AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PS Audio

PS Audio Delivering the experience since 1974

Old 11-10-2018, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post
A hallmark of the Snowmass update is Teds custom coded upsampling algorithm that replaces the stock Xilinx upsampling algorithm.

"Yes, until now I’d been using the stock upsampler/downsampler that Xilinx provides. It’s a pretty nice piece of software and does most things very well. Still I wanted better control of when things happened and since I know far more about what my filtering needs are than it does, I can save some work in places and do more in others to get a better result. To be clear we’d get the same mathematical answers with the same filters and inputs, but I’m doing some things their software wouldn’t handle."

Ron

Thanks Ron, curious what are you doing that the Xilinx cannot do?
Old 11-10-2018, 12:09 PM

Paul stated - "Alright, we’ve gotten the bugs worked out of the PIC, FPGA 19 version of Snowmass is wooing us with its sweetness and openness and, well, I won’t wax too much here.
Suffice it to say this is the single biggest upgrade to DirectStream in the 5 year history of the product."

This FREE upgrade is expected to be released on Monday.

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 11-10-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post
Paul stated - "Alright, we’ve gotten the bugs worked out of the PIC, FPGA 19 version of Snowmass is wooing us with its sweetness and openness and, well, I won’t wax too much here.
Suffice it to say this is the single biggest upgrade to DirectStream in the 5 year history of the product."

This FREE upgrade is expected to be released on Monday.

Ron
Hi Ron,
I took advantage of the great promo Ivan has on the PS Direct Stream with Bridge II so ordered it last night. Can’t wait to have it my system and listen to it.
I notice you also have the DS and Oppo 205, and the MC preamp/surround processor. Can you share how you connect these to optimize for music (2 / multi channels through the Oppo, or streaming) and for movies?
Thanks.
Amps: Mc611s; Bryston 9BST Speakers: B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, B&W SCMs, 2x REL Carbon Special + Analysis Plus REL SpeakOn cable; Pre-Amp: C2700; Processor: Marantz 8805A Sources: Aurender N20; PSA Directstream DAC; JVC RS2000; Stewart Screen Cabaret with StudioTek 130 G4; Oppo UDP-205; Power & Cables: Taralabs bi-wire; WW XLR Silver Eclipse 8; WW Silver Starlight 7 Coax; Denali 6000T, Shunyata Alpha, Delta and Venom.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn2803 View Post
Hi Ron,
I took advantage of the great promo Ivan has on the PS Direct Stream with Bridge II so ordered it last night. Can’t wait to have it my system and listen to it.
I notice you also have the DS and Oppo 205, and the MC preamp/surround processor. Can you share how you connect these to optimize for music (2 / multi channels through the Oppo, or streaming) and for movies?
Thanks.
I only use the Oppo 205 for Blu-rays and DVDs connected with HDMI>McIntosh MX150. Movies sound spectacular with the McIntosh RoomPerfect enabled. I decided not to utilize any analog connections on the Oppo for simplicity sake.

Streaming of movies via the SmartTV app on my LG Oled>toslink>MX150. Also streaming Fire TV 4K Ultra HD>HDMI>HDfury Vertex and splits HDMI to TV and MX150.

Since the DirectStream w/BridgeII is so good I only use that for streaming music via HP AIO computer>Music on HD>Roon>Roon iPhone app>Wi-Fi>router>ethernet>BridgeII>DirectStream>XLR>MX150 .

Vinyl>turntable>phono preamp>XLR>MX150

Previously I had an separate preamp for music but had a hard time getting the sub to sound good, so I never used a sub for music. Since I got the MX150 with RoomPerfect, sub implementation is simple and sounded better than a separate preamp without a sub.

My system sounds the best it ever has..........so I am happy.

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 11-10-2018, 04:50 PM

Thanks Ron. Looks like a great set up for music and movies.
Amps: Mc611s; Bryston 9BST Speakers: B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, B&W SCMs, 2x REL Carbon Special + Analysis Plus REL SpeakOn cable; Pre-Amp: C2700; Processor: Marantz 8805A Sources: Aurender N20; PSA Directstream DAC; JVC RS2000; Stewart Screen Cabaret with StudioTek 130 G4; Oppo UDP-205; Power & Cables: Taralabs bi-wire; WW XLR Silver Eclipse 8; WW Silver Starlight 7 Coax; Denali 6000T, Shunyata Alpha, Delta and Venom.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps7256 View Post
I am curious about true Playback of what is actually on an SACD. Paul McGowan indicates that we really do not hear the musical layers of what is actually on an SACD unless there is a unique proprietary connection that does not contravene Sony Philips Digital Interface protocol, thus with PS Audio’s Direct Stream DAC there is the connection they use called ( I squared S Input) and for McIntosh it is the DIN connection. I understand from Paul’s comments that regular SPDIF, (Toslink) and AC3 (Coaxial) interconnects do not send the layers of information on an SACD that are supposed to be rendered on a typical SACD player to a Preamplifier...Or...? What am I missing or not understanding.

Paul has a habit of stretching the truth.

But SACD players - even fairly affordable ones have always had a way of sending copy protected DSD bitstream across an external interconnect to a stand-alone DAC.

On the entry level stuff - Sony has the iLink (basically FireWire) which supports encryption between their SACD transports/players to a compatible amplifier/DAC. Pioneer used the same FireWire but branded it differently.

Denon used DenonLink which transmitted it over a shielded RJ45 cable.

On more esoteric gear, Esoteric transports always had their own proprietary connections. EMM Labs And Playback use an ST fiber cable - but labeled them differently to do the same thing.

McIntosh had a similar system too.

This all happened way before the DirectStream Memory Transport was released. And Paul seemed to be unaware of it.

To be fair these proprietary systems were ways to get around the copy protection requirements on SACD.

These days there are ways to encapsulate DSD inside a PCM stream (called DOP) which allows us to send DSD over coax AES optical to compatible DACs. The difference is that the DSD files aren’t copy protected.

So for a while I was using a LUMIN to send DSD over coax to my PS Audio DirectStream DAC. I believe the new iFi Pro iDSD will support DOP on its coax inputs as well.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:47 AM

Thanks Doggiehowser, just saw the iFi Pro iDSD on Amazon, fairly reasonable price and great specs.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post
Paul has a habit of stretching the truth.
His new book is titled 99% True...how much the 99% has been stretched I don't know.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:03 AM

Snowmass firmware download is now live from their website...............

Ron
Old 11-12-2018, 12:03 AM

Nice, TY
Power Distribution: Shunyata Denali
Amps: McIntosh MC2301
Pre-Amp: McIntosh C1100
Tubes: Genalex Gold Lions
Digital: PS Audio DirectStream Junior: Roon Ready
Signal Cables: WireWorld XLR's
Speakers: Canton Reference K3's
Speaker cables: WW Silver Eclipse 7
Analog: Dr. Feickert Woodpecker+Kuzma 4-point+Miyajima ETR-MONO SUT & Miyajima Infinity (Mono) // Hana Umami (Stereo)
Tweaks: Shakti Stones, GIK Panels, IsoAcoustics Feet