AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 09-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlick View Post
Hello all,

I'm new here. I currently have the Oppo BDP-83. I was thinking of moving up to the Nuforce BDP-93NXE. Anyone have any experience with this one?
Ed.......Welcome to Audio Aficionado.

I believe the best bang for the buck is the Oppo BDP-95 with no mods.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 09-05-2012, 05:51 PM
♫ Now playing... ♫

Ed - Welcome to AA!

I agree with Dan. The Oppo BDP-95 outputs some fantastic audio and video for the price.

Terry
McIntosh MX150, C2300, MC601 (5), MC207, MCD12000, MR88, MPC1500, LB100, MCLK12. Anthem AVM 90. Lumin U1. Bluesound Node. Oppo 205. Bowers & Wilkins 800 D3, CWM8.3D, CCM7.5 S2. SVS SB16-Ultra (4). Shunyata. Wireworld. Transparent. GIK.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volks View Post
Atlanticananda....welcome!..................what Province are you from in Atlantic Canada?
Hi Michael

I'm in New Brunswick and after living on the west coast, the midwest, the mid-Atlantic, and in Scotland, it is an adjustment to the lack of audiophile equipment around these parts.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:31 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Funny you should mention that . . .

This afternoon, I spent a couple of hours comparing my OPPO BDP-95 with three other fairly good players.

1. An Esoteric X-03
2. McIntosh MVP871
3. Lexicon RT-20

Note that two of the machines are "universal players", as is the Oppo - Biggest difference is that both machines retailed, when new, for over 5 times the current price of the BDP-95.

The third (The Estoteric) is a CD/SACD player that was near world class when I bought it several years ago, and its new price was over seven times the Oppo.

My "tests" were totally unscientific, and consisted of just my very own ears placed at my normal listening position and listening. I was able to switch back and forth between two machines at a time, but had to switch wiring to compare the third.

I listened to my Sonus Faber Guarneri speakers for the "test"

My verdict - Not night and day - but the Oppo was superior to all three of the others in several areas.

1. Transparency - the Oppo put out a huge soundstage that you could see completely through. Images floated in space in an arc from outside the speakers and with excellent height and depth. A word I often use is "refined" and I believe that the Oppo put out a little more refined sound than the others.

2. Accuracy - I felt that compared to the Oppo, the other machines tended to "miss' the tonality of certain instruments (oboe being one) while the Oppo was spot-on.

3. Dynamics - all were good, but the Oppo seemed to put a little extra oomph into the music.

Initially, I couldn't believe that other manufacturers were using OPPO machines as the basis for their much more expensive blu-ray/Universal players (like Ayre and Lexicon did), but realize now that they would have had a very difficult time developing anything any better on their own.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .

Last edited by AudioNut; 09-05-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Ed.......Welcome to Audio Aficionado.

I believe the best bang for the buck is the Oppo BDP-95 with no mods.
Listen and heed Dan's advise. I did ... bought one standard Oppo 95 and never looked back and way much happier than before!

Love it! Cheap & Good - No, Make that Great Player!

And WELCOME!
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 09-05-2012, 07:12 PM

Thank you guys. I appreciate your knowledge.

Ed
Old 09-05-2012, 08:07 PM

I think the OPPO BPD-95 is amazing considering the price. I sold my McIntosh MVP871 after comparing both. At first, the OPPO seemed more edgy. But after a few hundred hours, the edginess was gone. Resolution, dynamic, and bass are all better. I'm running mine with balanced connection.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:43 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Ed/schlick, welcome aboard!
Old 09-08-2012, 11:13 PM

Hi I'm new to the forum, I just want to share the I also have the Oppo bdp95 and very happy with it. I use it for all my blu-ray, SACD, and serious stereo listening. This is how it's hooked up:

blu-ray= HDMI
SACD (5.1)= Multichannel Analog
Stereo= Analog Stereo Out

Right now my bdp95 is hooked up to my Integra 40.2 pre-pro but, just recently, I bought the McIntosh C2300 (still in box) that I plan to connect it to my Integra via using the passthru and connecting the Oppo stereo out direct to the C2300. I can't wait to hear how this is going to sound like, hopefully overwhelming specially after the C2300 is done with the break-in period.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:51 PM
♫ Now playing... ♫

miketuason - Welcome to AA!

Terry
McIntosh MX150, C2300, MC601 (5), MC207, MCD12000, MR88, MPC1500, LB100, MCLK12. Anthem AVM 90. Lumin U1. Bluesound Node. Oppo 205. Bowers & Wilkins 800 D3, CWM8.3D, CCM7.5 S2. SVS SB16-Ultra (4). Shunyata. Wireworld. Transparent. GIK.