AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magnepan

Magnepan Full-range ribbon and planar speakers

Old 01-28-2014, 10:36 AM

I spoke with Wendell about this yesterday and he confirmed the cost of the 3.7i changes would be $500 (not including shipping of course) but he would not describe any details about what changes would be made - proprietary information. He also hinted the change in sound would be subtle but most definitely stopped short of providing any description.

The i change is not offered/needed/necessary for the 20.7's.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell View Post
I spoke with Wendell about this yesterday and he confirmed the cost of the 3.7i changes would be $500 (not including shipping of course) but he would not describe any details about what changes would be made - proprietary information. He also hinted the change in sound would be subtle but most definitely stopped short of providing any description.

The i change is not offered/needed/necessary for the 20.7's.
Thanks for the update and good to hear the 20.7s need no upgrade since I don't want to deal with shipping those behemoths or be without my gear.

Wendell sounds too cagey when it comes to the 3.7i upgrade. It would be good to know what you are getting for the $500 before going through all the trouble. I guess in our hobby $500 is like pocket change and you should just trust that the results will be positive, but c'mon.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:12 PM

But that's just it, it's not just $500. The only safe way to ship Maggie's is to palletize them. That's going to cost you at least $300 each way. So you talking an $1100 upgrade for something no one knows what is
Old 01-28-2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
According to my dealer, the bass is significantly improved. No further need for the DWM bass panels. Also a more seamless transition from midrange to tweeter, possibly due to changes in the crossover frequencies.
Wendell made no mention or claims of such improvements whatsoever. He hinted that any detectable change would be subtle at best.

Perhaps the dealer was describing the 20.7's.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell View Post
Wendell made no mention or claims of such improvements whatsoever. He hinted that any detectable change would be subtle at best.

Perhaps the dealer was describing the 20.7's.
Hi Russell,

Nope. He already has the 3.7i at his store and does not have the 20.7. I was in a hurry and did not have the opportunity to listen myself. But my dealer, whose opinion I really trust, and the gentleman who had just completed an audition said the improvement over the 3.7 was significant. Bass response was significantly improved and the transition from the midrange to the tweeter was much more seamless.

I'll listen for myself the next time I visit the dealer and report back on my findiings.

Best,
Ken
Old 01-29-2014, 09:48 AM

I must be getting crazy (ok. more crazy) in my old age.... a set of 3.7i's are alive and well and at a dealer location now...yet Magnepan seem to be keeping it a secret as to what the change is. Why would this be? Maybe someone in the know at Magnepan spoke of it in a phone call somewhere and the NSA has the info?

Or am I mistaken and is the 3.7i upgrade somehow related to national security and thus the details must be kept secretive?

Last edited by Rayooo; 01-29-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayooo View Post
I must be getting crazy (ok. more crazy) in my old age.... a set of 3.7i's are alive and well and at a dealer location now...yet Magnepan seem to be keeping it a secret as to what the change is. Why would this be? Maybe someone in the know at Magnepan spoke of it in a phone call somewhere and the NSA has the info?

Or am I mistaken and is the 3.7i upgrade somehow related to national security and thus the details must be kept secretive?
Old 01-29-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
Hi Russell,

Nope. He already has the 3.7i at his store and does not have the 20.7. I was in a hurry and did not have the opportunity to listen myself. But my dealer, whose opinion I really trust, and the gentleman who had just completed an audition said the improvement over the 3.7 was significant. Bass response was significantly improved and the transition from the midrange to the tweeter was much more seamless.

I'll listen for myself the next time I visit the dealer and report back on my findiings.

Best,
Ken
Looking forward to your thoughts. Are both the 3.7 and the 3.7i available for comparison in the same showroom?
"Will you be able to hear the difference between the 3.7 and 3.7i? Yes, in a careful A-B test"

Last edited by Sceptic; 01-29-2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:08 PM

I think its funny that when the 3.6's came out no one thought they heard a division between the tweeter, mid, bass until late in production. Then the 3.7 came out and everyone raved how it corrected this problem. Now the i being pushed as correcting the problem again. I wonder how many times they will fix a problem that I don't hear lol
Old 01-29-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceptic View Post

Looking forward to your thoughts. Are both the 3.7 and the 3.7i available for comparison in the same showroom?
"Will you be able to hear the difference between the 3.7 and 3.7i? Yes, in a careful A-B test"
Hi Sceptic,

Good question. He may have upgraded his demo 3.7 to the 3.7i. I will find out. I did own the 3.7 for a year and did extensive auditions of the 3.7 in his showroom and on his components, so I should be able to hear the difference, although an A-B comparison would be the optimal scenario.

Best,
Ken