Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 12-27-2012, 08:44 AM

something like that

Frank
Old 12-27-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomictime View Post
I have Vandy 5a with 7 Filters along with VX-R and Ref 5se with near 700 hours. I have taken to leaving the VX on when I know I will listen that eve. It takes a good 8 hours to turn magical. Not sure if the KX takes as long. the SE is magic after the breakin and warm for an hour. I listened to both a fair bit and went with ARC. Both are stellar.
The Ayre R series are best left on...unless you leave for a week or so out of town...and then just put into standby. They really have no need to ever be fully off (unless you're leaving for a extended period). My MXR's are always on unless out of town for a week or more...then they go into standby...
Old 12-27-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomictime View Post
I have Vandy 5a with 7 Filters along with VX-R and Ref 5se with near 700 hours. I have taken to leaving the VX on when I know I will listen that eve. It takes a good 8 hours to turn magical. Not sure if the KX takes as long. the SE is magic after the breakin and warm for an hour. I listened to both a fair bit and went with ARC. Both are stellar.
Could you please give your reasoning for picking the 5se vs kxr? Did the kxr sound lean at all with the mxr's and vandy's? Please assume cost is the same.

Also, how long after turning on does the 5se sound say 90% optimum. Do you turn on prior to listening or does it sound good right away and get better over first 60 minutes?

I assume one would not want to leave a tube "anything" like a preamp always "on" like a ss preamp.

Thx again!
Old 12-27-2012, 10:48 AM

ARC REF 5 SE. It's highly regarded and there's enough people who have tried the combo and love it. The ARC will also be easier to resell as ARC gear has a broader appeal - IMO opinion of course. It will give some tube magic to the Ayre amp.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:15 PM

Default My thoughts...

Yes, understand the R series should be left on. IMO and judging from the hand test, the VXR runs pretty warm..i may just get to the point of leaving it on but the cleaning person just loves to ignore my large font 900 sign on the Stickley cabinet that says DO NOT CLOSE DOORS !!!! Ha. removing the doors violates WAF.

My thoughts on how long to magic. During breakin about 2 hours to get liquid midrange and extreme depth, now less than a CD..say 30 minutes. NO, i do NOT leave the 5SE on.

On choosing the ARC vs. the Ayre, and yes I essentially called them a tie in price, even tho they are clearly not, plus my color in black, an Ayre upcharge.

I worked with two long running Vandy, ARC and Ayre dealers, one w model sevens. (I split the business w one getting amp sale, another getting PRE). While they both favor the tube pre and SS amp pairing, I made my own call, including demo of Ref 150. I also demo'd many other pres at other dealers to include Joule, CJ, Levinson, Mac, Aesthetix, .list goes on. THEY all have incredible virtues...this was a tough choice.

ARC won out on four variables, soft but extended treble, liquid midrange w female vocals and massed vocals to die for, image DEPTH which w Vandersteens can be VERY revealing, and finally MID bass in the so called power range. I have some trouble hearing timbre in standup acoustic bass and I can "get it" with the REf5.

The KXR shines on less noise, blacker background, low bass (although IMO not an Ayre strong suite w amps...maybe a vestige of zero Fb ?), and a VERY extended top end that is grain free.

Just my buck fifty, which is 2 cents adjusted for inflation...

Jim

Picking the

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwbadger View Post
Could you please give your reasoning for picking the 5se vs kxr? Did the kxr sound lean at all with the mxr's and vandy's? Please assume cost is the same.

Also, how long after turning on does the 5se sound say 90% optimum. Do you turn on prior to listening or does it sound good right away and get better over first 60 minutes?

I assume one would not want to leave a tube "anything" like a preamp always "on" like a ss preamp.

Thx again!
Old 12-28-2012, 12:31 AM

How would you describe kxr midrange with voices?

Did you find kxr bright at all?

Which pre came in second?

Thx
Ted
Old 12-28-2012, 01:20 AM

The KXR came in a very close 2nd and of course this is thru my own subjective selection process....Lots of rooms, cables, sources, etc. Having in the end two dealers with VERY similar lines of product helped a LOT.

NO, I do not feel it is bright, more dry than wet in the midrange.

As many have said, no going wrong w either.

JIm

Quote:
How would you describe kxr midrange with voices?

Did you find kxr bright at all?

Which pre came in second?

Thx
Ted
Old 12-28-2012, 09:54 AM

What cables are you running ?
Old 12-28-2012, 03:35 PM

IC are Acoustic Zen Silver Ref 2 XLR
Pigtails out of Model 7 Hi Pass are Audioquest Sky
Speaker Cable ( current weak link) are Audioquest Type 6 in shotgun bi-wire, all spades.

Quote:
What cables are you running ?