AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Vinyl & Accessories

Vinyl & Accessories Food for the Soul

Old 12-30-2009, 02:28 PM

Default $3.00 +/- used vinyl

I am most interested in opinions and experiences regarding *used* vinyl purchases and the use of high end album cleaning machines: i.e. VPI, Clearaudio, etc.

I ask because my decision as to whether I will venture back into vinyl is very much dependent on my ability to re-acquire a lot of the classic rock LP's that I had collected during the late 1960's, the entire 1970's, and into the very early 1980's.

It seems clear to me that buying *used* LP's will be a requirement to achieve my minimum goal of 300 LP's.

To this point, I visited a local music store that sells *used* LP's. They have in the area of 1000 *used* LP's. Most cost $3 each. Some covers are in very nice condition. The other covers range from decent to poor. Yet, in most cases, the album [often sleeveless] looked about the same. I would be hard pressed to say this album went in that cover meaning that cover quality was irrelevent with regards to pricing.

I would like to hear from those of you who own LP cleaning machines if you have purchased $3+/- LP's and A/B' ed their sound performance before and after a cleaning [or two cleanings].

Are all of these inexpensive used albums relegated to hisses, pops, and crackles [as a general rule], or are these high end LP cleaning machines able to bring back many of these used LP's to a clean sound [like new, perhaps]?

Many Thanks!!!
Old 12-30-2009, 04:14 PM
Love Those Tunes

I can't speak to high-end cleaning machines, as I have not used them. I use the old-fashioned method for cleaning LP's (soap, water, brush). I can speak to used LP's, as I have purchased 100's in recent memory. After all those purchases, I can say that I've found only a couple of those LP's that I've considered tossing because of 'noise' issues. You need to find a good, reliable source(s) to buy your LP's from, and stick with that source(s). Your reward of listening to 100's of fine LP's will far out-weigh the few disappointments you will find during your LP adventure, especially at $3 a pop. Take your time, be patient, and enjoy the adventure.
Tandberg TD20A, Harmon Kardon HK 400xM
PPP, Power Port, WW Ag Eclipse IC's & Speaker Cables, WW Ag Electra PC's
Old 12-30-2009, 04:33 PM

I use the old-fashioned method for cleaning LP's (soap, water, brush)...

This will most certainly be my approach. Can you please describe the "brush" you use since I was thinking about using pieces of a white cotton t-shirt: basically something that didn't leave its own form of residue like a cotton ball would.

I can speak to used LP's, as I have purchased 100's in recent memory. After all those purchases, I can say that I've found only a couple of those LP's that I've considered tossing because of 'noise' issues.

Do the *used* LP's that you purchase look about the same to you when you purchase them - whether they end up being good or bad?

I ask because I am wondering if your experience has led you to look for very specific concerns that would steer you clear of making the purchase. I've been away from LP's for sooooooo long that I cannot remember which visible imperfections were meaningless and which usually meant there was an issue.

I agree that listening to 20 or so LP's at $3 apiece is worth the effort alone. It's just that my driving distances are long enough that I'd like to be more familiar with possible issues and improve my success rate if at all possible.

Thank You!!!
Old 12-30-2009, 04:50 PM

Matt...check out this thread on Agon: AudiogoN Forums: Tips on Buying Quiet Quality sounding LP's. I had similar question in the fifth entry in the thread and got some good responses. Hope it helps.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:00 PM

Matt,

First, let me say... I am far from an expert... Where is Serge anyway ???

But, I do LOVE vinyl, and couple of years ago, finally, reluctantly, purchased a record cleaning machine.

I bought the venerable VPI 16.5.

It has done an incredible job making all of my vinyl sound better... not just my 50 cent bargain bin finds.. but also my fancy, brand new, 180gm pressings.

It's not fun, it's not glamorous, the machine is ugly, loud...

but, I think, if you want to listen to vinyl, on systems like ours, ... IT IS a necessity...
Old 12-30-2009, 08:20 PM

I agree, if you are serious about vinyl, then a record cleaning machine is a must.

I started with a VPI 16.5, and it does a great job, but it is noisy to operate and will heat up if you have a lot of records to clean.

About a year ago, I upgraded to the VPI typhoon and have cleaned about 300 records with it so far. It is a lot quieter to operate, and can handle large batches without even getting warm.

Both deliver great results on bargain vinyl, and you will be amazed at how good some of these inexpensive records sound.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Matt...check out this thread on Agon: AudiogoN Forums: Tips on Buying Quiet Quality sounding LP's. I had similar question in the fifth entry in the thread and got some good responses. Hope it helps.
Great thread. Thanks for sharing the link. Thanks to all of you for offering your suggestions and your findings through your listening experiences. I do very much want to own a higher quality cleaning machine, but the cost will certainly require new thinking ... Hmmmm.

Since my return to vinyl is completely dependent on my ability to find and purchase a minimum of 300 desired LP's, I might rethink my purchase order - especially since I do have access to a mint condition Dual TT as a loaner while I build a new LP collection.

300+ LP's
Cleaning Machine
new TT

This seems to make perfect sense based on replies thus far, and the cost of *used* LP's is sooooooo inexpensive that the hit or miss % is far less concerning for me. I'd be perfectly happy with a 20% success rate at $3 apiece when searching for those rare 1970's LP's that I simply cannot find new [or expect to]. That equals $15 an LP which is more than acceptable for those 'must have' albums - with the expectation that easier to find LP titles [more copies in the rack to choose from] will generate a higher success rate.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:49 PM

IYDMMA, What genre are you most interested in?
Old 12-30-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two dot View Post
IYDMMA, What genre are you most interested in?
My LP collection [and renewed interest in re-assembling it] ranged from classic groups such as:

the Rolling Stones, The Who, The Doors, Pink Floyd, The Kinks, BTO, Zeppelin, Tom Petty, the Eagles, Earth,Wind and Fire, Boz Scaggs, Steely Dan, Yes, the Doobie Brothers, Little River Band, Supertramp, the Tubes, Kansas, Greatful Dead, Elton John, Santana, Beach Boys, Springsteen, Seger, Cream, Styx, Southside Johnny, Toto, Carly Simon, JT, Bob Welch, Neil Young, Queen, ELO, ELP, Phil Collins, Marshall Tucker Band, Allman Brothers, Skynnard, Aerosmith, The Cars, Cat Stevens, Jethro Tull, Fleetwood Mac, Jefferson Starship, J Geils, Bad Co, Blue Oyster Cult, Marvin Gaye, Traffic, Foreigner, etc. etc.

I was all over the place because I often purchased LP's for one or two tracks - others for the complete album. And, I just loved to move around the offerings.

Marriage, maturity, whatever steered me toward decades of classical music, art galleries, museums, symphonies, book readings, poetry readings, and a closet filled with much different clothing all of which shelved the previous music list almost completely. But, the interest is back, and this is the motivation to re-acquire vinyl and a TT: to accomodate that era of music listening. We have a large classical CD collection. It'd be fun to focus the vinyl on the music listed above and keep the formats separated by their focus.

Last edited by 2-Channel; 12-30-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:34 PM

With the music you listed...

You WILL find a lot of great used vinyl out there...