AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Krell

Krell Leader in Audio Engineering

Old 06-23-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Nope, the Krell is very pure with virtually undetectable sonic signature of its own. So... If you love the rest of your gear, S1200 will not try to change that.

In my own system the difference between the sources and especially the EAR tubed CDP is so noticeable and distinct that I smile every time I listen knowing how "uncolored" and "faithful" the playback chain is, Krell S1200 being squarely in the middle of that chain.
I didn't realize the S1200 was that good. I have been thinking of getting. What other processors/preamps did you consider?
Does the S1200 take a couple seconds to lock in the signal when you pay a disc? This was an issue with some of the older Krell processors.

I will be paring the S1200 with a Krell Evolution 403E for HT and some 2 channel music.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:43 AM

Default Macintosh to Krell ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPal View Post
Allen...I too would suggest looking at upping your speakers. Sonus Faber or Wilson are great suggestions. You have some fine gear. What sources do you have? Your MX150 reprocesses your analog signals, so your system will only ever sound as good as your HT processor. If you are into 2-ch, you may wish to consider a dedicated 2-ch pre & use passthru for HT. This will also improve the dynamics of HT.
I have owned a system with Krell amps driving B&W 800D's. I found the Krell electronics excelled with rock&roll music but were too "hot" to fully put classical or jazz music in it's best light. A change in speakers will feed your updating "jones" much more effectively! In addition to the speakers recommended by others, try to audition ADAM Classic or Tensor lines or the superb Focal Utopia line. I would bet you would find these speakers an improvement over your B&W's. In any case, HAVE FUN !!
Old 02-01-2013, 01:29 PM

You could toy with the Krell Processor. You will get more attack with the bass, and detailed highs. I would keep the mc amps. And I love the mx150. It sounds more refined. A mix may change things up. If you're looking at processors that range, I highly recommend the Theta Casablanca, for its sonic qualities similar to the Krell, but quieter and better refined... And it doesn't heat up, like the Mc. Probably even cooler than the MX150, or go one more "up" (cost and upgradability) and look at Datasat with capabilities of Dolby Atmos.

I also agree you already have a very good system, and speaker upgrades would be the direction I'd be heading given your situation.

Aside from SF and Wilson, I'd look at Focal Utopias. Mc601s will complement the Maestro Utopias very well, and add a Viva Utopia. The Mc601s really handles the Maestro very well.

That will give you superb highs and awesome
Bass, without neglecting the mids.

Or Legacy Audio from Springfield, super value for money speakers, check out the Aeris, and add a Marquis HD center. Those are all rounded speakers with fantastic detail and dynamism, and superb workmanship on wood. They've got everything right in sound, and service is top notch.

I wouldn't recommend a full Krell electronic system for the level of SQ you are used to. No offense intended. They have a certain signature of sound that works for some, and cant help but think that have lost quite a bit of their footing.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 02-01-2013, 04:06 PM

Enit, not to speak for Bryan (the OP), but he has long since moved on to Wilson Sashas and a Mac C2300 preamp for 2 channel, which he is apparently loving. (He did ultimately keep the mx150, I believe).
Speakers: Canton Ref K3
Old 02-01-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkad View Post
Enit, not to speak for Bryan (the OP), but he has long since moved on to Wilson Sashas and a Mac C2300 preamp for 2 channel, which he is apparently loving. (He did ultimately keep the mx150, I believe).
Oh dear, I didn't notice the date it was last posted! Hahaha

Thanks for the nudge!!

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 02-17-2013, 05:44 PM

No worries. I go back to my old posts occasionally and saw your response. I think you (and everyone else) were right on the money on where I needed to make changes to my system. The Sasha's and the C2300 sound great with my MC601's. I'm now considering things like cables and sources so it never ends! I appreciate everyone's input. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2013, 02:54 PM

I am just about to upgrade the EVO 600's & 403 to the e-type.

Cheers!

Last edited by admin; 03-18-2013 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Removed link to forum. You can not post links to sites that aren't sponsors.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackX View Post
I am just about to upgrade the EVO 600's & 403 to the e-type.

Cheers!
Welcome Jackx,

You have some good stuff. What is the rest of your system? I also have the 403E and I am pretty happy with it.

Rich
Old 03-19-2013, 07:22 AM

Never cared much for Krell gear. With the music I am listening to (Jazz/Classical) they were always to aggressive and could not reproduce the sensation of a live event.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronenash View Post
Never cared much for Krell gear. With the music I am listening to (Jazz/Classical) they were always to aggressive and could not reproduce the sensation of a live event.
I've seen a few folks comment and mention something similar. That's what made me hesitate in getting any Krell gear. However, I finally tried something - an S-1500 multi-channel amplifier - and I really like it. I would not describe it as aggressive. Is it possible that older Krell gear was that way, and the newer (last 5 years or so) stuff is not that way? I like my S-1500 so much, that I'm looking at getting a Krell processor.

Dave