AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PS Audio

PS Audio Delivering the experience since 1974

Old 07-12-2018, 08:52 PM

Default BHK Pre and BHK300

Hi all,

I am seriously considering moving on from my long owned and faithful McIntosh C2200 and MC501 amps and upgrading to the BHK Pre and BHK 300 amps. I also may go all in and get the new Power Plant P15 regenerator. I have a PS DirectStream DAC and it is superb. I use Raidho D1 speakers with a pair of JL f113 subs and the JL CR-1 crossover.

My current system sounds wonderful but I’m ready to move up to the next level. I’ve become a huge Paul fan and I think both the engineering and service at his company are outstanding.

Are there forum members that have switched from McIntosh to PS? How would you compare them? Any feedback from BHK owners on your experience? Anyone hear PS with Raidho speakers?

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2018, 09:13 PM

I moved to the direct stream dac and direct streammemory player from accuphase 900 and 901 and am glad every day that I did. Better service, better sound, and much lower prices.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:17 PM

Ever consider the BHK amps?

BTW, I love TAD CR-1s (Andrew Jones is awesome) and that’s a terrific kitchen system!
Old 07-12-2018, 10:31 PM

I haven’t been able to give up the accuphase a-200s for anything as of yet. There are many great amps out there, but I’m holding tight with those right now.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:35 PM

I know the feeling!
Old 07-13-2018, 08:12 PM

I pulled the trigger and ordered the amps and a P15 Power Plant. I am so psyched!
Old 07-13-2018, 08:17 PM

Enjoy. On top of the great equipment, I enjoy working with the company. Paul is opinionated, but at least he’s willing to say something and put himself on the line a bit.

Great $$ to value ratio too.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:45 AM

I recently upgraded my P10 to a P15 and immediately noticed better bass, improved detail from my DirectStream and Brooklyn DACs and more musicality.

I too enjoy a McIntosh preamp and power amp, but they have such synergy with my Focal speakers, no thoughts on changing those. But if I did, those PS Audio BHK units would be at the top of my list.
McIntosh C2500 pre amp, MC452 power amp, Autonomic MMS-5A server, PS Audio P15 power plant, DirectStream DAC, DirectStream CD transport, Focal Sopra No2 speakers, JL Audio F113V2 sub woofers (2), Sennheiser HD800 headphones, Dell laptop iTunes/Tidal/Roon, Wireworld cabling
Old 07-15-2018, 03:51 AM

Default BHK Pre and BHK300

The only thing that stopped me from auditioning the BHK mono-blocks was their size and also they were too heavy for me to move around in my listening room due to my severe back problems. However if not for those issues , the BHK mono-blocks would have certainly been on my shortlist due to the power requirements needed to drive my current speakers effortlessly. That being said, I am very happy with my present mono-blocks.

As for the BHK preamp, it would have also been on my shortlist if I already didn’t own a great sounding preamp.

I do own the DirectStream/DMP combo and find them excellent sounding products. Sonically, the DS is on par with my other DAC. Both are great products in their price range, IMO.

I find that PS Audio is absolute tops in customer service as I have personally experienced over the years since the release of their Ultralink DAC which I owned back in the day.

If you are in the market for an upgrade, any of the PS Audio amps, preamps, or digital gear should be on your shortlist if they are in your price range. As you know, PS Audio also has a 30 day money back return policy.

Last edited by RLF; 07-15-2018 at 03:53 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:37 AM

There’s a white glove service for BHK in the US.

FWIW my other amps like the Electrocompaniet Nemos or the Plinius SA Reference are in the same ballpark weight wise. And the one I covet - the Dan D’Agastino is worse