AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 06-03-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerCan View Post
I see most of you guys are having a great time with the 6v6 tubes. Honestly I have yet to find something that unseats the 6bg6ga I have in mine. I am going to try some kt88's soon and I am on the lookout for some 6550's that might work.
Another option!

So, I see Phillips 6bg6ga sold by Michael Marx for $50 matched pair with adaptors ($12/each, $30/matched pair, $10/each adaptor). Is this what you are running? Can't link to it I don't think. 5U4 Rectifier?

I have some 6550's. Definitely have Tung-Sol reissues and think I might still have a couple of Winged C's. I'll post impressions when I get to them. The tubes are lining up for audition!!

Last edited by pstrisik; 06-03-2014 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post
Another option!

So, I see Phillips 6bg6ga sold by Michael Marx for $50 matched pair with adaptors ($12/each, $30/matched pair, $10/each adaptor). Is this what you are running? Can't link to it I don't think. 5U4 Rectifier?

I have some 6550's. Definitely have Tung-Sol reissues and think I might still have a couple of Winged C's. I'll post impressions when I get to them. The tubes are lining up for audition!!
Yes those are the ones I am running. sovtek 5ar4/gz34 rectifier is working fine I also use the 5u4 and a Japanese 5gk20 with good results. I also have some old school 6bg6 that I have tried. They sounded good but I did not use them long enough to get an accurate feel for their flavor.

KT88's getting ordered today. I think I have posted this pic before but . . .
Old 06-04-2014, 11:19 AM

Thanks Beercan and for the photo. I may give these a try. Not too expensive. My wife commented on "that alien thing" with my KT150 tubes and 274B rectifier. Those 6bg6ga with adapters should really send her into outer space!

Although the new Omega's seem to have a high WAF factor (single full range 7" driver):

Last edited by pstrisik; 06-04-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:40 AM

For some reason, I was thinking the EL-34 wasn't a perfect drop-in on the KT-150. Different pin outs, or something? I could be way off on this. I might have been reading in an old Vacuum Tube Valley magazine that EL-34's and KT-88's were different.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:00 AM
Retired

Nope............ same pin/base configuration on the KT-88/EL-34 tubes. Swap them around in my SLI-80 whenever the mood strikes. Considerably different glass envelope that may not let a fat KT-88/150 fit where a thin EL-34 does, but the socket is the same.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 06-06-2014, 10:18 PM

I finally tried the 274B
Old 06-06-2014, 10:41 PM

Beercan,

Wow! Nice photography.

Mine doesn't glow nearly that much. I'm not sure what brand it is. Says "tubestore.com preferred series". Likely new production. Do you know the brand of your 274B?
Old 06-07-2014, 12:26 AM

Mine is the Sophia electric one. Thanks for the compliment.

Those Omegas look great. I have always wanted to try nice full range speakers. How do they sound (as if I have to ask)
Old 06-07-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Mine is the Sophia electric one. Thanks for the compliment.

Those Omegas look great. I have always wanted to try nice full range speakers. How do they sound (as if I have to ask)
I'm still settling in with them and driver rolling. I ordered a pair of alnico drivers along with the ferrites that came with the speakers and have moved back and forth between them. Just as of yesterday, running the alnicos, it felt like these were keepers and my system notched up to a new high. I have a thread with much description and photos if your interested. Since I can't post a direct link, even to something like this, you would have to find the Omega section in the Audio Circle forum. It's the currently most active thread about "Super 7 XRS".

The short answer is that I've never experienced soundstage or imaging like this. The argument about "coherence" with single drivers and no crossover seems to have merit. The "texture" of the music, horns, strings, voices, is just stunning. Detail is there without fatigue. I do run a pair of good subs and let them run as high as 90hz to fill in although listening to them without subs is not as bad as I thought it would be.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:
I finally tried the 274B
So what did you think of that Sophia 274B? Gorgeous tube! What were you using before that 274B?