AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:06 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
JBT.......I use the Sonos ZP90 digital output to the digital input on my MCD500, which reclocks the signal as part of the decoding process. No mod is necessary for very good sound, considering the source is low to medium bit rate streaming off the Internet. Modding the ZP90 won't improve the bit rate of streaming input data.
Dan, here's what I was told. Cullen rebuilds the entire output stage on the Sonos which turns it into a 4 thousand dollar transport if you're running it through a good DAC. Right now I'm using an Audio Research DAC 7 which is one of the better DACs on the market right now. I'm far from an expert, but my Dealer says it does make a noticeable difference.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:00 PM
Merry Christmas to all

JBT.......I must be missing something here. The ZP90 has digital output, and analog output which is decoded by it's internal DAC. If all the ZP90 is doing is streaming from the Internet, and only being used with its digital output to an external DAC that reclocks the digital output from the ZP90, what benefit is a rebuild of the output stage? There is no way to improve the bit rate of the streaming signal from Rhapsody or Pandora, so how is Cullen turning a sows ear into a silk purse? NOTE: The sows ear to silk purse is used just as a metaphor, and in no way am I disrespecting the Sonos ZP90. It is an excellent product.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 06-26-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:24 AM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
Play it through your MDA1000 and your done.
+1 for me too. Sonos through MDA1000 is my main source these days. My MCD201 is used very rarely - usually to make sure that it's still working and does not die of complete neglect.

I control the Sonos with a semi-dedicated iPad.

Alberto
Old 06-28-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
JBT.......I must be missing something here. The ZP90 has digital output, and analog output which is decoded by it's internal DAC. If all the ZP90 is doing is streaming from the Internet, and only being used with its digital output to an external DAC that reclocks the digital output from the ZP90, what benefit is a rebuild of the output stage? There is no way to improve the bit rate of the streaming signal from Rhapsody or Pandora, so how is Cullen turning a sows ear into a silk purse? NOTE: The sows ear to silk purse is used just as a metaphor, and in no way am I disrespecting the Sonos ZP90. It is an excellent product.
Hey faulty source in and nirvana output!! Ahhhh come'on drink the kool-aid!!
Sonus Faber Cremona, (2) JL Audio F110 subs, Squeeze Server v7.9 Windows 2012 Server 25TB, Audio Metallurgy GA-0 XLR & RCA, Wireworld Silver Eclipse speaker cable, PS Audio Power Plant Premier (2), WireWorld Silver Power Cables, Tascam DA3000
Old 06-29-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:

I don't think anybody would pay $540 to upgrade their ZP90 to improve the digital signal of streaming mp3s. That certainly is not the driving force for this 'tweak'. I would think only those streaming lossless files off a remote hard drive could possibly benefit from such an upgrade. The ins and outs of digital clocks are out of my expertise to say the least but as with all things audio, all clocks will not be created equally. If the cleaning up the signal by reclocking at the sonos level makes the job of the MCD500 that much easier then I could see the benefit. It's analogous to the power plant premier - better quality power out of the wall (dedicated line, Soloist, power cord) makes the job of the PPP easier to carry out - and we can hear it - despite fact that PPP 'reclocks' the power to DC then back to AC. I would love to hear for myself or read a shootout between a stock and modded unit.

Jason

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 06-29-2010, 05:22 AM

Quote:
JBT............ If all the ZP90 is doing is streaming from the Internet, and only being used with its digital output to an external DAC that reclocks the digital output from the ZP90, what benefit is a rebuild of the output stage?
+1
Old 06-29-2010, 02:13 PM

Don't FIGHT IT!!! You know you wanna take swig!!! Look even Steve likes it!!!

http://izanbardprince.files.wordpres...e_koolaid2.jpg
Sonus Faber Cremona, (2) JL Audio F110 subs, Squeeze Server v7.9 Windows 2012 Server 25TB, Audio Metallurgy GA-0 XLR & RCA, Wireworld Silver Eclipse speaker cable, PS Audio Power Plant Premier (2), WireWorld Silver Power Cables, Tascam DA3000
Old 07-04-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
Dan, here's what I was told. Cullen rebuilds the entire output stage on the Sonos which turns it into a 4 thousand dollar transport if you're running it through a good DAC. Right now I'm using an Audio Research DAC 7 which is one of the better DACs on the market right now. I'm far from an expert, but my Dealer says it does make a noticeable difference.
Time to trade the DAC7 for a DAC8. It has a large buffer, two DAC chips for each channel and two clocks. One clock does 44.1, 88.2 and 176.4 kHz. The second clock handles 48, 96 and 192 kHz. Having owned both the DAC7 and now the DAC8 I can say that the DAC8 is vastly better at dramatically reducing jitter from any source, whether it be SONOS or hi-res files from your computer via the USB input. I thought hi-res through the DAC7 was crap. Hi-res through the DAC8 is amazing. The SONOS also sounds better.

My guess is the DAC8 would be a better all around investment than upgrading a SONOS.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroSmith View Post
Time to trade the DAC7 for a DAC8. It has a large buffer, two DAC chips for each channel and two clocks. One clock does 44.1, 88.2 and 176.4 kHz. The second clock handles 48, 96 and 192 kHz. Having owned both the DAC7 and now the DAC8 I can say that the DAC8 is vastly better at dramatically reducing jitter from any source, whether it be SONOS or hi-res files from your computer via the USB input. I thought hi-res through the DAC7 was crap. Hi-res through the DAC8 is amazing. The SONOS also sounds better.

My guess is the DAC8 would be a better all around investment than upgrading a SONOS.
AeroSmith,

Do you have enough time on that ARC DAC8 that you could start a new thread and give us your impressions and maybe a picture or two? I have been having a hard time trying to find information on it.

Thanks,

~Mike