AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PS Audio

PS Audio Delivering the experience since 1974

Old 07-31-2009, 11:05 PM

Default First Encounter-PWT & PWD combo ... and then some!

I could not resist visiting the local dealer who managed to bring in 2 sets of the combo.

When I went in, I could see the combo was already playing, powered by the PPP and pushing a HEGEL 4A MkII power amp (understand its a 300 watter stereo amp at 8 Ohm). Speakers are the Canadian brand Gemme Audio Katana. These gears are very nicely build, especially the speakers, although the woofer is a little small to my liking.

The first thing that caught my eye was the blue hue of the touch screen on both the PWT & PWD. The top was shiny and was told its not glass but wood finished to a shine like glass!

Was also told the PWT comes with a 1GB removable memory and that the PWD does not. However, as an add on, user could top up with any higher capacity memory. This I am not sure and would like to check with PS Audio. 1Gb? To me, I would top it up to 32Gb!

The tray was the typical normal standard ones, meaning its not silent like the MCD500. However, the music performance is another level altogether. Its so analogue! To prove a point, the dealer took out a 35 year old Teresa Teng's POLYDOR CD. Although the songs were nice, this is one CD everyone chooses to miss as its very sharp and harsh. However, my jaw dropped (and so does my friend) when this same CD was played thru the combo. The highs and mids are so reminiscent of vinyl!!! The bass took on an added depth and instead of sounding like a dull "thud", it did went low. Repeated demo's thru CD's we are familiar produces astounding results.

If the MCD500 is tops (and it is!!!), this combo is like a NEW version of the player. More musical and pleasant. So smooth sounding, one can just sit there and keep listening. For sure, true blue SACD will NOT be playable on the transport, hybrid does. Understand there are newer formats coming out, HRx CD's. I dont know what they were but was told that costs would be in the same region as SACD's, but performance would be far better!

Now to the PS Audio cables. They must be seen to be believed. The made and quality is really outstanding! In comparison, it made the handwork of Cardas Golden Reference "rough". And I am talking about the mid price AC-5's! Both end plugs are so well made, I could not believe my eyes! In fact, what impressed me most is the tank like structure of the UK plug. For friends in Europe, take a look! They are by far the BEST there is! Bar none! Just looking at the UK plug would make you a fan of the cables!!!

Would I still keep my MVP871 and MCP500? Of course as I still love McIntosh to be in my bedroom.

However, the litmus test would be in 3 weeks time, where I will listen to a whole new setup altogether. Pictures? Of course, if you guys dont mind a completely NON McIntosh setup comprising of 3 make, Acapellas High Violon MkIV, PS Audio (Source/DA cum Pre and cables) and Jeff Rowland Class D amps!

Oh, one last thing (borrowed from my idol, Steve Jobs), understand there will be a range of products coming out soon and amps would be one of them. I am looking forward to them, as after seeing what PS Audio had done and produced (PWT/PWD/AC series cables), I am sure they would be exciting but reasonable priced products! The Bridge, the Digital Lens and of course the amps.

Just to share my first experience with this brand!

Cheers!
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar

Last edited by JSCC; 07-31-2009 at 11:50 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:14 PM

No, we do not mind a completely NON Mac setup. Pics please!
Old 07-31-2009, 11:38 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Jerry.......Thanks for the little peek in the dealer's window. I fully expect you will find your new Perfect Wave Transport, and Perfect Wave DAC to exceed your expectations. These two products have taken a great deal of time in development, and many of the design concepts are quite unique, especially the use of the HDMI cable between the transport and the DAC for the delivery of the I Squared S (I2S) data stream. By not mixing the clocks and data stream, jitter is essentially eliminated.

I know you are excited to get your hands on your very own PWT and PWD. I am looking forward to reading about your experiences with them.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 08-01-2009, 07:31 AM

Jerry did you get rid of your MC501's for a integrated amp ?
Old 08-01-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCC View Post
Was also told the PWT comes with a 1GB removable memory and that the PWD does not. However, as an add on, user could top up with any higher capacity memory. This I am not sure and would like to check with PS Audio. 1Gb? To me, I would top it up to 32Gb!

The Bridge, the Digital Lens and of course the amps.
Jerry
When I recently saw the unit it was explained to me the SD memory slot on the Transport was for retaining track and cover information that can be downloaded from the internet. This would only have to be done one time then the disc is recognized the next time you insert it.

Sounds like you have been won over can't wait for the unit. Doesn't anticipation drive you crazy?

I am looking forward to seeing how the Bridge and Digital Lens will fit in plus the addition of a video out for viewing the screen information before I make a jump to these products.
Jim
Old 08-01-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
Jerry did you get rid of your MC501's for a integrated amp ?
Not really, as I had the MA6600+TM2 (Integrated Amp + Tuner) with the MC501 at the same time.

What I did was sold off the MC501 and got myself the new Jeff Rowland Class D amps.

I still kept the MVP871 multi player & the MCD500 with me. Together with the integrated amp, they are going to be in the bedroom.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
Jerry
When I recently saw the unit it was explained to me the SD memory slot on the Transport was for retaining track and cover information that can be downloaded from the internet. This would only have to be done one time then the disc is recognized the next time you insert it.

Sounds like you have been won over can't wait for the unit. Doesn't anticipation drive you crazy?

I am looking forward to seeing how the Bridge and Digital Lens will fit in plus the addition of a video out for viewing the screen information before I make a jump to these products.
Jim
Well, I made the jump like a more than a month ago. Because of the backlog, especially the 240v versions, I had to wait, inclusive of the AC12 cables (which I bought a total of 5 pieces, one with an UK plug for the wall specially for the PPP).

Indeed I was bowl over by the various explanations/descriptions/demo's on the internet by Paul. All my doubts evaporated the moment I heard them at play on Adelphi's ground floor! Seriously apart from the build, which is really not bad for the calling price (of course nowhere near the MBL Reference Transport and DAC, but then, at 6 times more ... hmmm). The performance is more than exemplary! If the MCD500 got us all head over heels, wait till you hear this combo play!

Its the best ever, and I would even go to say on par with the MBL combo, apart from the build and weight!

Go take some of your favorite CDs and have a listen. You may be in for a pleasant surprise! I did and I had mine! A very happy one too!

Last edited by JSCC; 08-01-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
The SD memory slot found in the PWT is only used to store Album Metadata (covers, track titles, etc.). Additionally the SD card can also be used to update the firmware of either the PWT or PWD. The SD memory has no bearing on performance as the memory is not used as part to the solid state memory buffer for music.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
What I did was sold off the MC501 and got myself the new Jeff Rowland Class D amps.
Jerry, was this decision based on any real listening tests?
Old 08-03-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Go take some of your favorite CDs and have a listen. You may be in for a pleasant surprise! I did and I had mine! A very happy one too!
Jerry

I did listen, but only for a short period. A couple of weeks ago the local PSA dealer had a set for two days to try and determine whether or how many he was going to order.

It is not the best listening environment but they sounded pretty good. Until I can get the opportunity for an extended listen with familiar material, I will not rush to judgement. Since it would hard for me to see that small screen from my seating position the lack of video outputs is a real issue and would probably kill a purchase on my part.
Jim