AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Video

Video Projectors, video processors, & screens

Old 04-24-2012, 06:10 PM

Default Is it time to up grade again???

I had my A/V calibrated the Sunday before last by a professional. He loved my new speakers and amps. He was only luke warm on my preamp; here was his comment on my projector:

(By the way I had used ARC on my old speakers and old amps, but not on my new stuff...)

Hi Jim,

Your Panasonic resulted in 7 foot Lamberts from the screen. *The target is
14 fL. *I find 9 to 18 fL is acceptable.

I do not use ARC. *You had used it and it was very poor. *I disabled it to
improve the sound. *ARC does a poor job in my experience. *I used the
settings I showed in the printout to correct your audio along with the
settings on the subwoofers and wiring errors.

You do not have parametric EQ like a QSC unit or a Classe SSP-800. *That is
why I prefer a Classe SSP-800 to Anthem or other units. *The Classe has 5
bands of parametric EQ on every channel to correct problems. *Since ARC does
not work you are limited to simple tone controls on each group of speakers.
In reality your system was reasonably flat without that. *That is the
benefit of using Aerial 20T speakers.

Ouch!!! I guess when you try and take a 2K projector to lite up 150" screen well good luck. But let's remember that I was fat, dumb, and happy with this projector. I still feel that it gives a great picture, especially for the money.

So because of the output of light or lack of for a large screen, I may be upgrading. He recommended the Runo LS-10i. He first suggested ones that were in the 30-50K range and I quickly corrected him on that amount. I can see spending something in the mid teens to bring my video more in line with my audio. So what do you suggest and what are you using?

My wife was not real happy that I bought the new speakers and amps. She loves the HT, but felt it was great with the original equipment. So I told her that I will take my time and maybe pull the trigger within the next 12 months. If I do not up grade I can still be happy with what I have, but I really want to have the ultimate HT experience.

I also need to consider will 3D just die off or will it become an important feature? And is it to early to be thinking about 4K projectors?

Cheers,

Jim

Last edited by trek737; 03-26-2013 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Sorry, advertising for non-sponsors is not permitted.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:01 AM
Rebellious!

Well, do you agree with professional assessment? Do you want the forum to feed the upgrade bug?
Old 04-25-2012, 05:23 AM
Learning to Listen

Just remember, it's easy to plant a seed of doubt, but much more difficult to be happy and content, which apparently you were.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pider View Post
Just remember, it's easy to plant a seed of doubt, but much more difficult to be happy and content, which apparently you were.
Quote:
Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o View Post
Well, do you agree with professional assessment? Do you want the forum to feed the upgrade bug?
Good point from both of you. Yes I was / am content with the video. But like my audio I was content with it as it sounded very good before I upgraded, now with my new amps and speakers it sounds even better!

So I guess what I am asking does anyone have a similar experience of using a big screen and is using a projector that my not be putting out optimum light output? Have you considered upgrading your projector? And what kind of projectors are the members here on AA using and how do they like it?

Thanks again guys for your comments.

Jim
Old 05-11-2012, 04:12 PM

Personally I love JVC projectors. I ran a 100" screen and used a HD250 (entry level JVC) and was super happy with it.

3D is something a lot will do now (I personally don't care for it) but I think a good 2D picture is it for me. Runco's are nice however a lot more coin. I'm not up on their models really anymore but always were a good DLP when I saw them. I'm not really sold on 3D yet and there is still not much out there for programing which is what to me, makes a difference.

Also I don't think 4K is really needed unless well you are sitting that close to the screen you have issues. To me 4K right now is like 3D, we are still getting people on board with HDTV and asking to make another jump to that is going to take a bit of time. I would try and get the best 2D picture possible at this point and go from there.

