AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 11-24-2019, 12:39 AM

This reminds me of when I was younger and enjoyed listening to records that I never cleaned on a BIC turntable plugged into a Lafayette receiver through speakers my Dad made ( which only had a woofer ). Believe it or not - it sounded great. Course that was before I knew better.

Relevance to the thread, not really sure, I have to remind myself that in the end, it is all about enjoying the music, and in the end, whatever makes one happy!

Last edited by baddog; 11-24-2019 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:19 AM

I didn't understand much of what was said other than I do not need to change having my computer connected to my pre-amplifier DAC using an USB cable.

Last edited by BuffaloBill; 11-24-2019 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:28 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
I really like the fact that people are weighing in with a lot of very useful information on the subject of improving Ethernet audio performance. I am pretty familiar with Switched Ethernet and know that there are a lot of mechanisms at work at the PHY level that can and do impact audio performance completely apart from the Datalink and Transport layers. I am still working on the AC power for my system. Once I get that sorted Ethernet will be next and these discussions are helpful.
Tom

+1.

Thank you gentlemen!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 11-24-2019, 02:45 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM3CPO View Post
@ Puma Cat

Just wanted to let you know that I am not at odds with you. I was merely reading several people confusing numerous different subjects and I was trying to add some clarity by providing information. As I too have said at least three times, I have no problem with people who claim these work in their systems. I provided the information on the Ethernet frames and protocol because there were posts from people thinking differences were being made at this level.

I can hear differences in some system tweaks that dont entirely make any sense either (Stillponts and HRS products for example). Not all variables are known, so its possible an unknown variable is affected in a positive way from using an EtherREGEN. But there is also no way to measure something you dont know..

To me, there is nothing wrong with being skeptical. But dont take that skepticism as me disagreeing with your conclusions.
Hi IM3CPO (sorry, I don't know your first name...),
Absolutely no worries, I didn't take any of your posts at being at odds with mine. And, even if they were, I'd be fine with that, as long as opposing perspectives are coming from providing alternate sensibilities, expertise and viewpoints that help inform and help the community-at-large. My view is we should all help to contribute in a meaningful way to the very nice community-at-large we have at AA.

As a (now retired) professional scientist my entire life, healthy skepticism can bring a valuable perspective with respect to staying objective about "improvements", and being mindful of confirmation and ascertainment bias.

Cheers and best reagards,
Stephen
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:52 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibaman View Post
Thanks gentlemen. This has definitely been educational.

Stephen, I’m sorry if this evolved and wound up derailing your initial thread just to get it through my thick head.
Absolutely no worries, Mike; my only goals are to help inform the community here to have a greater insight with respect to various audio applications, and be able to help folks make informed possible purchase decisions for products that create...quality and value for them.

Admittedly, when data communication protocols and technologies become involved in our stereo systems, things can get pretty complicated pretty quickly.

I'm definitely not an Ethernet/TCP/IP subject matter expert (my guess is that IM3CPO has professional experience in this domain), and I'm still learning here...just reading and gathering as much info as I can to help inform my thinking process...so that I can make informed decisions. For example, I had never heard of (clock) phase noise before reading about it in an article by John Swenson at AS (used to be CA), nor did I understand the impact of the insidious high-impedance leakage currents on digital streaming.

So...I'm just doin' what I've always done: behave like a scientist: read, learn, gather info and data, and do experiments with an open mind.

Cheers, mate!
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 11-24-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:03 AM

Glad to hear this device is providing SQ benefits and this is timely for me as I am trying to work out ethernet upgrade. As far as implementation, I have 30' from router to streamer, so would this go near the router or near the streamer? I was thinking using a long run of something like the Supra cat 8 and for the last short run to the streamer would use a better cable like AQ Vodka. Where would the EtherRegen go ideally? Unfortunately I didn't plan on this upgrade with dedicated power lines

Last edited by torxx; 12-05-2019 at 09:05 AM. Reason: update
Old 12-05-2019, 02:49 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by torxx View Post
Glad to hear this device is providing SQ benefits and this is timely for me as I am trying to work out ethernet upgrade. As far as implementation, I have 30' from router to streamer, so would this go near the router or near the streamer? I was thinking using a long run of something like the Supra cat 8 and for the last short run to the streamer would use a better cable like AQ Vodka. Where would the EtherRegen go ideally? Unfortunately I didn't plan on this upgrade with dedicated power lines
Hi Torxx,
The going recommendation is to place EtherREGEN near the streamer and use a shorter Ethernet cable to run from that to your streamer or network bridge. Also, ER was designed so that it doesn't matter what quality Ethernet cable is used for the (long) run from the router to ER, as it will clean up all the "grunge" (high-impedance leakage currents, clock phase noise, etc), so yeah, I'd say a long run of Supra Cat8 from your router to the A-side of ER would work well for your application. Then run a higher quality cable out of the B-side to your streamer.

