AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 06-29-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwbadger View Post

I am trying to decide 2301/2500 vs ref5se/250's

ayre dx-5, kxr, mxr, Vandersteen 5A, marantz 8801, Vandersteen vcc-5, Vandersteen vsm sig
My family is from Binghamton so I'm biased. It will be a defining moment for you. Can't lose either way.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaudio68 View Post

My family is from Binghamton so I'm biased. It will be a defining moment for you. Can't lose either way.
I live in Wi but dislike Mn (vikequeens)!

Lots of Stickley furniture.

ayre dx-5, kxr, mxr, Vandersteen 5A, marantz 8801, Vandersteen vcc-5, Vandersteen vsm sig
Old 06-29-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
You have 275's with ref5se - why the need to change amps?

How did ref250 compare to your 275's???

I also plan on a vpi classic TT

Thx

There really is no need to change amps. I just thought maybe more power would get the most out of my speakers. In comparing the ref 250 with the mc275 the ref took control of the sound, not just bass but at all levels. The sound was more precise, more detailed much like a really good ss amp but with a tube sound. I liked it a lot.Almost just had them leave the demo's in my room for good.The mc275 does have something though, hard to put your finger on it, just that really nice McIntosh tubey house sound.I could live easily with these now that I paired them with the ref5 se. The pre made a huge difference. The pace and timing of the music was much improved imo. Remember that there is a big price difference. The ref 5se is about double the price of the 2500, and no phono stage. The mc pre does a lot in one box for a good price and represents good value, although when you try to include a phono stage and a dac for that price something has to be lacking somewhere. Just my opinion.

Shindo D'Yquems
Shindo Vosne Romanee
Devore 0/96
Luxman PD-171
Dynavector xx2 MkII
Luxman DA-06
Mac Mini
Magnum Dynalab MD 107t
Shindo and A23 Cables
Old 06-29-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLG4EVR View Post

There really is no need to change amps. I just thought maybe more power would get the most out of my speakers. In comparing the ref 250 with the mc275 the ref took control of the sound, not just bass but at all levels. The sound was more precise, more detailed much like a really good ss amp but with a tube sound. I liked it a lot.Almost just had them leave the demo's in my room for good.The mc275 does have something though, hard to put your finger on it, just that really nice McIntosh tubey house sound.I could live easily with these now that I paired them with the ref5 se. The pre made a huge difference. The pace and timing of the music was much improved imo. Remember that there is a big price difference. The ref 5se is about double the price of the 2500, and no phono stage. The mc pre does a lot in one box for a good price and represents good value, although when you try to include a phono stage and a dac for that price something has to be lacking somewhere. Just my opinion.
That is very good information!

Are the 275's less fatiguing with digital vs the AR 250's???

Worried if I go 5se and ref250's too sterile/cold vs 5se / 275's

Ted

Old 06-29-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
That is very good information!

Are the 275's less fatiguing with digital vs the AR 250's???

Worried if I go 5se and ref250's too sterile/cold vs 5se / 275's

Ted

I would not be concerned about the ref250's being too sterile or cold. They are not at all. Less fatiguing, either combination can easily be listened to for many, many hours with absolutely no listener fatigue. Curious the size of your room. Mine is about 15x30x 10ft ceilings. Easy to handle the power of the ref250's. Even though I tend to play loud I never felt overpowered with the ref's. That said these amps cruised without even breaking a sweat at big volume. Definitely more detail than the mc275's. I think the ref5 se is a no-brainer, just a great pre-amp. Regarding amp you have to listen to both combinations and see what pleases your ear the most.
I am also very happy with the arc ph8 phono stage but find that I am playing a lot more vinyl than originally anticipated and am considering trading up to ref2 se phono stage. The vpi classic 1 is great value in tt and I can't see trading up anytime soon.If I was looking to move up a better cart would be the next move.

Shindo D'Yquems
Shindo Vosne Romanee
Devore 0/96
Luxman PD-171
Dynavector xx2 MkII
Luxman DA-06
Mac Mini
Magnum Dynalab MD 107t
Shindo and A23 Cables
Old 06-29-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLG4EVR View Post

I would not be concerned about the ref250's being too sterile or cold. They are not at all. Less fatiguing, either combination can easily be listened to for many, many hours with absolutely no listener fatigue. Curious the size of your room. Mine is about 15x30x 10ft ceilings. Easy to handle the power of the ref250's. Even though I tend to play loud I never felt overpowered with the ref's. That said these amps cruised without even breaking a sweat at big volume. Definitely more detail than the mc275's. I think the ref5 se is a no-brainer, just a great pre-amp. Regarding amp you have to listen to both combinations and see what pleases your ear the most.
I am also very happy with the arc ph8 phono stage but find that I am playing a lot more vinyl than originally anticipated and am considering trading up to ref2 se phono stage. The vpi classic 1 is great value in tt and I can't see trading up anytime soon.If I was looking to move up a better cart would be the next move.
Thx!

Ordering 5se

I have a big room with tall ceilings.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Thx!

Ordering 5se

I have a big room with tall ceilings.

You will enjoy it. As discussed many times in ARC forums give it a while to break in. It will sound good right out of the box but will definitely improve.

Shindo D'Yquems
Shindo Vosne Romanee
Devore 0/96
Luxman PD-171
Dynavector xx2 MkII
Luxman DA-06
Mac Mini
Magnum Dynalab MD 107t
Shindo and A23 Cables
Old 06-29-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:

Thx!

Ordering 5se
Awesome and congrats! I believe you won't regret it! I love my ref 5 and can't wait for the SE upgrade later this summer...

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Old 06-29-2013, 11:05 PM

I had the K-XR and Ref 5SE in my system and slightly preferred the Ref5se.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New guy View Post
I had the K-XR and Ref 5SE in my system and slightly preferred the Ref5se.
Amps?