AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 02-06-2010, 11:34 AM

Default Digital recordings love tubes amplifiers...

Hi guys,

I just wanted to share with you something some of you have maybe experienced already, and I'm thinking about Greg ( Gregswaim) in particular.

Since I got my 2301's amplifiers, I now have much more pleasure to listen to my CD's. They sound both natural and dynamic. There is also much more air between the instruments. Not much to say against them.
Actually now, my Cds sound like LPs played with a very high end TT/ cart.
My Lps are not so impressive now.
When I had the 501's, I found myself not listening to Cd's anymore, I did not appreciate them as I do now, only LP's were really musical and natural.
When I had the 275, it was factually like with the 2301's : I was not listening a lot to Lps and was enjoying my cds very much.

So this would tend to say : Cds love tube amplifiers and LP's love SS amplifiers. It seems that, to my ears and Greg's ears at least, each amplifier technology has the qualities that balance the defects of each recording techniques.

Are Greg and me the only ones here who noticed that ?
Thanks in advance for sharing your impressions.

Jerome
Old 02-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Just Pure Lucky

My LP's sound much better than my CD's. This is not just me, but anyone who comes over for a listening session or get together. Primarilly, I attribute that to the Stradivari cartridge moreso than the table, per se. While I enjoyed the Talisman cartridge, I knew from hearing other higher end models, I'd rather have a very expensive cartridge on a cheap TT than vice versa.

When you move up the Clearaudio cartridge line, or any reputable manufacturers line for that matter, there is remarkable improvements along the way that I guess justifies the price.

I'm very satisfied with the cartridge and infact, when it's due for retipping (3500+ hours), I'll send it in and have no desire to "blindly try" another high end model.

So, in essence, I have a differing opinion regarding what media sounds best and what is better suited for tubes/SS.

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts. (on Order)
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.

Last edited by vintage_tube; 02-06-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:58 AM

Jerome,

I am so glad you bring this up and especially that you pay homage to our ole' friend Greg.

First, let me say, that vinyl is my only real love.

When I bought that beautiful 275 from Terry, hooked it up in my system, I experienced the exact same thing as you. What Greg had been saying finally hit home with me.

The 275 brought out the very best in the CD's and other digital recordings... but with vinyl I felt that it was too "slow" and "lifeless".

I have wondered if it had to do with the TT, as Greg and I both use the LINN LP-12.

I wonder what a SS pre add to the equation?

I will also add that I know from experience that this IS NOT the case with all tube amps. I am listening to a tube amp right now that sounds oh so correct, dynamic and beautiful with vinyl in my room.

Looking forward with others have to say.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:01 PM

I have a tube pre amp with my 501's and find that using a digital music server is my preference for long hours of listening. You just can't beat a music server. Glad your enjoying your MC2301's. What ever happended to Greg ? He has not been on in awhile?
Old 02-06-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage_tube View Post
My LP's sound much better than my CD's. This is not just me, but anyone who comes over for a listening session or get together. Primarilly, I attribute that to the Stradivari cartridge moreso than the table, per se. While I enjoyed the Talisman cartridge, I knew from hearing other higher end models, I'd rather have a very expensive cartridge on a cheap TT than vice versa.

When you move up the Clearaudio cartridge line, or any reputable manufacturers line for that matter, there is remarkable improvements along the way that I guess justifies the price.

I'm very satisfied with the cartridge and infact, when it's due for retipping (3500+ hours), I'll send it in and have no desire to "blindly try" another high end model.

So, in essence, I have a differing opinion regarding what media sounds best and what is better suited for tubes/SS.

Bob
Interesting comment Bob. Thank you !
I may be due for a cart upgrade !
How much does the Stradivari cost ?
Do you know if it can be used with a Satisfy arm ?
Jerome
Old 02-06-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two dot View Post
Jerome,

I am so glad you bring this up and especially that you pay homage to our ole' friend Greg.

First, let me say, that vinyl is my only real love.

When I bought that beautiful 275 from Terry, hooked it up in my system, I experienced the exact same thing as you. What Greg had been saying finally hit home with me.

The 275 brought out the very best in the CD's and other digital recordings... but with vinyl I felt that it was too "slow" and "lifeless".

I have wondered if it had to do with the TT, as Greg and I both use the LINN LP-12.

I wonder what a SS pre add to the equation?

I will also add that I know from experience that this IS NOT the case with all tube amps. I am listening to a tube amp right now that sounds oh so correct, dynamic and beautiful with vinyl in my room.

Looking forward with others have to say.
Stephen,

Interesting comments.
I only had Mc tube amps and one Jadis. At the time I had the Jadis I was not really into Lp playback so I don't remember how it was.
I also had a LP12 for many years.
I don't think it has to do with the LP12. I experienced this with the LP12 and with my actual Clearaudio TT set-up.
It could be due to the circuit design of Mc Tube amps.
About a SS preamp, I can only tell you that to my ears, the C1000P is more "tubey" than the C1000T : warmer and more presence and weight.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
I have a tube pre amp with my 501's and find that using a digital music server is my preference for long hours of listening. You just can't beat a music server. Glad your enjoying your MC2301's. What ever happended to Greg ? He has not been on in awhile?
David, I wonder also what happened to Greg...
Old 02-06-2010, 02:10 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Interesting comment Bob. Thank you !
How much does the Stradivari cost ?
Do you know if it can be used with a Satisfy arm ?
Jerome
ALOT & without running the numbers, I'd say off the cuff it would work on the Satisfy since it's also made by CA. Run the numbers to be sure.

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts. (on Order)
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two dot View Post

Stephen : "slow and lifeless" are exactly how I would describe the sound of my Clearaudio TT with the 2301's compared to the 501's. Good job !!
Still the sound is very pleasing but does not impress like what happens with CD's.
Funny how we hear the same things here !
That's a kind of disappointing finding here. But still I have more CDs than LPs so there will be a net benefit.

A funny thing is :
My best friend has a top of the line Linn active system. So it is 100% SS.
He has a Linn LP12 SE with the Urika and Radikal.
He does not listen anymore to CD's ! And he has about 1200 CDs ! and he only has about 200 Lps...

As Bob said, I could be due to a cart upgrade but what if I'm not satisfied by the results and I have spent 4000 to 5000 $ ?

Jérôme
Old 02-06-2010, 05:10 PM

Jerome,
It is I that am glad to hear that you are hearing the same thing as Greg and I.

I thought that Mc tubes and lp's would be sonic bliss. I was VERY surprised.

My gf who has a very good ear could not believe the difference.

I would like to try a SS pre with Mc tubes on the power and see what that would do.

If I only wanted digital... the 275/MCD500 combo would be the end of the line for me!

As it is, I am finally going all vinyl in my system. It is what pleases me.