AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PS Audio

PS Audio Delivering the experience since 1974

Old 05-09-2009, 09:45 PM

Default DLIII DAC Upsampling

I have a Parts Connexion modified DLIII DAC that has been in my system for almost 2 years now. I've read quite a few reviews form magazines and also user online reviews about various characteristics of the two upsampling rates. Something that stuck in my mind was a few comments that the lower upsampling rate at 96 kHz tended to sound better with earlier generation CDs. Then I read the review in Tone and Jeff noted that the 192 kHz sampling rate presented images that were a bit less tightly focused. I had been listening at the 96k setting for a long time, but I checked to see if I could hear what Jeff did at 192k. Sure enough, images were a bit less tightly focused at 192k, but not in a bad way. Not thinking too much of it one way or the other I went back to 96k because I am a creature of habit and was used to it. Last night I was listening to some Grand Funk and then Diana Krall ( I am pretty diverse in my musical taste!). For whatever reason I decided to give a listen at 192k. Sure enough, imaging got a little less tight, as expected. But I was really surprised to hear an increase in dynamics at 192k. Bass was more articulate and powerful, and went deeper and louder. Same thing with attack and decay across the freq band, and all in a more natural presentation. It was like the dynamic range at 192k was better. Just wondering if any other AA members who use the DLIII have noticed these same traits? BTW, this is a superb DAC for the money, even considering the upgrade charge for the mods. Can’t wait to hear the new PWD DAC.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:45 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Sal........Grand Funk to Diana Krall, that's a segue you don't hear very often.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 05-09-2009, 11:49 PM

One of the reasons I want to build a server is to be able to just hit "random" and surprise even myself. It will be like having my own private radio station, WSAL!
Old 05-10-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmtpa View Post
One of the reasons I want to build a server is to be able to just hit "random" and surprise even myself. It will be like having my own private radio station, WSAL!
I was in the car this past week for about 9 hours each way of a trip. I had my iPod on random all the time. I too like listening in that manner.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:33 PM

I'm missing satellite radio fiercely at this point. Got it free for a year with my car lease and it expired last month. Local FM is a complete bust here so I'm probably going to have to resubscribe.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:47 PM
My name is Levi

I was thinking about getting my PS Audio DACiii modified by Cullen Circuit. I never heard about the mods by parts connexion. My other option is to ditch it and buy a better DAC$. I used the PS Audio DAC iii USB input to my MacBook Pro or my Windows computers only.

Cullen circuit stage 3 mods are $699 consists of the following modifications:
Replace 28 resistors in the audio signal path with Dale Rn55d copper leaded parts.
Replace 11 electrolytic capacitors with audio grade Muse caps.
Replace 8 FET's in the DAC?s output stage with hand matched low noise parts.
Install ERS cloth.
Install WBT NextGen 210cu RCA jacks.
Install clock modification board replacing internal clocks with low jitter clock.

I wonder if it is worth the time and effort?
Old 05-27-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmtpa View Post
I have a Parts Connexion modified DLIII DAC that has been in my system for almost 2 years now. I've read quite a few reviews form magazines and also user online reviews about various characteristics of the two upsampling rates. Something that stuck in my mind was a few comments that the lower upsampling rate at 96 kHz tended to sound better with earlier generation CDs. Then I read the review in Tone and Jeff noted that the 192 kHz sampling rate presented images that were a bit less tightly focused. I had been listening at the 96k setting for a long time, but I checked to see if I could hear what Jeff did at 192k. Sure enough, images were a bit less tightly focused at 192k, but not in a bad way. Not thinking too much of it one way or the other I went back to 96k because I am a creature of habit and was used to it. Last night I was listening to some Grand Funk and then Diana Krall ( I am pretty diverse in my musical taste!). For whatever reason I decided to give a listen at 192k. Sure enough, imaging got a little less tight, as expected. But I was really surprised to hear an increase in dynamics at 192k. Bass was more articulate and powerful, and went deeper and louder. Same thing with attack and decay across the freq band, and all in a more natural presentation. It was like the dynamic range at 192k was better. Just wondering if any other AA members who use the DLIII have noticed these same traits? BTW, this is a superb DAC for the money, even considering the upgrade charge for the mods. Can’t wait to hear the new PWD DAC.
Looking back at this post reminded me of when I had a Cary 303-300 in my system, You had the option of the following sampling rates. 44.1 (non) 96, 192, 383, 512, 768. You could also select either a tube or solids state output for each so the choices were numerous. I found that each CD had one or two optimal choices to chose from. I actually kept a notebook for awhile of the base rate for my main CD's. Usually the higher the rate the better but not in all instances.
Jim

Last edited by Still-One; 05-27-2009 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:16 PM
My name is Levi

I like the 192khz upsamling rate using USB input from my computer playing WAV music files. I hear more details in the background and more natural presentation. For some reasons, I like the WAV files better than the Apple Lossless Encoder. I believe I can pinpoint which is which even with a double-blind test. Hmmm...

Last edited by Levi; 05-27-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:40 AM

Levi,
I think only Cullen is now doing mods to the DLIII. Early on both Parts Connexion and Cullen were offering mods but lately I've only seen Cullen mods available. You may want to hold out for the new PWD since you can get full MSRP of your DLIII towards trade in on the PWD.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
Looking back at this post reminded me of when I had a Cary 303-300 in my system, You had the option of the following sampling rates. 44.1 (non) 96, 192, 383, 512, 768. You could also select either a tube or solids state output for each so the choices were numerous. I found that each CD had one or two optimal choices to chose from. I actually kept a notebook for awhile of the base rate for my main CD's. Usually the higher the rate the better but not in all instances.
Jim
I still find myself going back and forth between rates. Sometimes having the flexibility is a dual edged sword!