AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magnepan

Magnepan Full-range ribbon and planar speakers

Old 03-06-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
I'm going to hear them at definitive audio music matters in Seattle tomorrow. Anything you want me to ask or check out?

Yes! Thank you!

Please ask them to share a schedule with dates and locations where they will be demoing these speakers. If no such schedule is available, perhaps they can tell tell you if they plan to demo in the DC area and when. Also, assuming that they are actually shipping these units, what is the wait time from ordering to shipping. I know that at one point there was several months wait for the 20.7s.

I read somewhere (the asylum) that they did not have seats for listening at previous demos. Also, they were playing (streaming) music that was not well known to listeners.

So... if you care about a sweet spot, bring your portable chair and your favorite CD (although they may not even have CD players any more at these events) and don’t forget to share with us about what you heard!

Thanks!!!
Old 03-06-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
Yes! Thank you!

Please ask them to share a schedule with dates and locations where they will be demoing these speakers. If no such schedule is available, perhaps they can tell tell you if they plan to demo in the DC area and when. Also, assuming that they are actually shipping these units, what is the wait time from ordering to shipping. I know that at one point there was several months wait for the 20.7s.

I read somewhere (the asylum) that they did not have seats for listening at previous demos. Also, they were playing (streaming) music that was not well known to listeners.

So... if you care about a sweet spot, bring your portable chair and your favorite CD (although they may not even have CD players any more at these events) and don’t forget to share with us about what you heard!

Thanks!!!
Ok, I'll see what I can find out for you!
Old 03-07-2018, 11:21 PM

Thank you!!!
Old 03-08-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
Thank you!!!
Ok, well I didn't find out much. I spoke with Wendell Diller, and he knew exactly what I was going to say...he claims he is swamped with questions about where to see it. I asked why he doesn't just post a calendar of events and he says that the dates get changed around too much and it's hard to keep up. He recommends you call your closest dealer and just get on a list to keep up with the demos. Not much help, sorry. He seemed as frustrated as you are, for some reason.

Anyway, I heard them, so did Tony (Antonmb). I was not very impressed. One of the other vendors (it was a dcs/d'agostino/clearaudio/magnepan setup) told me that Magnepan was messing around with the speaker placement up to the last second and he thought it could be better. That said, they did what maggies do well: vocals, strings, horns. Bass was weak and almost embarrassing in my opinion. Definitive's rooms are tough for bass, they are super dampened and have concrete floors. Even the big wilsons don't have the best bass in those rooms. Anyway, the sense of scale was there, they sound big, they are big . And...they are gorgeous, no question. I like the color and the finish quality.

Here are some pics.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:33 PM

I’ll add my thoughts on hearing the Maggies last night:
- Bass was bloated and not very articulate.
- Mid-range and treble were very clean with plenty of detail.
- Transients and dynamics were excellent, very fast.
- Soundstage was very big, but imaging was not good at all. Center vocals were too big and amorphous, and images were spread too wide. As an example, on a jazz cut, the drum kit was so wide it spread across the whole front of the room.

I think the supporting equipment was excellent and not the issue. I suspect the imaging may be partly that I wasn’t able to get into a real sweet spot, and that panels tend to have less image specificity than point-source speakers (you guys with more panel experience will know better). I also think the room may have just been too small for these speakers, which may have contributed to the bass issues. Given the circumstances it may not be an entirely fair assessment, and since Marc points out that they were adjusting the setup until the last minute, they probably knew these speakers weren’t being shown to their best advantage.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2

Last edited by Antonmb; 03-08-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:41 PM

Thank you for sharing. Sounds like a big disappointment. Surprised that Magnepan would not even be willing to list the places where they plan to demo even if no definitive dates are shown. A simple TBA (to be announced) would suffice. Quite frankly, I am not impressed.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:51 PM

I agree with everything Tony said. He was much more articulate about what we heard.

However, if you are a Maggie fan, don't let this discourage you, talk to your dealer and try to get a better answer on where and when you can hear them for yourself. I am sure they can sound better than what we heard. I imagine these are fairly dependent on the room and set up. I guess the most troubling thing is that the company representative seems to be dismissive of your requests for more transparency on the calendar.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:44 PM

Default Magnepan 30.7 Loudspeaker

Thank you!
Spoke with my dealer. He says he expects to be able to demo sometime in May or June. Subject to change of course. He said he he does not believe that the speakers are shipping yet. He might be wrong but I would think a dealer would know. [emoji848]

Last edited by nicoff; 03-08-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:29 AM

Smile Heard the 30.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by timm View Post
Ooh. Carlos...looking forward to your 'real' review.
@ the annual Definitive Audio "Music Matters" night in Seattle. Powered. by d'Agostino Progression series amp and Tranparent cables. Source was Clearaudio and optical m/c and Rossini phoho. Amp rep was there and talked about new Relentless series d'Agostino amps to be introduced. Meter is 6in. diameter. 24x31x10 600 lbs. 1500 (8), 6000 (2) ohms. Mags are the product of the year. Sound was clean and delineated. Solid mids, NO need for a subwoofer. So clean it was almost ethereal. Room was crowded but soundstage was tight and impressive. These are great speakers. I did like them more than the Alexa. Won't fit in my house.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:52 AM

Default Magnepan 30.7 Loudspeaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trace View Post
Room was crowded but soundstage was tight and impressive. These are great speakers. I did like them more than the Alexa. Won't fit in my house.

Interesting - when Marc and I heard them Wednesday night they didn't sound quite like that, and didn't impress. I wonder if they did some tweaking or changed the setup today.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2

Last edited by Antonmb; 03-09-2018 at 12:55 AM.