AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Movies

Movies Past, Current & Future

Old 12-30-2019, 02:27 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
But Batman and Iron Man are nostalgic characters who were invented in the 60's! Jason Bourne is from a book. It makes my point...are there any seriously compelling NEW characters in movies?
Yeah, you've got a really good point about that, Marc.

Let me think on it a bit.

Cheers!
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:40 PM

Default STAR WARS 9: The Rise of Skywalker

IMHO...By far, the most interesting character put to film this year was the Voyager space probe [emoji48]

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F402EAD9-657F-46F8-86F6-268587189476.jpeg (294.4 KB, 305 views)

Last edited by JemHadar; 12-31-2019 at 06:04 AM.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:20 AM

Here come the spoilers. Figured about a week has passed..

First, here's the one from ScreenRant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2zZFtq13c4

And here's mine

Watching Rise of Skywalker a second time was more enjoyable.

5 things I picked up..

When Rey is burning Kylo’s TIE fighter and throws the lightsaber into the fire, Luke catches it and says “A Jedi’s weapon demands more respect” - that’s JJ saying Rian was wrong when he made Luke throw the lightsaber into the water at the start of Last Jedi.

When the Rebel fleet is deciding strategies on destroying the Final Order fleet, someone makes a mention about Holdo’s maneuver and was quickly dismissed as a one in a million fluke. Again back handed slap to Rian.

When Poe is giving the rally speech before their last assault he mentions Leia - just as the corelian corvette takes off - sense of homage.

Force theme plays when Finn realizes they used different navigation beacon from the one on the ground. I think that’s what Finn was trying to tell Rey - that he was Force sensitive.

When I first watched it, I always wondered why the two lightsabers were blue and not one green and one blue like in the re-enactment of Leias final training. But the Blue lightsaber is Leias and the first lightsaber Rey found is Anakin’s (also blue) the one Luke used in A New Hope.

Actually six.

Abrams even corrected Lucas oversight for Chewies medal at the end of A New Hope.

And 7 and 8

Oh and that scene in the caves when Rey uses his lightsaber and Poe only had a puny torchlight. lol

And having Han say - when Kylo is having trouble saying what he felt - “I know”.
😭
Old 01-02-2020, 12:35 AM

I thought chewie got a medal at the end of the original film? No?

Good catches on all that. I missed them (only saw once).

I really felt let down by the weak scene with the emperor. I would have made it a lengthy tag team light Saber battle with Rey and Ben both attacking together.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:40 AM

I’m what you would call a casual fan of the series. I really enjoyed this one. My goal of going to the movies is to be entertained and this delivered for me. I like nostalgia and I thought this had the right amount.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:36 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfBq8Jb5ahY

Quite a balanced discussion - Kevin Smith obviously loves it.. and Marc doesn't. Both raise good points

There have been many comments that the plot felt rushed. That there wasn't enough plot development because the action just flashes by you so quickly.

I don't disagree with that. I think a large part for that cramming was to undo the mistakes of TLJ

Marc also makes a good point about the fanservice.

Things that happen in the fan service happen for the fans but there is no pay off for the characters.

In EndGame, when all hope is gone, Cap America hears on his comms - On your left, there is a huge pay off because it is The Falcon. And there is meaning and emotional impact for him, And for us, the fans.

When that same moment happens in RoS, the fans cheer because the person saying it has a special meaning for the fans (as he pretty much reprised what he did in RotJ) but the character saying it doesn't have that same impact for Poe Dameron.

Still watching it. Can't believe it takes them as long as the movie runtime to discuss the movie :P
Old 01-03-2020, 05:24 PM

good post doggie I agree with most of what you have said... Overall was good, wish the last 3 were as good as the 1st 3 that is the bottom line... should have stayed with Lucas and Wish Ford was never killed off like that, was a BS story line IMOP...
Old 01-03-2020, 05:39 PM

Only because Ford wanted out permanently. But I agree with you. Many other ways to have handled it. Lucas should have never sold the franchise. I understand why, just wish he’d retained creative story line rights and script involvement.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:19 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddeophile View Post
Only because Ford wanted out permanently. But I agree with you. Many other ways to have handled it. Lucas should have never sold the franchise. I understand why, just wish he’d retained creative story line rights and script involvement.
I agree totally....I would assume that would have been a deal breaker for Disney to have to have Lucas OK everything going forward. I remember the day that deal went down......couldn’t believe it. I knew then that we were in for a merchandising nightmare.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 01-03-2020, 07:35 PM

Anybody notice the strange, disjointed "love triangle" that was created in TLJ and completely ignored in RoS?

Finn fell in love with both Rose and Rey, or something, in TLJ. And Rey was "jealous" of Finn when he was attending to Rose on the Falcon at the end of TLJ. At least that's how I read it.

In RoS, Rose is almost completely ignored, as is any love between Rey and Finn. Then at the end, she kisses someone else (I'll leave that spoiler out)...who she has NEVER seemed attracted to at all. Connected, I suppose.

Anyway, I'm just saying that was all very convoluted and nothing went anywhere. Kind of weird.