Also what kind of screen are you using? Just a plain white? I used a 1.1 gain screen in white and was fine but that extra 50" is a lot of room to fill.
2 Channel- BAT VK31, VTL Deluxe 300 fully modded, Esoteric DV50, Carver Amazing Silvers, Music Hall 2.2LE turntable (for now), Dynavector phono pre, RGPC 600S, Squeezebox Touch with Arcam RDac, MIT Shotgun S3 SC, Nordost IC's, PS Audio and Signal Cable PC's.

Last edited by cstmar01; 05-11-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:43 PM

Jim,
150" is a nice big screen. Assuming it is a 16:9 and 150" is the diagonal measure, you'll need a projector with a CALIBRATED lumen output of 1000 lumens to get to 16 ft-lamberts at the screen. This assumes a 1.0 gain screen. 1000 lumens calibrated is pretty hard to get. The advertised lumen output on most projectors is way overstated. For example, my JVC RS-50 has a rated lumen output of 1300 lumens. After I calibrated it to D6500K, the light output dropped to 400 lumens. That's fine for my 106" dia 1.3 gain screen, it gives me 16 ft-lamberts. It would be way too dim for your setup. I understand the newer JVC's are brighter, maybe 950 lumens calibrated, with a new bulb. That will drop off as the bulb ages, so might not be enough for your setup. Good hunting!
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 05-22-2012, 07:52 PM

---Hi Jim,

Your calibrator is right regarding the light output on your huge screen.
You should read some pro reviews online regarding front projectors and light output on various screen sizes.

What is ARC? Not from Anthem?

Do you still want to stay with 150" size?

Your wife, you buy her presents right?
Old 08-02-2012, 04:07 PM

Hi Jim,

I upgraded late last year to a Runco LS-10i. I went from a 110" screen to a 140" screnn (16x9). It is a very bright projector. I have good picture even with the lights on.

I have attached some reviews that I discovered during my quest last year.

Runco LS-10d - and LS-10i Projector Review - Overview

Runco LS-10i 3-Chip DLP Projector | Sound and Vision Magazine

Runco LS-10i 3-Chip DLP Projector - Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

RUNCO D-73d, Q-750i, LS-10, & LS-3 Reviewed

Good hunting!

John
Sources: Kaleidescape Media Server, Oppo BDP-93
Vintage: Marantz Model 7T pre/Model 15, Klipsch Cornwall, Thorens TD160, Teac A-4300
Old 08-03-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmar01 View Post
Personally I love JVC projectors. I ran a 100" screen and used a HD250 (entry level JVC) and was super happy with it.

3D is something a lot will do now (I personally don't care for it) but I think a good 2D picture is it for me. Runco's are nice however a lot more coin. I'm not up on their models really anymore but always were a good DLP when I saw them. I'm not really sold on 3D yet and there is still not much out there for programing which is what to me, makes a difference.

Also I don't think 4K is really needed unless well you are sitting that close to the screen you have issues. To me 4K right now is like 3D, we are still getting people on board with HDTV and asking to make another jump to that is going to take a bit of time. I would try and get the best 2D picture possible at this point and go from there.

Also what kind of screen are you using? Just a plain white? I used a 1.1 gain screen in white and was fine but that extra 50" is a lot of room to fill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Jim,
150" is a nice big screen. Assuming it is a 16:9 and 150" is the diagonal measure, you'll need a projector with a CALIBRATED lumen output of 1000 lumens to get to 16 ft-lamberts at the screen. This assumes a 1.0 gain screen. 1000 lumens calibrated is pretty hard to get. The advertised lumen output on most projectors is way overstated. For example, my JVC RS-50 has a rated lumen output of 1300 lumens. After I calibrated it to D6500K, the light output dropped to 400 lumens. That's fine for my 106" dia 1.3 gain screen, it gives me 16 ft-lamberts. It would be way too dim for your setup. I understand the newer JVC's are brighter, maybe 950 lumens calibrated, with a new bulb. That will drop off as the bulb ages, so might not be enough for your setup. Good hunting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRingsEE View Post
---Hi Jim,

Your calibrator is right regarding the light output on your huge screen.
You should read some pro reviews online regarding front projectors and light output on various screen sizes.

