AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 07-05-2018, 11:07 AM

Default What Classical Music Are You Listening To Tonight?

Congratulations Bart, high praise from the master. It’s always interesting to see what you’re listening to, and you often make my wallet lighter[emoji6]
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2

Last edited by Antonmb; 07-05-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:11 PM

Just got this...

Concerto Italiano, Rinaldo Alessandrini

which includes:
Caldara: Sinfonia No. 3 'La morte d'Abel'
Durante, F: Concerto No. 2 in G minor
Galuppi: Concerto a quattro in G minor
Geminiani, F: Concerto grosso Op. 3 No. 3 in E minor
Locatelli: Sinfonia Funebre composta per l'esquie della sua Donna
Mascitti: Concerto a 6 in E minor, Op. 7, No. 2
Pugnani: Adagio for Strings in B flat major
Vivaldi: Concerto a quattro, Op. 12 No. 3, RV 124

Here is some background material:
Quote:
Following on from the noteworthy album ‘1600', released in 2012, ‘1700' is a vibrant homage to Italian Baroque, in which Rinaldo Alessandrini has brought together the most outstanding Italian composers of the first half of the eighteenth century: Locatelli, Mascitti, Vivaldi, Caldara, Durante, Galuppi and Pugnani. All of these composers went into exile, serving prestigious foreign courts. They each evolved the ‘Italian style,’ based either on their own tastes or those of the country in which they had taken refuge. Each composer created his own share of wonders, to which Maestro Alessandrini’s intelligent and re-fined interpretation brings a passionate fresh perspective.

“Throughout the eighteenth century, and to a considerable extent, the fate of many Italian composers was to emigrate, and serve at courts and chapels far from home. Many of them broke away from the rules governing the legato style of their home country, developing a completely independent personality through the mingling of musical languages and the superimposition of tastes and fashions. Accordingly, in their works national styles lose their sharply-defined con-tours, as they undergo a process of personal and subtle assimilation of the most striking aspects of their host country’s musical culture.

In particular, the Italians exported their taste for melodic cantabile, their elegance, and a certain kind of histrionic individualism inherited from the opera stage and the great instrumental virtuosi. The encounter with musical Europe often caused a realignment of those elements, though they remained one of the multiple components of the composers’ personalities.”
A joy of a disc, glowingly recorded by the Naive label. Selected by the Gramophone as one of its ten Editor's Choices for June 2018.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:43 PM
Life is beautiful

Thank you my friends!

Since I subscribed to Tidal and Qobuz, I promised myself to buy no more than one album per month.
It's (often) difficult, but I succeeded so far (sometimes I cheat a little, by purchasing 'albums' containing more than 1 CD ).

But I have hundreds of favourites in my Qobuz account now, and dozens in my Tidal account.

What a wealth of great music there is to be found: new releases as well as older ones.
Great time to be a music lover nowadays, also with the excellent gear available.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 07-14-2018, 05:49 AM
Life is beautiful

Friedrich Wilhelm Heinrich Benda - Viola Concertos 1-3
Jean-Eric Soucy, viola
SWR Sinfinieorchester Baden-Baden und Freiburg, Bernard Labadie
via Qobuz

Excellent on all accounts.
Wonderful, light way to start the day.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 07-15-2018, 05:30 AM
Life is beautiful

Haydn - Piano Sonatas, Vol. 7
Jean-Efflam Bavouzet, piano
via Qobuz

Our most underrated composer?
These are wonderful pieces and Bavouzet is a dedicated Haydn player.
Recorded (and well done so) on a Yamaha piano.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Haydn - Piano Sonatas, Vol. 7

Jean-Efflam Bavouzet, piano

via Qobuz

Our most underrated composer?

These are wonderful pieces and Bavouzet is a dedicated Haydn player.

Recorded (and well done so) on a Yamaha piano.

Thanks Bart. I love this series and didn’t realize #7 was out.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 07-16-2018, 05:45 PM

Default What Classical Music Are You Listening To Tonight?

Focus Cello
A variety of cello concertos from 4 cellists and Kremerata Baltica conducted by Heinrich Schiff. From ClassicsToday.com:
“four young cellists–outstanding students of Germany’s famed Kronberg Academy–perform “Italian or Italian-inspired cello music from three centuries” (actually four–18th-21st), featuring both solo and duo cellos with orchestra.”

The performances and sound are quite good, most of the pieces are interesting, and it mostly hangs together. There are a couple of slow movements that seem to lack energy and drag a bit, but overall this is a very nice disk.

Streaming via Qobuz

Last edited by Antonmb; 07-16-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Our most underrated composer?.
I think he gets the credit he richly deserves for string quartets and symphonies, but his piano sonatas never seem to have reached the acclaim of those of Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert.

I enjoy Jando's set on Naxos.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:52 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkbark View Post
I think he gets the credit he richly deserves for string quartets and symphonies, but his piano sonatas never seem to have reached the acclaim of those of Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert.

I enjoy Jando's set on Naxos.

I'll play some more of his keyboard works.
I already had this played on a grand piano, but I immediately prefer this version.

Haydn - Harpsichord Concertos in F and G - Divertimento in F
La Petite Bande, Sigiswald Kuijken
Ewald Demeyere, harpsichord

Sound quality is also excellent! (Listening in 5.0)

Last edited by bart; 07-18-2018 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:38 PM
Life is beautiful

Sergey Rachmaninov - Symphony no. 2 un E minor, Op. 27 - Vocalise no. 14, Op. 34
Budapest Festival Orchestra, Iván Fischer

Listening in surround.
First time I hear this disc, but I do like it.
The more romantic Rach for sure!