AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 09-30-2017, 04:25 PM

Default Frustration with Vinyl...When Is It Time to Move on?

Vinyl is just difficult to get right. I learned how to setup turntables, arms, and cartridges from Bert Whyte, may he Rest In Peace. Without the knowledge he passed on, knowledge he gained over decades, I probably would have given up!

With digital, you can buy the correct boxes (finally, after 35 years) and experience audio nirvana.

But vinyl, well, you need skills, or a friend with skills, or an audio shop with skills. An audio shop that will set up your system in your home, 'cause transportation wreaks havoc with setup.

Then there is the matter of cartridge to preamp interactions. There are a lot of variables and choosing the right combination is tricky.

So I sure feel the OP's pain, but in the end, to me, it's worth it to keep a great analog setup in fighting shape.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 09-30-2017, 04:32 PM

All hail USB
Old 09-30-2017, 05:06 PM

I have bought a lot great used vinyl from Princeton record exchange that sound better than many new albums I buy. You must clean all your records on a rcm first and then use a mofi anti static sleeve or equivalent and don't reuse the paper one that often comes with the record. If the included sleeve has information then keep it inside without the record. I agree check your tone arm set up periodically. I admit to playing more music with the D1100 and Aurender now than o did before but nothing sounds quite as smooth and musical as a good clean well recorded vinyl album. I won't get into all the reasons to like vinyl as there are many, don't give up
Old 09-30-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
Yes actually, listening to 22 mins or so without bothering to grab a remote. The way LPs were meant to be listened to in the old days. Think of listening to each side of St. Pepper in its entirety not just one track. Very relaxing [emoji41]
So you think we are required (as it was in the old days) to listen to all the crap that is offered to you because someone put it down on a album? Life is too short to waste my time listening, looking at, or eating that I do not enjoy. When I go to a I skip over paintings that do not appeal to me. If I am listening to a radio show and one segment doesn't appeal to me, I will skip to something else until it is over. Whey should I eat everything that a chef puts on my plate because he things those items go together?

Even in the old days before CD I made RTR compilations tapes so I didn't have to listen to everything on Sgt Peppers or Side 4 of the White Album which might me the biggest POS ever recorded. Oh, IMHO of course.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:03 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueoak View Post
All hail USB

And finally,

Best Sirs,

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:15 PM

Bob? Hello? Sorry, I can't hear you over all the background noise, clicks, and pops!
Old 09-30-2017, 08:28 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueoak View Post
Bob? Hello? Sorry, I can't hear you over all the background noise, clicks, and pops!

Best Sir,

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
So you think we are required (as it was in the old days) to listen to all the crap that is offered to you because someone put it down on a album? Life is too short to waste my time listening, looking at, or eating that I do not enjoy. When I go to a I skip over paintings that do not appeal to me. If I am listening to a radio show and one segment doesn't appeal to me, I will skip to something else until it is over. Whey should I eat everything that a chef puts on my plate because he things those items go together?

Even in the old days before CD I made RTR compilations tapes so I didn't have to listen to everything on Sgt Peppers or Side 4 of the White Album which might me the biggest POS ever recorded. Oh, IMHO of course.
easy Jim ...............now go pour yourself a drink , sit down and listen to a little Warren Zevon, may I suggest 'Excitable Boy' !

Oh, Serge, good reply, hit the nail on the head !
Old 09-30-2017, 09:08 PM

Default Frustration with Vinyl...When Is It Time to Move on?

I agree with nicoff.

One of the reasons I like listening to vinyl is because I know I will be listening to an entire side(s) without interruption.

I’m an album listener, always have been. If an album is full of “filler”, it wouldn’t make my collection to begin with ... again I buy albums that I enjoy the entire work. In my mind, the best artists/best albums are best enjoyed front to back.

With the advent of servers/streaming audio, I have found myself indulging in jumping around my collection but I quickly tire of ADHA-type listening.

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion

Last edited by j3brow; 09-30-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:58 PM

Since I recently purchased an Aurender N10, I have been listening to a lot of Tidal, HiRes and ripped CDs. Tonight I put some vinyl on. Even though Vinyl is a PITA, I still prefer the sound of it.

Harbeth 40.3 XD, Sound Anchor stands w/ Stillpoints, Luxman M900 & C900, Aurender N20, Jay's Audio CDT3 - MK3 CD player, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Shunyata Everest, Altaira