AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > ModWright Instruments

ModWright Instruments Elegance. Simplicity. Truth.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-04-2014, 05:30 PM
Bikeman71's Avatar
Bikeman71 Bikeman71 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pollock Pines, CA
Posts: 383
Default Oppo 105 Darbee - with Modwright - Direct DSD

I've been thinking about what would be my best bet to upgrade from my McIntosh MVP881. One of the options that I came up with is the Modwright Oppo 105. I called Kristin at Modwright today (who is really great to work with) and she stated that they are announcing the Modwright Oppo 105 Darbee edition today (I guess it was the right day to call!). I didn't know anything about the Darbee edition until I researched further. The Darbee edition is something that is coming straight from Oppo. For most, the improvement in picture quality is enough of a reason to spend the extra $100. But, I also discovered that the Darbee edition upgrades the DAC input to allow direct DSD streaming from a computer. That is a nice upgrade!

From Modwright, the modifications all remain the same....many talk about amazing sound quality.
__________________
Brent
Equipment: McIntosh MC302, McIntosh MX121, Franco Serblin Accordo, Oppo 105 Darbee Modwright, Running Springs Haley
Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse Interconnects, Wireworld Silver Power Cords

Last edited by Bikeman71; 02-04-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-04-2014, 06:50 PM
Pider Pider is offline
Learning to Listen
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeman71 View Post
I've been thinking about what would be my best bet to upgrade from my McIntosh MVP881. One of the options that I came up with is the Modwright Oppo 105. I called Kristin at Modwright today (who is really great to work with) and she stated that they are announcing the Modwright Oppo 105 Darbee edition today (I guess it was the right day to call!). I didn't know anything about the Darbee edition until I researched further. The Darbee edition is something that is coming straight from Oppo. For most, the improvement in picture quality is enough of a reason to spend the extra $100. But, I also discovered that the Darbee edition upgrades the DAC input to allow direct DSD streaming from a computer. That is a nice upgrade! From Modwright, the modifications all remain the same....many talk about amazing sound quality.
Calling Jeff!
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-05-2014, 09:47 AM
djwhog's Avatar
djwhog djwhog is offline
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,943
Default

Any more info on Darbee edition?

Sent from my iPod touch using A.Aficionado
__________________
Dave's Cave main Basement system
C500C C500T preamp and a MX150 control center, (3)McIntosh 601 mono block amps, (1)7270 McIntosh amp driving rears in 7.1 (1)Halo A23 amp for side surround, & (1)452 McIntosh amp for main towers part of a bi-amp setup with 601's, Esoteric K-03 JL F212 sub all glued together with mostly all WireWorld & Moon Audio Black Dragon cables.

Headphone Rig
Audeze LCD-X Sennheiser hd 800 & Sennheiser hd 700 cans, Woo Audio WA-6SE with Sophia Princess & matched pair of 6GL7/6EM tubes Black Dragon Cable upgrades on the HD700s!

Streaming Dac Gear
includes K03, high-end custom built Toshiba core i7 16 gigs Wireworld Platinum USB cable, Ipad mini & Itouch driving media center 20 for full remote control anywhere on property and even via web to have music on when I get home Also can remote control MX150 via web too.

Analog Rig
VPI Classic II running with a Dynavector 20X2-H MC Phono Cartridge

Also
For living room and outside rear deck is connected to MX150 with (1)Parasound 5250 amp. Oppo 205 , Sony ES777, (1)PPP, and a DirectStream P15 Power Plant

Speaker system
Builder of custom very high end Dynaudio's 2 Main towers, 1 super tweeter Dynaudio built system above each tower, 4 surrounds all Dynaudio Esoteric drivers 6.5 mids, esoteric dome tweeters, 2 rear surrounds, and a custom 5 speaker 2 7" drivers, 2 3" domes, and a d21 tweeter in the center channel to compliment my 2 300lb custom subs and a JL F212

Misc Build Features
AC Power Electrical overview is 4 20 amp 120 circuits all 10-3 wiring extra shielding with walls custom modded with cross bracing 2x6s over a 14" thick concrete with R19 and weather barrier
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-06-2014, 11:48 AM
JJinID's Avatar
JJinID JJinID is online now
The Architect


 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Scenic Idaho
Posts: 2,348
Default

I believe that the ModWright Oppo 105 is an outstanding universal player, and I'm extremely pleased with mine. The Darbee edition for the extra $100 is a no-brainer, both for the enhanced video processing but also more importantly for the upgraded USB digital input which does allow for DSD processing by the DACs. The non-Darbee version will play DSD files, but only via USB connection with an external hard drive or memory stick. I don't have a lot of DSD digital files at this point, so this isn't a huge issue for me, but for the extra $100 having that option on the new player is an easy choice to make. My understanding of the Darbee processing is that it is somewhat display dependent on the level of improvement, and that is does make a more significant difference with 3-D material if that matters to you.

