AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 06-01-2012, 12:30 PM

I'm looking forward to the apple tv. All my flat panels tv's are Sony.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:49 PM
Genuflector

Thought I would quickly share my Elite story with you fine gentlemen...

So, the media receiver for my 7 yr old Pioneer Elite Plasma (family room TV) bit the dust a few weeks ago. I looked into repairing it myself (I was hoping it was just a bad power supply, but appears to have been something more sinister). I also looked into having it repaired or replaced but those options were not cost-effective relative to just buying a new plasma set (sadly). So off to the recycling center went the old Elite (like bringing a beloved pet to the vet that one last time). Then it was time to look around at new Plasmas - I won't buy an LCD due to off-axis viewing.

Now, having seen OLED displays and knowing what's coming (or hopefully coming), I decided to minimize my short-term investment and look in the <$1K range for a new plasma. I ended up with this basic LG from my local Sam's Club (didn't want 3D and already have Apple TV so didn't need a smart TV either). This LG has been well reviewed, looks awesome with HD content, and at 60" is appreciably larger than my old 50" Elite. Only minor issue is highly reflective glass screen - but pulling the shades behind the viewing area takes 3 seconds.

Bottom line... I just can't see spending appreciable cashola on a new set when step-function new display technology is close at hand (re: OLED).

Old 06-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Semi-audiophile

My biggest gripe with most of the new crop of TVs is the poor sound systems they have, a consequence of the push to thinner sets. The Elite has a decent one (15wpc, I think), and that would be important for someone like me who isn't set up to have a separate sound system for the TV and doesn't have the desire to connect the TV to my main system. One of the factors in my getting a PRO-111FD was the sound quality (which is even better now that I swapped out the stock power cord for a WW Stratus). Excellent sound for a flat panel, and enough to meet my needs.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:56 PM

I really like my 60" Pioneer Kuro. I also like my 46" Samsung 6 series LCD. The Pioneer is the better set, it has better sound and a more film like picture. It also doesn't suffer from the pixillation that the LCD does, something I notice on every LCD set I've seen.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:06 PM

I don't mind having paid top dollar for my Kuro. I still find the picture absolutely stunning to this day. I just wish I had bought a larger set! I can't believe how the prices for sets have fallen. I can get a nice Panny 60" plasma for less that what I bought my 42" for a few years ago.

I also have a Sony XBR LCD and while it's a nice set it doesn't come close to the Kuro. I have a problem with the lack of motion control on LCD's, but at the same time I'm prone to seeing yellow streaking on my Plasma. Sucks to be me...
Old 06-20-2012, 06:02 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPal View Post
Can't say I'm a fan of Samsung as I can't say they are allegedly built to last around 3000hrs. Can say the 12 month warranty has discretionary reservations which are questionable in the event of a statutory claim. Read it. Can't say anymore, sorry.

Late last year, I bought the current model Sony Bravia 65" HX925 (in USA it's the HX929) with a cheque. :O. In today's world, I've kind of forgotten what cheques look like, but on occasion it's nice to settle a transaction with a cheque.

So leading on from the path of TV justice, there are no regrets, no issues with the new choice. The standard 3 year manufacturer's warranty has been extended to 5 years at my option too. Something extra that was available with the 65" in this part of the world.

Truth be known, the standard warranty length is a good litmus as to what you are buying into nowadays. By subscribing to the smart TV phenomenon, they want you to keep upgrading... Some manufacturer's are more cunning than others with their engineering practices in order to help nudge the consumer along into the next generation.... Hardly environmentally green is it...

So my only gripe with the Sony as with any other TV is the power lead! If you change the power lead on the Sony to an audiophile quality PC, trim the power saver setting to low, after a calibration, the LCD panel will disappear & you will get 100% uniform black without question! (A better PC will boost any TV).

BTW, I have also performed user mode calibrations with both the Sony 55" HX925 & the Samsung Series 8 (D8000 MY2011) side-by-side. Let's just say outside of your local bulk electrical store, most would prefer the Sony in their lounge room. As for the 65", it is only available exclusively through a Sony outlet in Australia. The Sony 65" has a better panel too & you $pay$ for it.. It is true the North American version HX929 was say, a little Latino, but it was sorted & it does tango with the best...
I replaced the cord on my 111 with a Wireworld Stratus, and can agree with the improvement a good PC brings. Definitely better sound, and I think the picture is a tad sharper now (it took longer for that to manifest). I've also switched back to HDMI going out from the cable box (from component) with a better cable than before (Pangea HD-26L) and I think that may have dropped some improvement into the mix also. Good TVs should have good cables; these need not be expensive, either. The Elite (or any other quality set) will benefit, I think.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerman View Post
I don't mind having paid top dollar for my Kuro. I still find the picture absolutely stunning to this day. I just wish I had bought a larger set! I can't believe how the prices for sets have fallen. I can get a nice Panny 60" plasma for less that what I bought my 42" for a few years ago.

I also have a Sony XBR LCD and while it's a nice set it doesn't come close to the Kuro. I have a problem with the lack of motion control on LCD's, but at the same time I'm prone to seeing yellow streaking on my Plasma. Sucks to be me...
-----Street price is much much less, and they have the 65" version too in that exceptionally good value model.

=> Panasonic TC-P55ST50 Plasma 3D HDTV | Home Theater

And Sharp has just released a 90" LED LCD HDTV set.

=> http://www.hometheater.com/content/s...ed-hits-stores

Last edited by LordoftheRingsEE; 06-20-2012 at 05:38 PM.