AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 03-27-2012, 11:36 PM

Darrin, if you don't mind, would you contrast the sound qualities of your VAC 300.1a to the CJ Premier 350? Thanks.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:45 PM
dpod4

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowGEEZR
Darrin, if you don't mind, would you contrast the sound qualities of your VAC 300.1a to the CJ Premier 350? Thanks.
VAC 300.1a is clean and pure with absolute harmonic integrity (a guitar sounds like a guitar, a piano like a piano); and soundstage is wide with great floating of images. The CJ 350 is less "airy" with a little more hi-fi to the sound, but there is better dynamics including micro and macro dynamics. The soundstage is not as wide but has more depth/layering front to back. The 350 has more growl and grunt on the low end but doesn't have as much transparency and accuracy and sparkle on top end as VAC. My Maggies require current and watts so the 150 wpc of the VAC come up short compared to stable 600 wpc into 4 ohms the CJ delivers. There is something about the VAC preamp and amp that suspends disbelief unlike any amp or preamp I have heard. There is something comfortable powerful and nonfatiguing about the CJ 350 I haven't experienced with an amp before.

Last edited by dpod4; 03-28-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:50 PM

Very nice synopsis Darrin

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2012, 12:01 AM
dpod4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid
Very nice synopsis Darrin

Thanks!
Thanks Joe. I believe 2 VAC amps would beat the the CJ 350 but that is 40k worth of VAC amps!
Old 03-28-2012, 12:44 AM
dpod4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpod4

Thanks Joe. I believe 2 VAC amps would beat the the CJ 350 but that is 40k worth of VAC amps!
And I cant rave enough about the VAC preamps. Magic.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpod4 View Post
And I cant rave enough about the VAC preamps. Magic.
When I was younger, I had a favorite dealer (gone now, unfortunately) that would let me "play" with all their gear. They had many great lines and one was VAC. I remember it well. This was a long time ago but it still left an impression on me. So I agree there is magic in those little bottles
Old 03-28-2012, 09:10 PM

Thanks Darrin! I'm trying to decide what preamp/power amp combo to power my WP8's. I can't get all the various amps/preamps combos in my listening room, due to a lack of dealers in my area. I keep changing my mind on what preamp/amp combo to purchase! I want the pre and pwr amp to be from the same manufacturer. I waffle between Audio Research, conrad-johnson, VAC, and Lamm so much it sometimes feels like my head is going to spin. I want to keep the price below $20K, so used/demo is ok for me. Here are (some of) the combos I've been thinking about:

Audio Research – Ref 5/Ref 150. I wonder if 150 wpc is enough, but I've read that the new Ref 150 really takes hold of the speaker. I would only have to buy the Ref 5 used, the Ref 150 new. I can get from my dealer for an in-home loan, but only if I'm "serious".

The other choices would require each piece be used, in order to stay under $20K. Also, no way to get an in-home review.

Conrad-johnson – ET5/LP275M (or 140 or 125) Great looks and great sound. Downs: Older amp.

VAC – Renaissance Mk.3/Phi.3001a Hard to find a Renaissance Mk.3 used.

Lamm – Various combos appeal to me, but would have to buy older to keep under $20K.

It's too bad that EAR doesn't make a more powerful amp because I really like their preamp.
Luckily, I'm not in a great hurry and hopefully, I'll get a chance to listen to each.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:13 PM
dpod4

Hello. Just sent you an email. My experience with ARC is it is lean and treble centered, so with detailed Wilsons, for my ears, that would be too much. From what I've heard about the LAMMs those would be a good counter-balance to Wilsons. Warmth plus detail. Too much CJ may be too laid back; I'm not sure of your listening preferences. I can say without reservation, the VAC Renaissance Mk III preamp is utterly amazing. Without equal. Magic. Holographic. I have heard Shindo, ARC, MBL, ad nasium, and the VAC is, by a wide margin, the best I have heard...regardless of amp being driven, brand...SS...tube.
Darrin

Last edited by dpod4; 03-28-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:30 PM

Thanks Darrin. PM sent.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:53 PM

Hi all, does anyone have the 350 manual/instructions ? Is there a copy online at all ?

regards

Rich