As far as the sound quality of the ModWright Oppo, it would definitely be a nice upgrade for you over your MVP881, both in terms of features and sound quality. I have heard both units multiple times, and while the 881 is a nice sounding unit, the MW 105 is definitely a better sounding player, especially once you upgrade the stock tubes. Be sure to let us know what you decide on...
__________________
McIntosh MC501s, XRT29s, XR27, WS350s
ModWright LS 300 Preamplifier
Denon AVR-A100 HT Receiver
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0 Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Wireworld, WyWires Cables
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-06-2014, 02:08 PM
Joe Appierto's Avatar
Joe Appierto Joe Appierto is offline
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Dayton, NJ
Posts: 466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJinID View Post
I believe that the ModWright Oppo 105 is an outstanding universal player, and I'm extremely pleased with mine. The Darbee edition for the extra $100 is a no-brainer, both for the enhanced video processing but also more importantly for the upgraded USB digital input which does allow for DSD processing by the DACs. The non-Darbee version will play DSD files, but only via USB connection with an external hard drive or memory stick. I don't have a lot of DSD digital files at this point, so this isn't a huge issue for me, but for the extra $100 having that option on the new player is an easy choice to make. My understanding of the Darbee processing is that it is somewhat display dependent on the level of improvement, and that is does make a more significant difference with 3-D material if that matters to you.

As far as the sound quality of the ModWright Oppo, it would definitely be a nice upgrade for you over your MVP881, both in terms of features and sound quality. I have heard both units multiple times, and while the 881 is a nice sounding unit, the MW 105 is definitely a better sounding player, especially once you upgrade the stock tubes. Be sure to let us know what you decide on...

I'm not sure I understand the distinction that's being made here. I happen to have a 105D due to arrive in a couple of days and was curious.

Thank you.
__________________
Joe
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

Digital: Oppo BDP-105D, XLO Signature 1.4 digital coax and PS Audio DirectStream DAC
Integrated: conrad-johnson CA200
Speakers: ML EM-ESL
The Rest: Acoustic Revive LAN-PA, RLI-1, XLO S1.1 and S3.1 interconnects and S5.1 speaker cables,Acoustic Revive RR-777 with King Rex MKII PSU ; Prana Wire Photon USB 2 . XLO 1.4 digital cable and WireWorld 7 USB 3; Power Wing II PLC, Prana Wire Satori and Vajra power cords
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-06-2014, 03:12 PM
Bikeman71's Avatar
Bikeman71 Bikeman71 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pollock Pines, CA
Posts: 383
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Appierto View Post
I'm not sure I understand the distinction that's being made here. I happen to have a 105D due to arrive in a couple of days and was curious.

Thank you.
I understand that with the Darbee edition, you can stream DSD direct from your computer to the Oppo. With the non-Darbee edition, a memory stick or other vehicle must be used and accessed with the menu on the 105. Basically, it makes DSD files directly available from your computer.
__________________
Brent
Equipment: McIntosh MC302, McIntosh MX121, Franco Serblin Accordo, Oppo 105 Darbee Modwright, Running Springs Haley
Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse Interconnects, Wireworld Silver Power Cords
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-06-2014, 03:16 PM
Bikeman71's Avatar
Bikeman71 Bikeman71 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pollock Pines, CA
Posts: 383
Default

Oh, and I just placed my order for the Modwright Oppo 105 Darbee. It will be completed by March 17th. You may want to give Modwright a call now if you are interested....it's not posted on their website yet, but they have an incredible deal running for the Oppo 105 Darbee Edition modification.
__________________
Brent
Equipment: McIntosh MC302, McIntosh MX121, Franco Serblin Accordo, Oppo 105 Darbee Modwright, Running Springs Haley
Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse Interconnects, Wireworld Silver Power Cords
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-06-2014, 04:47 PM
Joe Appierto's Avatar
Joe Appierto Joe Appierto is offline
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Dayton, NJ
Posts: 466
Default

Hi Brent,

I didn't know about the direct streaming ability, thank you. I also have an external hard drive coming so it'll be interesting to see if there's a difference between the two.

The Modwright will have to wait until funds allow. I did have a Modwright/Music Hall CD-25 that I bought about 10 years ago and thought they did an excellent job on the player.

Regards,
__________________
Joe
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

Digital: Oppo BDP-105D, XLO Signature 1.4 digital coax and PS Audio DirectStream DAC
Integrated: conrad-johnson CA200
Speakers: ML EM-ESL
The Rest: Acoustic Revive LAN-PA, RLI-1, XLO S1.1 and S3.1 interconnects and S5.1 speaker cables,Acoustic Revive RR-777 with King Rex MKII PSU ; Prana Wire Photon USB 2 . XLO 1.4 digital cable and WireWorld 7 USB 3; Power Wing II PLC, Prana Wire Satori and Vajra power cords
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-06-2014, 06:45 PM
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
Kal Rubinson Kal Rubinson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeman71 View Post
I understand that with the Darbee edition, you can stream DSD direct from your computer to the Oppo. With the non-Darbee edition, a memory stick or other vehicle must be used and accessed with the menu on the 105. Basically, it makes DSD files directly available from your computer.
True. In addition, all the 10X models will pull DSD from your computer via Ethernet/SMB.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-07-2014, 12:21 AM
TommyC's Avatar
TommyC TommyC is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,108
Default

Anyone compared the Modwright to EVS OPPO mod? I'm looking for a 1 box player.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:47 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ęCopyright 2009-2019 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Inspire By Dennis Had
Inspire By Dennis Had
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Dragonfire Acoustics
Dragonfire Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase