AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Aerial Acoustics

Aerial Acoustics Exceptional Performance

Old 10-01-2013, 03:04 PM

Default Auditioning Speakers - Aerial Acoustic 7T's

*** ALERT ALERT ALERT *** This is gonna be long.

I recently spent some time auditioning speakers. I listened to quite a few pairs, such as the Totem Acoustics Earth A speakers, some Paradigm Tribute Anniversary series units, the Aerial Acoustics 7T's, the B&W Diamond series speakers (800d, 803d & 805d), some Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grand (I passed on the Klimt "The Music" pair - can't afford them anyway so no reason to listen to unobtanium!) and a pair of Golden Ear Triton Two's.

I took CD sources with me plus let the store personnel use some of their demo tracks. At one store they fired up the TT and played Dire Straits' "Brothers In Arms" album so I was listening to music I knew very well. We also listened to my CD material.

So...on to the auditions. My first listen was the B&W Diamonds, specifically the 800d's. This was my first audition of speakers in quite some time, since early in 2005 when I had purchased a pair of Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands. Not knowing what a pair of the 800d's cost, I had no idea that I was listening to something I could not afford.

However, I was certainly intrigued by what I was hearing. To re-use an old cliche`, I heard things in music I am intimately familiar with that I hadn't heard before. Honest...Cross My Chest and Hope To Die... However, seeing the price of these soured me a bit and whether or not that had an impact, the balance of the B&W line I listened to that day were disappointing in comparison.

I liked the VA Beethoven pair. Visually stunning with a very open, wide soundstage and good definition. Didn't quite have the definition or depth and width of soundstage that the Diamonds have (sometimes heard two voices when it should have been one on EmmyLou Harris's "Tulsa Queen") but they would definitely be an improvement over my Mozarts.

The Golden Ear Triton Two's would come in a distant third compared to the Diamonds, to my ear, even quite a distance from the Vienna pair. They sounded constrained, slightly hollow and a bit harsh to my ears. They may have been a new pair put out on the floor recently but I was soon tired of hearing them.

If I were to pick a pair, cost dependent, from this listening session it would be the B&W 803d's. With some time to get over how their big brothers sounded, I would be happy. I should give them another chance before I make my final selection.

Moving on to my second audition session.

We started with the Paradigm's. They have fairly well defined voices and instruments in the tweeter and mid-woofer range. They did carry a very tight and low bass line which impressed me. It was not boomy and it complimented rather than overwhelmed the tweets and mids. However, once again I was not enveloped by the sound. The speakers never disappeared from the room, even when I closed my eyes. Whatever I was hearing may have been a placement issue or the room acoustics but they just didn't "WOW" me. Another issue that bugged me was their jarring appearance. The black case is not really back but a very very dark cherry that is very hard to see. Coupled with chrome accents, I felt I was looking at a speaker case that had been designed by a Raider's football jersey aficionado! Sorry...that is only my personal opinion but it wasn't to my taste.

Next up were the Totem Acoustic Earth A's. Speak of jarring appearance! Another Raider's fan perhaps? They make better looking speakers and the Earth A's look a lot better with their grills on. Listening to them was pleasurable. Their depth of soundfield was much better than the Paradigm units but the tweeters sounded harsh to me, even at moderate listening levels. I was advised that they were relatively new and had not been on display very long which may have contributed to that.

Some would say that much ado about nothing is made regarding "breaking in" speakers and that they should sound good to you right out of the box. My experience says otherwise, however, I would admit that I cannot say that about all speakers ever made.

And so, on to the Aerial Acoustics 7T speakers. Before I dive into my impressions of these speakers I would like to pass along some tidbits of information I gleaned about Aerial Acoustics and Michael Kelly, the owner/founder of the firm.

Mr. Kelly has been involved with speaker and cabinet design for many years. He worked at ADS for quite some time when ADS was producing their highly acclaimed L series, 1200 and 1500 series speakers. In fact I own a pair of L880/2's and a pair of L700's. I am the one and only, original, owner of the L880's and the second owner of the L700's. The 880's are being used in my 2.1 channel system (McIntosh tuner & pre-amp, new tech DAC & amps) and I have enjoyed them for years. The L700's are on loan but I fear I may never get them back. The youngest daughter has them and I've been unable to pry her fingers off of them. So, whether I realized it or not, I am familiar with Mr. Kelly's work.

Aerial Acoustics is one of those small firms that does not turn out a new speaker model every year or two. They have 4 models of floor standing speakers available at the moment The 20T's, the 9's, the 6's and the 7T's. they also make a line of center channel, stand supported and subs. In my view, this describes a certain amount of perfectionism and unwillingness to compromise on design and materials, regardless of how long it takes to release a new model.

Typically we all go to the interwebs to find reviews by owners, industry insiders and professional reviewers on products we are considering to purchase. I, like many, tend to take each review with a grain of salt, especially the trade publication reviews. While it may be denied vehemently, I cannot shake the belief that some of these reviews are colored by potential of compensation in one form or another. I know...what a skeptic I am, eh? I have it on good authority, from people I trust, that no such compensation is made by Aerial Acoustics for reviews.

In the case of Aerial Acoustic speakers, and the 7T's specifically, everyone simply gushes when discussing or reviewing these speakers. This is consistent with forum reviews, showplace reviews, independent reviews and reviews provided by owners. I was astonished to not find one comment that was less than extremely complimentary about the product. Now that's a rare event, IMHO.

Lastly, I would point out that when I called Aerial Acoustics to answer my questions on their product, Mr. Kelly himself answered the phone. I would say in hindsight that I should not have been surprised based on what I now know but initially I was as this is a bit outside my experience. I found Mr. Kelly to be more than gracious with his time. He answered my questions and provided interesting insight into his business model and speaker design philosophy.

In our discussions we found we know some of the same people. He also chuckled when I told him I have two pairs of ADS speakers. Lastly, our common ground is a shared first name. All in all, regardless of the value some would place on that sort of thing, I felt very comfortable in knowing that a guy who is this passionate with respects to his craft and cares that much about his products is on the other end of my purchase decision.

Now, finally, on to the 7T's. In a word... !!!WOW!!!

Where do I start with this review??? I fear I do not have the words to describe what I heard and felt during this listening session. I'll give it a try, though...

Open, warm, clear, defined, a breadth and depth of sound I had not heard from a pair of speakers before. I've stood in the middle of an 80+ voice, well trained, acappella choir. I have sat in recording studios playing rhythym guitar with accomplished musicians. I have played guitar in raunchy roadside bars and eateries. I've listened to high end systems. I can honestly say I've never heard such sonic expanse in all those experiences.

I was immediately immersed in sound that almost had a holographic effect, coming at me as if I was center stage at a live performance or sitting in the front row in a studio as the entire band played that last track for the recording as a group. The room, the gear, the speakers and all else disappeared as the music played.

Whatever the reason, nothing else I have auditioned nor anything else I could audition (even at twice the price of the 7t's) has or will come close to what I heard.

So with that, I will say thank you to those who have read this entire review and have put up with my ramblings today. I'll leave you all to your own audio amusements and wish you the best as you continue to pursue audio nirvana.

Last edited by Yamaki; 10-01-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:07 PM

Michael,

Thanks for the review. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your listening experience with the 7T's. M. Kelly makes some remarkable speakers and until you have heard them in person it is hard to explain how great they sound.

So I am gathering that you are not in the market for a new pair, you were just out comparing speakers?

Cheers,
Old 10-01-2013, 05:15 PM

Jim,

I am, in fact, in the market.

The reason I began this audition process is because my current front mains just aren't doing it for me anymore. As a long time friend and audio shop owner said to me a couple of weekends ago when I complained bitterly about my dissatisfaction over what I was hearing despite my legion of upgrades; I must finally be learning how to listen.

I responded with, since he listens at high levels, "Are you deaf yet???"
Old 10-01-2013, 05:27 PM

Great read! I look forward to auditioning these one day, along with a few other candidates on my list. It sounds like they set the bar quite high!

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 10-01-2013, 05:32 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Michael... Super review, thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

I am quite smitten with my 7T's but you already know that. My 20T's are in the same room for when I really want to turn up the goose bumps.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 10-01-2013, 05:51 PM

Ivan...Thank you for introducing me to Aerial Acoustics and for your help!
Old 10-01-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaki View Post
Ivan...Thank you for introducing me to Aerial Acoustics and for your help!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 10-01-2013, 07:19 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Michael.......So when do the Aerial 7T's arrive?

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 10-01-2013, 08:27 PM

I believe next Tuesday.

CAPE COD

Old 10-01-2013, 09:09 PM

Stop teasing me you two...