AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 09-20-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
What's the problem with pulling your component out of the system? Other than weight , isn't that big a deal. Especially an integrated amp. Even a 75# one.

Here's the back of the MA8900. Pull out your Phillips-head screw driver, take out two screws and pull the module and plug in the new one. Just make sure you turn everything off first. No tech needed. Couldn't be much easier (since McIntosh can't put it on the front with that glass faceplate).

If it's that easy, thank you for the clarification. No problem.
Old 04-20-2020, 09:58 AM

Greetings AA forumites! Brand new community member here, and also first time owner of a McIntosh unit, specifically the MA8900.

I have wanted a McIntosh since I was 10 years old after seeing/hearing one my friend's dad owned. Now that dream is a reality.

I'm upgrading from a Rogue Sphinx V2 which was a very nice amp, especially for the money, but the McIntosh is next-level by comparison. This unit will be the centerpiece of my system for many years to come. By way of background, here's what the whole thing looks like besides the 8900:
  • Rega Planar 3 (2017)
  • Hana EH cartridge
  • NAD C 538 CD player
  • KEF LS50 speakers
  • MacBook Air for streaming

I am a huge Sonos fan, but their new replacement for the Connect seems stupidly overpriced for what it is, so I'm content to make do with streaming Spotify et al via the spare laptop. Sounds very good, and that's $500 that can be spent elsewhere.

The next obvious upgrade is the speakers; the LS50's are very nice, but now that I am freed from the constraints of the dreaded spousal approval factor, I'm looking to upgrade to floor standers. This upgrade won't happen for a while since I'll need to save up, but my initial thoughts are:

Dynaudio Contour 60's
Martin Logan Impression ESL 11A's

This is a princely sum for loudspeakers for me ($10k), but sometimes life causes you to adjust your priorities, and in this case, I've decided mine is building the best system I can possibly (not) afford.

When I have enough posts under my belt I'll begin a dedicated thread about best speaker pairings for the MA8900, but for now any initial thoughts are welcome.

Being new I'll look to contribute around here as best as I'm able, but I am the furthest thing from the holder of a degree in audio engineering. I just know how important music is in my life, and I want the best reproduction I can afford, even if it's at the expense of other things people traditionally spend their disposable income on (e.g. cars, vacations, etc.)

Looking forward to getting to know folks on this board; I'm a veteran of online communities, so I know the drill.
Old 04-20-2020, 01:52 PM

Note: I chose those two speakers based on recommendations of my dealer (Dynaudio) and a brand that came up multiple times as a good match for the MA8900 based on my internet research as well as my maximum budget of $10k which is the absolute limit of what I think I can responsibly spend based on sacrifices I'm willing to make.

Once I upgrade the speakers, I think this is a system (as currently constituted) I could happily live with for several decades with little being added to it apart from the occasional cable and phono cartridge upgrade.

This hobby is a slippery slope when it comes to upgrades and their attendant costs, so I'd rather shoot for my moon now in order to enjoy the best I can afford for as many years as possible.

FWIW, this system will be used to play Alternative, Classic Rock, Jazz, Electronic, and Classical in that order of priority if that matters.
Old 04-20-2020, 02:22 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Reynolds617... Welcome to AA!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 04-20-2020, 03:15 PM

Thank you, Masterlu! Looks like you're relatively close to me part of the year. I'm outside of Boston. I'd DM you this, but can't do that yet.
Old 04-20-2020, 08:58 PM
Retired

Congrats on your MA8900, a great piece.
When its time to purchase speakers a visit to Ivan's (Masterlu) might be in order since he is not that far from you. He carries several lines of speakers and each of his systems is a showcase for them.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 04-20-2020, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynolds617 View Post
Note: I chose those two speakers based on recommendations of my dealer (Dynaudio) and a brand that came up multiple times as a good match for the MA8900 based on my internet research as well as my maximum budget of $10k which is the absolute limit of what I think I can responsibly spend based on sacrifices I'm willing to make.
Several speakers priced less that $10k that would be a better match for the excellent MA8900.
Old 04-21-2020, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynolds617 View Post
Greetings AA forumites! Brand new community member here, and also first time owner of a McIntosh unit, specifically the MA8900.

I have wanted a McIntosh since I was 10 years old after seeing/hearing one my friend's dad owned. Now that dream is a reality.

<snip>

The next obvious upgrade is the speakers; the LS50's are very nice, but now that I am freed from the constraints of the dreaded spousal approval factor, I'm looking to upgrade to floor standers. This upgrade won't happen for a while since I'll need to save up, but my initial thoughts are:

Dynaudio Contour 60's
Martin Logan Impression ESL 11A's

This is a princely sum for loudspeakers for me ($10k), but sometimes life causes you to adjust your priorities, and in this case, I've decided mine is building the best system I can possibly (not) afford.

When I have enough posts under my belt I'll begin a dedicated thread about best speaker pairings for the MA8900, but for now any initial thoughts are welcome.

<snip>

Looking forward to getting to know folks on this board; I'm a veteran of online communities, so I know the drill.
Welcome! If I may, for your consideration you might try to find a second hand pair of Wilson Sabrinas, which could possibly be had for ~ your budget and will work nicely with your MA8900. Wilson speakers often mate very well with Mac power amps.

Happy hunting!

Bob
Sources: Koetsu Onyx Gold/Clearaudio Innovation Wood w/Universal Arm 9”; MCT500 CD/SACD transport; OPPO 205; NAD C446 Internet Tuner; Nakamichi 670ZX cassette deck. Electronics: MacIntosh C2700 preamp w/DA2 and MC462 power amp. Speakers: Wilson Yvettes Headphones: MacIntosh MHP 1000 Interconnects: Transparent G5 balanced and speaker cables; MCT - MCT500 -> C2700.Power cords: Transparent (on preamp, power amp and transport). Surge protected. Record cleaner: Kirmuss KA-RC-1 ultrasonic.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBill View Post
Several speakers priced less that $10k that would be a better match for the excellent MA8900.
Thanks, BuffaloBill. Any models in particular you'd recommend? If I can spend less than $10k for better sound I'd certainly be happy to do that.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Congrats on your MA8900, a great piece.
When its time to purchase speakers a visit to Ivan's (Masterlu) might be in order since he is not that far from you. He carries several lines of speakers and each of his systems is a showcase for them.
Thanks. Didn't know he was a dealer. I'm not that far from the Cape and my family has a cottage down there.