AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 04-06-2016, 08:32 PM

It's been a little quiet lately. Anyone hearing news regarding the release or auditions of the new 800 D3 speakers (prototype) that were floating around the United States last month.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Butler View Post
Hi Lassej,

Flipping your argument on its head, sometimes products are expensive because they reflect the inefficiencies of the company building them, rather than being an absolute statement on their performance. We see this everyday with small manufacturers offering simple 2 or 3-way designs retailing for tens of thousands of dollars, with technology accessible to everybody. How many different designs using Scan-Speak or Vifa drivers does the world really need?

The right strategy for Bowers & Wilkins is best summarized by John Bowers' business philosophy- "If you build a better product, then you will sell it." This has guided the company from the very beginning and informs everything we do today. When you combine this with an amazing R&D division and our manufacturing efficiencies, you end up exactly the kind of "better products" John Bowers spoke of, but at prices that would be impossible to replicate by smaller companies.

Best Regards,

Patrick Butler
B&W Group North America
I do agree with your over all statement. There are a lot of over priced small designs.

I wanted to point out though that ScanSpeaks line of drivers are among a top few driver manufactures producing some of the best quality drivers money can buy. They are used in many high end systems.

I'm not knocking B&W. I owned two pairs of the old 801 series II's and those old speakers with a huge quality power amp were VERY nice. I still miss them in some ways. I'd love to own the flagship speaker mentioned here but it's above my budget.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:24 AM

They do make excellent drivers, and there are many loudspeaker companies that rely on ScanSpeak's excellence.

Regards,

Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury3 View Post
I do agree with your over all statement. There are a lot of over priced small designs.

I wanted to point out though that ScanSpeaks line of drivers are among a top few driver manufactures producing some of the best quality drivers money can buy. They are used in many high end systems.

I'm not knocking B&W. I owned two pairs of the old 801 series II's and those old speakers with a huge quality power amp were VERY nice. I still miss them in some ways. I'd love to own the flagship speaker mentioned here but it's above my budget.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Butler View Post
Hi Lassej,

Flipping your argument on its head, sometimes products are expensive because they reflect the inefficiencies of the company building them, rather than being an absolute statement on their performance. We see this everyday with small manufacturers offering simple 2 or 3-way designs retailing for tens of thousands of dollars, with technology accessible to everybody. How many different designs using Scan-Speak or Vifa drivers does the world really need?

The right strategy for Bowers & Wilkins is best summarized by John Bowers' business philosophy- "If you build a better product, then you will sell it." This has guided the company from the very beginning and informs everything we do today. When you combine this with an amazing R&D division and our manufacturing efficiencies, you end up exactly the kind of "better products" John Bowers spoke of, but at prices that would be impossible to replicate by smaller companies.

Best Regards,

Patrick Butler
B&W Group North America
Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the expanation. Yes, you are right and I really hope that the new D3 are that good at it should be due to the price. I still haven't got the time to listen to the new 802D3 due to having so much at work right now but I will have a real listening of them as soon as I got some time.

BR
Lasse
Speakers: B&W 802 Diamond.Pre/amplifier: Mark Levinson No:326S/Classé CP-800mk2/ Classé CA-2300/14BSST2.TT: Michell Orbe/SME 309/Benz Micro Wood Digital: Bryston BDA-3/BDP-2 & Mac mini, SOtM-200 Ultra, Roon, Synology NAS. CD/SACD: Marantz 7007
Cables: Supra/Van den Hul/ Isotek, AQ. Others: Isotek Aquaries/Finite Elements/SMT Wings/Entreq
Old 04-09-2016, 04:40 PM

Default In Search of the Holy Grail......

For me, the solution is simple. I am, have been, and always will be completely satisfied with the sound of my old venerable N801s. I say this because I force myself to no longer visit audio salons auditioning the latest speakers to find something that sounds better. Short of a house fire or loss due to theft, etc., these babies are going to be with me forever.

Of course, then again, should I encounter a major windfall by winning the lottery, etc., sight unseen and ears unheard, I'd spring for a pair of the perfect speakers, the B&W Nautilus themselves, and the electronics to power them no questions asked.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post

Of course, then again, should I encounter a major windfall by winning the lottery, etc., sight unseen and ears unheard, I'd spring for a pair of the perfect speakers, the B&W Nautilus themselves, and the electronics to power them no questions asked.

You should always audition first. I've heard the Nautilus alongside the Signature 800's and I preferred the sig 800's.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:55 PM

Next week, Friday 6th, the 800D3 will be presented in Munich, Germany to a selected audience. I've got an invitation....