As for AQ Vodka, that's a nice Ethernet cable, but if your budget allows, the Shunyata Venom Ethernet is considerably better-sounding. Actually, its not even close. I did extensive A/B comparisons between Venom and Vodka when beta-testing the Shunyata Ethernet cables, and Venom is considerably quieter, and notably more open, spacious, extended, natural-sounding with top-end airiness. While the Vodka is a nice cable, it sounds closed and constricted compared to Venom.

As for power, no worries there, no need for dedicated lines or aftermarket linear power supplies. Just use the supplied Meanwell power supply brick; it was specifically designed not to pass low- and high-impedance leakage currents that are insidious with the 99.9% of switch-mode power supplies. The ER owners at the Uptone forum at AS (used to be CA) are saying there's no audible gain from using an external linear power supply. I'm using a Shunyata Venom V14 Digital power cord for powering the supplied power supply, as I've found these to provide a real and notable improvement when powering the power supplies for digital devices. At ~$199, they are affordable enough to be used in a number of locations in one digital chain. For example, they improved both the Uptone LPS-1.2 used for my Sonore OpticalModule FMC, and it really improved the sound from my Keces P3 LPS that powers the SOtM SMS-200 UltraNeo network bridge.

Hope this info helps...

Last edited by Puma Cat; 12-05-2019 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:52 PM

Received this from UpTone today:

“You are receiving this message because you are among the 200 people who placed an order for the revolutionary new EtherREGEN switch and at the time of order were promised a ship date of sometime in January 2020.

Many of you know that on the October 8th launch day we quickly sold out nearly 500 units in the first hour (half shipped in November and the rest just this week). At that time we had neither the exact parts scheduling out to a third batch for January, nor the assembly/test time data to know how long each 250-unit cycle would take. Now we do. It does take a lot of time to produce and ship this many units, but we are committed to filling everyone's orders as quickly as possible. We know that for many of you, January is a long wait!

So I am pleased to report that the circuit boards and cases for January are arriving now, and even with closure of our offices for year-end holidays, we can assure you of shipment of your EtherREGEN by January 16th. We generally ship big batches over the course of several days, so some of you may receive e-mail notice of shipment in the days before the 16th.”
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 12-06-2019, 07:20 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Received this from UpTone today:

“You are receiving this message because you are among the 200 people who placed an order for the revolutionary new EtherREGEN switch and at the time of order were promised a ship date of sometime in January 2020.

Many of you know that on the October 8th launch day we quickly sold out nearly 500 units in the first hour (half shipped in November and the rest just this week). At that time we had neither the exact parts scheduling out to a third batch for January, nor the assembly/test time data to know how long each 250-unit cycle would take. Now we do. It does take a lot of time to produce and ship this many units, but we are committed to filling everyone's orders as quickly as possible. We know that for many of you, January is a long wait!

So I am pleased to report that the circuit boards and cases for January are arriving now, and even with closure of our offices for year-end holidays, we can assure you of shipment of your EtherREGEN by January 16th. We generally ship big batches over the course of several days, so some of you may receive e-mail notice of shipment in the days before the 16th.”
That's Alex for you....always working to exceed expectations.

January will be here soon enough, Tony!
Old 12-07-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
I did extensive A/B comparisons between Venom and Vodka when beta-testing the Shunyata Ethernet cables
Awaiting a VR10 ad VR12 to come in the mail (thank you Ivan) for the amp and pre initially, so looking forward to that. Looks like I need to add a Venom Ethernet cable to that order $. Is there an ideal recommended length for the premium ethernet cables?

Last edited by torxx; 12-07-2019 at 09:51 AM. Reason: spell