustment to be optimal; given that you can't adjust azimuth and VTA (well, easily, anyway) on a on a Rega arm, I would opt for the “regular” nude contact line diamond Instead, which is less setup critical than the optimized contour nude contact line diamond. And you save 100 bucks in the process!

Good advice. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:08 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Dean,

Hope this helps.
The Moon has:
Adjustable impedance loading (100 and 47k ohms).
Adjustable capacitance loading (0 and 100pF).
Adjustable gain settings (40dB and 60dB).

DV 20x2H is 0.3mV
DV 17D3 is 0.3mV

I don't know what my old Goldring is, but similar to the DVs (I'm not at home). My main worry about it is that it's too old and the suspension won't work.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:15 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
The Moon has:
Adjustable impedance loading (100 and 47k ohms).
Adjustable capacitance loading (0 and 100pF).
Adjustable gain settings (40dB and 60dB).

DV 20x2H is 0.3mV
DV 17D3 is 0.3mV
Dean,
Looking at the game settings of 60 DB on your Moon, I would probably agree with your dealer that you would need a higher gain phono stage for a low output Dynavector cartridge. My Koetsu was only .2 mV and 70 DB from my EAR was not enough, hence the requirement for a step-up transformer. You could keep your Moon and use a low output MC cartridge if you also used a step up transformer, though. Personally, I really like what a step-up transformer brings to the table musically, a smoother and sweeter sound than many high gain phono stages. Some folks say they can be too smooth, but I personally really like the way they sound.

Cheers,
PC
Old 02-01-2012, 10:20 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Dean,
Looking at the game settings of 60 DB on your Moon, I would probably agree with your dealer that you would need a higher gain phono stage for a low output Dynavector cartridge. My Koetsu was only .2 mV and 70 DB from my EAR was not enough, hence the requirement for a step-up transformer. You could keep your Moon and use a low output MC cartridge if you also used a step up transformer, though. Personally, I really like what a step-up transformer brings to the table musically, a smoother and sweeter sound than many high gain phono stages. Some folks say they can be too smooth, but I personally really like the way they sound.

Cheers,
PC
Thanks for the evaluation.

Well if the Goldring works and can sound even reasonable, that might get me by while I retip my DV. I'll see what my dealer has to say about options. Maybe they'll do a warranty replacement.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:32 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

The Goldring cartridge I have is:

Electro IILZ Type-A
0.25 mV
load resistance: 100 ohm
load capacitance: 200-1000 pF
Old 02-01-2012, 11:45 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Dean,
If you want to borrow my Shelter 501 MkII MC, a 0.5 mV cartridge while you wait for your Dynavector to get retipped, just let me know. You could also borrow my Grace F9E Ruby if wanted to experience some MM goodness.