AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 03-08-2015, 02:38 PM

Default Shunyata Research A/C regenerator?

I am using a PS Audio Power Plant Premier (PPP) A/C regenerator for some components, because my incoming power is of poor quality for noise and voltage variation. My PPP measures an incoming noise on the line of ~8% vs. a more typical <3.5% and have checked the results with another PPP to ensure consistent measurements. Voltages also vary +3/-4V or so and I've checked that with my NIST calibrated Fluke multimeter, noting my preamp power supply doesn't work very well below ~117V. I would use an A/C regenerator on my power amp, but haven't found one up to the task. The poor incoming power quality may be a rarity for most, but is there anything in the works for a Shunyata Research A/C regenerator? Any other recommendations?

Last edited by anonymous; 03-08-2015 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:42 PM

anonymous: What country do you live in?

I think your PPP is measuring "harmonic distortion" which is different than "noise". A reading of 8% THD is higher than what is normal. What usually causes this is a flat topped AC waveform. This means that the current load on the line exceeds the capacity of the line to deliver the current demanded by your attached equipment. Since the line cannot deliver the current the voltage drops at the crest of the waveform. This can be caused by in-wall wiring that is too small in gauge or more likely is caused by the power company transformer feeding your home to be too small for the load. The PPP is inadequate to make a proper assessment of what is needed to correct your power quality issues. I would suggest that you get a professional to connect a power analyzer to your circuit and to use a current probe on the AC circuit and at the electrical panel to find the true cause of your issue. You may simply need to upgrade the in-wall wiring or you may need to contact the power company to increase the service rating to your home.

The voltage variation of +3/-4V is not unusual and it not a problem unless the voltage exceeds (assuming you are in the US) 130VAC or is below ~110VAC. Typical reading are between 112-127VAC.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
anonymous: What country do you live in?

I think your PPP is measuring "harmonic distortion" which is different than "noise". A reading of 8% THD is higher than what is normal. What usually causes this is a flat topped AC waveform. This means that the current load on the line exceeds the capacity of the line to deliver the current demanded by your attached equipment. Since the line cannot deliver the current the voltage drops at the crest of the waveform. This can be caused by in-wall wiring that is too small in gauge or more likely is caused by the power company transformer feeding your home to be too small for the load. The PPP is inadequate to make a proper assessment of what is needed to correct your power quality issues. I would suggest that you get a professional to connect a power analyzer to your circuit and to use a current probe on the AC circuit and at the electrical panel to find the true cause of your issue. You may simply need to upgrade the in-wall wiring or you may need to contact the power company to increase the service rating to your home.

The voltage variation of +3/-4V is not unusual and it not a problem unless the voltage exceeds (assuming you are in the US) 130VAC or is below ~110VAC. Typical reading are between 112-127VAC.
Thank you for your quick reply!

Live in New Mexico. The older part of the house outlets all measured ~8% and when I added on an addition with another mains box and four (4) separate 20A dedicated lines for the music room still had the same issue (as did all the other outlets in the addition). Your comment about the " ... power company transformer feeding your home to be too small for the load ... " wouldn’t be much of a surprise. I did ask about increasing the power supply to the house, but the response wasn’t as hoped. So, looking at how to make it better with what I have.

Last edited by anonymous; 03-09-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Thank you for your quick reply!

Live in New Mexico. The older part of the house outlets all measured ~8% and when I added on an addition with another mains box and four (4) separate 20A dedicated lines for the music room still had the same issue (as did all the other outlets in the addition). Your comment about the “ … power company transformer feeding your home to be too small for the load …” wouldn’t be much of a surprise. I did ask about increasing the power supply to the house, but the response wasn’t as hoped. So, looking at how to make it better with what I have.
If you can document that the voltage level to the home is below standards they may be required to upgrade the transformer. Do a little research with local regulations. jdandy my have some good advice.

Some people have gone the extra mile and paid to have the transformer upgraded.

The PPP may help your source equipment but it will not help the amplifiers. Amplifiers need current. Your problem is a lack of current capacity. The harmonic distortion and resultant voltage drop are just the symptoms. The PPP actually consumes power (current) to provide a regulated voltage. So you have a net loss of current capacity.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:20 AM

The transformer covers quite a wide area, as I understand it, and without the THD measurement off the PS Audio Power Plant Premier letting me know there is an issue I have to wonder if this is a rare incidence or much more pervasive than thought. My amp clearly has much better transient response with a Shunyata Hydra in the loop than without. Perhaps an untapped market or do current products directly address this issue already, if indirectly?

Last edited by anonymous; 03-09-2015 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
The transformer covers quite a wide area, as I understand it, and without the THD measurement off the PS Audio Power Plant Premier letting me know there is an issue I have to wonder if this is a rare incidence or much more pervasive than thought. My amp clearly has much better transient response with a Shunyata Hydra in the loop than without. Perhaps an untapped market or do current products directly address this issue already, if indirectly?
Hydras are not end all be all products. They do two things: minimize instantaneous current loss and reduce power line noise. We call this DTCD (dynamic instantaneous current delivery) and CCI (component to component interference). We believe that is the best design philosophy for high-end audio power performance.

There are some specific cases where voltage regulation may be required. In these cases we recommend an industrial voltage regulator to be professionally installed at the electrical service entrance. In some cases there is insufficient current capacity. These require a change to the power transformer and or the supply wiring.

Harmonic distortion is rarely if ever a real world problem in home single phase installations. Low levels of harmonic distortion do not affect any competently designed power supply that I am aware of.

As I have said many times, the best form of transient surge protection is provided by a "whole house" surge protection module.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:13 PM

Caelin, time is quite valuable and I greatly appreciate that you have taken the time to respond to my inquiries.

I'm no longer convinced my home power installation is that much different from many others. I hear changes, sometimes quite significant improvements, with every Shunyata product I've tried; the Hydra just being one example. Looking forward to try the new Alpha/Sigma lines (the first Alpha HC arrives today).