AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 03-28-2019, 11:54 PM

Default Setting up Reference Phono 3

Even though AR site list Ref. Phone 3 as “Natural” finish only, I asked my dealer to order me in black. No problem there.

I was surprised to see plexi-glass covers both at the bottom as well as top.

Rest was easy, just plug in the tubes as marked and off you go.

But how do you achieve even 50 hours of break-in?

Waiting for the VPI HW-40 to arrive.

Some photos (sorry about the poor quality photos)

Yogi.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Aurender A30 -> Mac C1100 -> 2 x Mac MC611 > Franco Serblin Accordo Essence + Pair of REL Carbon Special

Aurender A10 -> Mac C1100 -> 2 x Mac MC611 > Joseph Audio PERSPECTIVE2 Graphene

VPI 40th. Anniversary Direct Drive -> Audio Research Ref. 3 Phono

Aurender A10 -> Ref 6 -> GS150 > PMC Fact 12

McIntosh MCD500 -> C1100 - >MC452 > PMC Fact 12

Aurender A10 -> -> E470 > PMC Fact 12

Speakers: Monitor Audio PL200 , , Monitor Audio GX200
PMC Fact 12

Tidal -> Aurender S10 -> Accuphase DC-37 -> Accuphase E-470 -> Monitor Audio GX200

Tidal -> Aurender S10 -> MD108T Signature DAC -> Mcintosh C1100 ->McIntosh MC452 -> JBL 4344

Last edited by Banter; 03-29-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:39 AM

Congratulations! I asked Dave Gordon about this very question for Steve aka sl1800, who is also considering a Ref phono 3.

Dave's recommendation is the Hagerman frybaby 2.
Old 03-29-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Congratulations! I asked Dave Gordon about this very question for Steve aka sl1800, who is also considering a Ref phono 3.

Dave's recommendation is the Hagerman frybaby 2.

Thank you. I now found out, there is also Granite Audio Burn-in CD for the phono stages.

Yogi.

Aurender A30 -> Mac C1100 -> 2 x Mac MC611 > Franco Serblin Accordo Essence + Pair of REL Carbon Special

PMC Fact 12

Tidal -> Aurender S10 -> Accuphase DC-37 -> Accuphase E-470 -> Monitor Audio GX200

Tidal -> Aurender S10 -> MD108T Signature DAC -> Mcintosh C1100 ->McIntosh MC452 -> JBL 4344
Old 03-29-2019, 05:03 PM

I don't have a Ref 3 phono but have the Ref 6 preamp - great unit. I bought the Granite Audio CD and lost it before I could even use the damn thing! I bought a Frybaby 2 last month, and it's been great. Very versatile and convenient; I just plug it in where needed without hauling around a CD or digital player hookup (digital payback is VERY de-emphasized here). The FryBaby has a very easy control to switch between MC, MM, and full line levels. Really just set it and forget it. Made a nice improvement on the Lundahl LL 1931 SUT in my VAC phono stage, after an easy 100 hours. Also note that the Granite CD only has MC burn-in on the last track; the others are MM. You'll want to burn in your Phono 3 in MC mode.

The FryBaby is a more complete solution, imo. You can burn in cables, preamps, phonos, etc. Next I might get that Origin Live adapter cable, so that combined with the FryBaby, it can burn in tonearm wiring and phono cables all the way from the headshell leads.

Buying the FryBaby also made me remember how much I enjoyed the old Hagerman Trumpet phono stage. I'd like to give the newer one a spin! That said, I don't think it's touching a Ref 3.

Last edited by mulveling; 03-29-2019 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:11 PM

I love my Reference 3 - in particular, the ability to change the loading with a remote control BUT I do wish there were more values in the adjustment range.

I recently got the new VTL TP2.5i and setting up the loadings using tiny jumper plugs is a major pain in the butt for someone with fat fingers - they don't even use DIP switches which I can at least flick with a screw driver. But once I dialed in the ClearAudio Stradivari v2... DAMN, it sounded sublime.
Old 03-30-2019, 03:41 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
I don't have a Ref 3 phono but have the Ref 6 preamp - great unit. I bought the Granite Audio CD and lost it before I could even use the damn thing! I bought a Frybaby 2 last month, and it's been great. Very versatile and convenient; I just plug it in where needed without hauling around a CD or digital player hookup (digital payback is VERY de-emphasized here). The FryBaby has a very easy control to switch between MC, MM, and full line levels. Really just set it and forget it. Made a nice improvement on the Lundahl LL 1931 SUT in my VAC phono stage, after an easy 100 hours. Also note that the Granite CD only has MC burn-in on the last track; the others are MM. You'll want to burn in your Phono 3 in MC mode.

The FryBaby is a more complete solution, imo. You can burn in cables, preamps, phonos, etc. Next I might get that Origin Live adapter cable, so that combined with the FryBaby, it can burn in tonearm wiring and phono cables all the way from the headshell leads.

Buying the FryBaby also made me remember how much I enjoyed the old Hagerman Trumpet phono stage. I'd like to give the newer one a spin! That said, I don't think it's touching a Ref 3.
Yes, the Frybaby 2 is a fine way to burn in cables and components.

And yes, you can combine burn-in of tonearm wiring and a phono stage. It is very easy and inexpensive to make an adapter cable for the tonearm - even I could do it. You need 4 short lengths of wire, RCA plugs, shrink wrap, with the key being a male DIN plug. Also the tools to solder. I used the Cardas M DIN from Parts Connexion. The connection goes:

FryBaby2-->Tonearm Adapter Cable--> Tonearm cartridge clips -- Tonearm RCAs into phono stage.

Here is a mediocre picture of the FryBaby2 used to burn-in silver Kondo tonearm wire on a Kuzma 4Point. The red wired thing is the homemade adapter cable.

A nice walk-through on making an adapter cable is here.

PS - do *not* burn-in any Shunyata cable featuring their KPIP process.

Last edited by tima; 03-30-2019 at 03:46 AM. Reason: add PS
Old 04-01-2019, 01:20 PM

Some very useful information being shared here. Thank you gentlemen!

I now found out the Ref. 6 Preamp also has a bottom plexi-glass cover. Did not look under Ref. 5 while I had it.

Also realised the Ref. 3 Phono gets as hot as the Ref. 6 pre does.

PMC Fact 12

Old 04-15-2019, 05:20 PM

Anybody used the frybaby2 with XLR cables? How did you set up to daisy chain them for the second stage burn in (current)? Of course RCA -> XLR adaptors are required I’m just concerned which direction the current flies do one side of the cables aren’t reversed current burn in.
Thanks!