AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:51 PM

Default Help with Itunes, C2200, Mc275

Hoping I can get some help. Have a beautiful Classe based HT system (SSP 800, CA 5200, Apple TV) in my basement. Looking to potentially put together my first Tube based McIntosh system for my office. I have loaded a lot of cd's into Itunes and want to take advantage of this. Very easy to do with my Apple TV and the SSP 800. Have that fully functioning and love the sound! Not sure how to tap into this for my proposed office system.

Given my desire to use a C2200 as my pre and a MC275 as my amp, what is the best way to get all my itunes into the system? What additional equipment do I need to buy and what type of connections do I need to make? Appreciate help with such a basic question, but I'm learning! Unfortunately, none of my close friends share the passion of high-end audio with me...
Old 07-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Listener in Training

Check out Sonos as a means to wirelessly access your iTunes. A number of AA guys have it and can answer specific questions.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 07-04-2010, 03:24 PM

+1 on SONOS
Old 07-05-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiham View Post
Hoping I can get some help. Have a beautiful Classe based HT system (SSP 800, CA 5200, Apple TV) in my basement. Looking to potentially put together my first Tube based McIntosh system for my office. I have loaded a lot of cd's into Itunes and want to take advantage of this. Very easy to do with my Apple TV and the SSP 800. Have that fully functioning and love the sound! Not sure how to tap into this for my proposed office system.

Given my desire to use a C2200 as my pre and a MC275 as my amp, what is the best way to get all my itunes into the system? What additional equipment do I need to buy and what type of connections do I need to make? Appreciate help with such a basic question, but I'm learning! Unfortunately, none of my close friends share the passion of high-end audio with me...
Appreciate the suggestions on Sonos! If I don't go the Sonos route, would the below work?

If I wanted to use my Mac Mini in the system, would I need to get a DAC? If so, would I run the Mac Mini to the DAC and then the DAC to the C2200?

Any suggestions on a DAC?

Thanks! Appreciate the patience as I try to learn my way around here! I'm coming from the world of Pioneer and Denon where connectivity was simple but so was the sound...
Old 07-05-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiham View Post
Appreciate the suggestions on Sonos! If I don't go the Sonos route, would the below work?

If I wanted to use my Mac Mini in the system, would I need to get a DAC? If so, would I run the Mac Mini to the DAC and then the DAC to the C2200?

Any suggestions on a DAC?

Thanks! Appreciate the patience as I try to learn my way around here! I'm coming from the world of Pioneer and Denon where connectivity was simple but so was the sound...
Yes, that it is how you would connect it. Your GUI would be iTunes if that is how you set it up.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:13 AM

I'm using an M2Tech USB interface (see link below) out of my Mac Mini connected via a Bnc cable to my ARC DAC7 and then into my C2200. Works like a champ.

6moons.com audio reviews: M2Tech hiFace
Old 07-06-2010, 03:42 PM

Mutliham, like you I have a similar setup in my theater with the SSP800 doing the D/A and luv it.

I just ordered the Olive 4HD to try out, it has a built in D/A and a touchscreen, plus a nice app for Ipad/Itouch to control it. Also includes built in wifi/ethernet. If you ship them an oold CD player they will cut the price to $2000.

Good luck!
Old 07-06-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck View Post
Mutliham, like you I have a similar setup in my theater with the SSP800 doing the D/A and luv it.

I just ordered the Olive 4HD to try out, it has a built in D/A and a touchscreen, plus a nice app for Ipad/Itouch to control it. Also includes built in wifi/ethernet. If you ship them an oold CD player they will cut the price to $2000.

Good luck!
The Ipod/iTunes app is kind of funky to use and I sometimes had a hard time regaining control of the touchscreen or web app. Ninety percent of the time I use the remote and monitor to operate the system, the balance of the time is the web-interface. The web interface (Maestro) is the only viable way to edit and add missing album art.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck View Post

Good luck!
Thanks! Am I correct in that the Olive 4HD does not allow you to connect to the music you currently have stored on your hard drive? Looks like a fabulous unit, but I just spent weeks loading all my cd's into itunes. Don't think I want to do that again!

Steve
Old 07-12-2010, 01:54 AM

It is supposed to be able to access any music on the network, so i think it will pick up your itunes fine as long as you have it on sharing. I will have to see once I get mine...