AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 02-23-2012, 12:13 AM

Oh, does anyone know what the step-up ratio is on the Shindo's SUT?
Old 02-23-2012, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelius View Post
My non-SPU carts are Koetsu Onyx Platinum and Lyra Helikon Mono. I've tried both with the internal MC stage of my Masseto and now VR but prefer separate SUT's. My favorite with the Koetsu are Bob's devices 1131 Cinemag (Blue label) and Choir Audio SUT-H7 (Top of line Hashimoto SUT). I use a heavily modified EAR 384 for my mono lyra. The Shindo stage will work but I have not found it optimal with either of these cartridges.
I was looking at Bob's 1131 Blue with interest.

I had a mate's hot-rodded EAR 834P for quite a while, but ended up preferring my Vacuum State over it. The EAR was more 3D, but VS has more detail and extension, with excellent tonality.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelius View Post
My non-SPU carts are Koetsu Onyx Platinum and Lyra Helikon Mono. I've tried both with the internal MC stage of my Masseto and now VR but prefer separate SUT's. My favorite with the Koetsu are Bob's devices 1131 Cinemag (Blue label) and Choir Audio SUT-H7 (Top of line Hashimoto SUT). I use a heavily modified EAR 384 for my mono lyra. The Shindo stage will work but I have not found it optimal with either of these cartridges.
Wow - just looked at the Choir SUT-H7, and it looks superb. How would you compare/contrast that unit to the 1131 Blue?
Old 02-23-2012, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortnipper View Post
Wow - just looked at the Choir SUT-H7, and it looks superb. How would you compare/contrast that unit to the 1131 Blue?
I really like both but would give the Choir/Hashimoto the nod with the Koetsu. The famous Koetsu midrange tone is fleshed out a bit more with the Hashimoto while the 1131 might have a tad bit more extention. I also prefer the build quality of the Choir.

Once my refurbed Garrard 301 is complete, the Choir is going to be used exclusively with my Koetsu on my Nottingham table and I am planning to pair the 1131 with my Ortofon SPU/Garrard.
Speakers: Tonian classic 12 (PHY driver) and Hawthorn Audio Trios (Open Baffle). Analog Source: Nottingham Ana-log, Garrard 301. Tonearms: SME 312S, SME M2-12R, Nottingham Unipivot. Cartridge: Koetsu Onyx, Lyra Helikon Mono, Ortofon SPU Classic. Digital Source: Eastern Electric Dac +. Electronics: Shindo Vosne Romane Preamp, 45,2A3,300B,F2a,GM70 SET amps, Atma-sphere S30 OTL, Dynaco ST-70, Shindo Haut-Brion
Old 02-23-2012, 03:46 PM

I bet the Koetsu would sound mighty fine on the 301 as well.

I have a 401/Schick combo and I will get my mates Vermilion (he hates me now because I 'forced' him to buy an Auriges a couple years ago and now he has a Monbrison :-) to try out next week along with a very nicely done DaVinci Grandezza inspired knock-off another guy I know makes.

And yesterday I just repaired a Luxman AD8000/8030 that I will give a go.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
Hi all,

I have a masseto and montrachet driving a pair of devore silverbacks. Music from my audio grail refurbished Garrard301 in a custom made 5 layer solid cherry wood plinth with sme3012/denon103/bob's devices step up sounds wonderful but always feel that music from my oppo bdp95 do not quite match up. I have been considering an upgrade to the lafon gm70 but do not quite like the new looks of the amp,another part of me would like to try the shindo western electric 300B amps but my silverbacks may not be efficient enough?
How long do tubes like the Gm70 or even the precious 300Bs last? Would appreciate any inputs, thanks.

Tristan

No doubt you've thought of Sinhonias...I'm quite happy with mine paired with the S'backs. I haven't heard the Montrachet yet, so unfortunately I can't offer much of a comparison. I have heard S'Backs with the Cortese (10W) and although it sounded great with smaller scale music, but I was concerned it would be somewhat limited the choice of music genres (it didn't quite have enough power for rock & orchestral) -which kind of defeats one of the nice parts of owning a full range speaker like the S'backs.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:18 PM

I´m also thinking of upgrading my Shindo Montille El84 amp to something with a little more power so I can drive my Devore 9´s. I have a Leben RS28cx Pre-amp and I´m trying to get hold of a Monbrison (the old model which has the output transformers), but its not easy in europe. I´ll guess I have to buy a 110 volt and use a transformer..

it seems like the Devore 9´s likes a little more than the montille´s 15 watt. I really like the 9´s and want to keep them so I propably need to upgrade my amp, but which one... I mainly listen to alot of 60´s and 70´s rock and also some jazz and alot more.. .

yes this is my first post and i hope that I don´t hijack your thread..

cheers
Daniel
Old 05-31-2012, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silwerfeldt View Post
I have a Leben RS28cx Pre-amp and I´m trying to get hold of a Monbrison (the old model which has the output transformers), but its not easy in europe. I´ll guess I have to buy a 110 volt and use a transformer..

cheers
Daniel
Hi and welcome to AA, Daniel.

The Monbrison you are mentioning above is the one I have at home (first old serie, with two 12AU7 on the line stage and two 12AX7 on the phono stage, and the output transformer). It's a very nice piece of audio equipment indeed.
I had to wait a couple of years to find one in France which was just "as new" (actually it was really NEW, from a hifi collector guy). Be patient et and the reward later will be even larger.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silwerfeldt
I´m also thinking of upgrading my Shindo Montille El84 amp to something with a little more power so I can drive my Devore 9´s. I have a Leben RS28cx Pre-amp and I´m trying to get hold of a Monbrison (the old model which has the output transformers), but its not easy in europe. I´ll guess I have to buy a 110 volt and use a transformer..

it seems like the Devore 9´s likes a little more than the montille´s 15 watt. I really like the 9´s and want to keep them so I propably need to upgrade my amp, but which one... I mainly listen to alot of 60´s and 70´s rock and also some jazz and alot more.. .

yes this is my first post and i hope that I don´t hijack your thread..

cheers
Daniel
I recently upgraded from the Montille to a lower wattage amp (Cortese 8w) and feel the performance is excellent. I don't think I'm maxing out the Cortese at all and while the Montille is a very nice amp the Cortese just wipes the floor with it on the Nines. I guess my point is the wattage isn't really the issue it's just not the best match for the Nines.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:03 PM
alive and kickin'

Hi everybody, my humble experience with Shindo amps and preamps taught me that the expression "upgrade" is often inappropriate as it is not a matter of "more" (power, bass, body...) or "bigger" (soundstage, amplitude...).
I would rather talk about "kind of" : character, personality, flavour, tonality...

And it is a question of combination of the different elements of the (hifi) chain; I once wrote in a french forum that a Shindo (pre-)amplifier is not a magic potion that will make every system invincible.
But once you have got the right chain, you have access to musical happiness.