What is ARC? Not from Anthem?

Do you still want to stay with 150" size?

Your wife, you buy her presents right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
Hi Jim,

I upgraded late last year to a Runco LS-10i. I went from a 110" screen to a 140" screnn (16x9). It is a very bright projector. I have good picture even with the lights on.

I have attached some reviews that I discovered during my quest last year.

Runco LS-10d - and LS-10i Projector Review - Overview

Runco LS-10i 3-Chip DLP Projector | Sound and Vision Magazine

Runco LS-10i 3-Chip DLP Projector - Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

RUNCO D-73d, Q-750i, LS-10, & LS-3 Reviewed

Good hunting!

John
Thanks guys... I have put buying a new projector on the back burner for awhile.... maybe six months to a year. We have just about completed a remodel of the game room and theater entrance. So we need to let the money tree in the back yard recover.

Thanks for the reviews on the Runco... keep them coming. I will be doing my research on new projectors as I look towards buying a new one in the near future!

Last edited by trek737; 08-03-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:02 AM

Default Sony VW1000ES 4K Projector...

Well true to my word that I gave to my wife I have waited almost a year and the upgrade bug has struck again. I was invited this week to a local demo by Sony show casing their new VW1000ES 4K projector. WOW!!! The picture was Amazing! Vibrant colors, amazing clarity, natural skin tones, very bright, with deep blacks and that was with just 1080P Blu-ray disc. The 4K material was spectular as well. They showed Spiderman in 4K and it was really impressive! They used a 130" Stewart Firehawk screen for this demo. Sony says it can easily light up a 200" screen and that at one of their shows they used a 170" screen and had 25 ft. lamberts of light. Impressive!

An extra benefit is if 4K, UHD, takes off like HD did then I will not have to upgrade at that point. Also it does 3D which I might use once in awhile, but what really is important is how good the 2D picture is. I mentioned to Jeff Meier who calibrates my room and he thinks this will be a perfect fit for my big 150" screen.

Here is one review:
Sony VPL-VW1000ES 4K SXRD Projector | Home Theater

Here is a quote from the article:

"Overall, I felt the upconversion in the Sony, while not perfect, will satisfy all but the nit-pickiest viewer. Given a good 1920 x 1080 HD source, the projector produced some of the best 2D images I’ve yet seen. Without a doubt, a big factor in this was the punchy, 21-foot-lambert brightness I achieved on this 1.3-gain screen (high lamp mode, contrast at 85, Advanced Iris set to Auto Full dynamic mode, and 160-plus hours on the lamp). Even in the low lamp setting, the peak output was over 16 ft-L, but I preferred the high setting, which should still produce 16 to 17 ft-L on a 1.0-gain screen of the same size."

Here is the 3D review:
Sony VPL-VW1000ES 4K SXRD 3D Projector: Take 2 | Home Theater

And a quote from this article:

"I immediately confirmed that the new production unit’s 2D performance was every bit as impressive out of the box as that of the first sample. In fact, after nearly 200 hours of break-in, it produced 26 ft-L of peak white on the StudioTek screen in its High lamp setting (Cinema Film 1 mode, Advanced Iris in Auto Full—one of its dynamic modes—and Contrast at 85)—even higher than that of the earlier unit. If this is too bright for you (and it likely will be, suggesting that for 2D the VPL-VW1000 can light up an even bigger screen), it can be reduced by turning down the Contrast slightly, switching to the Low lamp setting (where it produced almost 18 ft-L), using the projector’s manual iris (although that defeats the dynamic-iris feature), or some combination of the three."

I would love to hear any comments or experience that anyone has concerning the Sony VW1000ES.

Cheers,

Last edited by trek737; 01-26-2013 at 09:15 AM.