AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 03-30-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
You seemed content with your SP3 and don't need anything else and that is fine. But Bryston needs new buyers for their products and new buyers want more.
True, I am content with my SP3, and you can rest assured that when the drivers and crossovers rot on my Infinity Composition Preluded P-FR and Infinity Quadropoles, my next speakers will be Bryston. As far as Bryston needing new buyers, all manufacturers need new buyers. The management at Bryston are trying to educate the public, and I truly appreciate it. It seems to be a no nonsense company focused on good sound for its customers. Back in the '70s, I owned several equalizers from Radio Shack to Sound Craftsmen. They all had one thing in common; all screwed up the sound. This sound did not get better until I removed them and the only reason I kept buying them is the same reason I kept buying unreliable BMWs, I thought the newer more expensive one would be better, but I was dreaming.

Last edited by gbaby; 03-30-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:54 PM

Default Bryston SP3 Preamp-Processor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
True, I am content with my SP3, and you can rest assured that when the drivers and crossovers rot on my Infinity Composition Preluded P-FR and Infinity Quadropoles, my next speakers will be Bryston. As far as Bryston needing new buyers, all manufacturers need new buyers. The management at Bryston are trying to educate the public, and I truly appreciate it. It seems to be a no nonsense company focused on good sound for its customers. Back in the '70s, I owned several equalizers from Radio Shack to Sound Craftsmen. They all had one thing in common; all screwed up the sound. This sound did not get better until I removed them and the only reason I kept buying them is the same reason I kept buying unreliable BMWs, I thought the newer more expensive one would be better, but I was dreaming.

[emoji23][emoji23]
At that time the letters BMW got to be known for "Break My Wallet".

Times have changed and competition has forced BMW to improve their products. My wife has owned two BMW in the last 10 years and both have been great. Technology has changed so much to the degree that yesterday's cars cannot be compared to today's cars.

Technology has drastically changed in audio compared to the 70s too.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
[emoji23][emoji23]
At that time the letters BMW got to be known for "Break My Wallet".

Times have changed and competition has forced BMW to improve their products. My wife has owned two BMW in the last 10 years and both have been great. Technology has changed so much to the degree that yesterday's cars cannot be compared to today's cars.

Technology has drastically changed in audio compared to the 70s too.
The reason I am crying is that I purchased a quarter of a million dollars worth of BMWs in the late '80 and '90s and they all depreciated down to -0-. I am happy your wife has had a better experience than mine. As far as I'm concerned, BMW means Bring your Money With you. I still have my red '94 3 series convertible, but I drive it infrequently because every 10,000 miles you need to spend 5 thousand in repairs. The best automobile I've ever owned is a 2010 Toyota Corolla. The best audio equipment I've owned is Bryston.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:11 PM

I've looked through the manual, but failed to discover if the SP3 is fully balanced or just has XLR connectors. I'm on page 7 of this thread that seems to have over 110 pages.

Last night I played the Legends of Jazz Blu-ray using HDMI from my recently acquired DX-5 DSD through the SP3. Both the audio and video were superb. LCR amps are Parasound JC 1 monoblocks, speakers KEF Reference 107/2s and 204/2C.

db
Old 05-08-2018, 03:28 PM

Hi

Yes they are fully balanced differential inputs and outputs.

james
Old 05-08-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
Last night I played the Legends of Jazz Blu-ray using HDMI from my recently acquired DX-5 DSD through the SP3. Both the audio and video were superb. LCR amps are Parasound JC 1 monoblocks, speakers KEF Reference 107/2s and 204/2C.

db
If you are speaking of the one featuring Ramsey Lewis, it does sound superb.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
If you are speaking of the one featuring Ramsey Lewis, it does sound superb.
That's the one. And the video is superb as well. I'm projecting onto a 100" Stewart 1.5-gain screen. The Anchor Bay video processor the Ayre DX-5 DSD uses may account for the striking video that matches the audio so well.

db
Old 05-08-2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston View Post
Hi

Yes they are fully balanced differential inputs and outputs.

james
Thanks for the information, James. I'm trying to decide if the SP3 may have made my Parasound JC2 BP superfluous. I am using a JC3 phonostage and JC 1 monoblocks for LCR.

db
Old 05-09-2018, 09:10 AM

Default Connecting phono preamp

James,

My usual vinyl source is a Thorens TD 124 with SME III arm and Ortofon 30H cartridge that goes through a Parasound JC 3 phono preamp and JC 2 BP preamp to JC 1 amps, balanced from JC 3 to JC 2. I recently acquired a Technics SL 1200 Mk 2 with Ortofon RM Red cartridge. It's going through the JC 3 and balanced bypass of the SP3 to the JC 1s. The output level is at least 15 dB higher than other sources and is accompanied by frequent loud clicks. Am I using the wrong connection? If so, what is the recommended way to connect a MM cartridge to the SP3.

I have yet to resort to reinstalling the JC 2 BP nor have I tried the 30H through the SP3 connection. I'm not a vinyl enthusiast, but enjoy the TTs as icons.

db
Old 05-09-2018, 11:43 AM

The typical way to connect a turntable to the SP3 is as follows:

Turntable -> Phono Preamp -> SP3

Notice that the phono preamp is connected directly to the SP3.

If I understand your post correctly, it looks as if you are connecting the phono preamp to another preamp and then to the SP3. If that is the case, that may explain the high output.

Also, make sure that you have selected the proper cartridge setting (Moving Coil or Moving Magnet) in the phono preamp.