AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Member System Forum

Member System Forum System Pictures and Descriptions

Old 05-01-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_david View Post
Superb setup. Beautiful room. Period.
Hello vinod_david,

Thank you so much for the kind words. I had a lot of help from my wife and must say that it is one of my favorite places in our home to just unwind and relax.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Mac + Ayre + Vivid + Stax

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Regrets View Post
I'm sorry, I don't know why it wouldn't show on your iPad. I just check on my iPhone and it shows there. I must apologize as I can be quite technically challenged when it comes to these things.

I can see by your signature that you are quite a music lover! Usually I see people listing their equipment, but you've listed you music! A nice and varied selection...very cool!
I'm sure it's not your fault that the pictures are not showing. Probably something with the iPad app.

In the mean time I've used the browser instead of the app and I've seen the pictures. Looks great. I guess is a comfortable cosy room to enjoy music.

Thanks for the kind words on my signature.
ACDC - Back in Black. Adele - 19. Bryan Adams - Bare Bones. Diana Krall - Live in Paris; When I Look in Your Eyes. Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms. Don Williams - Borrowed Tales. FleetwoodMac - Tango in the Night. Frank Sinatra - At the Sands. Genesis - A Trick of the Tail. Gipsy Kings - Love Songs. Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark. Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert. Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear. Marta Gómez - Entre Cada Palabra. Metallica - Metallica. Michael Jackson - Thriller. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue. The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed. Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder; Wish You Were Here. Rodrigo Y Gabriela - Live in Japan. U2 - Rattle and Hum.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:37 PM

Great speakers. Dunlavy V or VI ?

By the way, what's happened to the Dunlavy brand ?

Best regards,
RM
Old 05-01-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbre View Post
Great speakers. Dunlavy V or VI ?

By the way, what's happened to the Dunlavy brand ?

Best regards,
RM
Hi Timbre,

Actually they are the Dunlavy SCIV's. I loved hearing the the V's in the dealer's showroom, but they would have been too big for my room and according to John Dunlavy when I consulted him, he said the IV's would outperform the V's in "my" room due to the size.

Unfortunately, I believe in late 2002 the business folded...less than a year after John and his wife Joan sold the business. The reason for it's demise I do not know as they were highly thought of speakers and were used in many recording studios, not just in people's homes.

I fell in love with the sound of these speakers before Stereophile ever started covering them in their magazine...but it took me almost two years to save enough for me to buy them. They are still much loved by me to this very day.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:42 PM

Dunlavy V or VI ...

Enjoy in health.

RM
Old 05-01-2013, 08:48 PM

Very fine system for magic music reproduction.
Ciao, Enzo
Old 05-01-2013, 10:00 PM

Thank you Enzo for the very kind words. I love your avatar by the way. Looks like a very precious pal you have there!
Old 05-02-2013, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Regrets View Post
Needless to say that at 180lb's, once I found their perfect place in my room, they have stayed their ever since. Thankfully I love them as much as I do, because I'd hate to have to ever pack them up and ship them off.
I'm on my second pair of SCIVs. IME, they're fairly easy to move around, once you get proficient in the "Dunlavy Dance."

In essence, you grab the speaker (grill removed) around its mid section and walk it into its desired spot, tilting it slightly from one side to the next, as to shift its center of gravity. It's mostly a matter of balance. Now, my old SCVs (at ~280lbs a pop) took a little doing, but, still, they could be moved by one person using the same methodology.

FWIW, Dunlavy shipped the speakers with carpet/floor slides. Equipped as such makes positioning significantly easier.

The SCIVs I have now are oak, like yours. And, like you, I plan on staying with them. Nice to see another Dunlavy owner.

Last edited by Shaffer; 05-02-2013 at 12:21 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaffer View Post
I'm on my second pair of SCIVs. IME, they're fairly easy to move around, once you get proficient in the "Dunlavy Dance."

In essence, you grab the speaker (grill removed) around its mid section and walk it into its desired spot, tilting it slightly from one side to the next, as to shift its center of gravity. It's mostly a matter of balance. Now, my old SCVs (at ~280lbs a pop) took a little doing, but, still, they could be moved by one person using the same methodology.

FWIW, Dunlavy shipped the speakers with carpet/floor slides. Equipped as such makes positioning significantly easier.

The SCIVs I have now are oak, like yours. And, like you, I plan on staying with them. Nice to see another Dunlavy owner.
Hi Felix,

Yes, the manner in which you described moving the Dunlavys are exactly how I did it. It's really not that difficult, but I'm glad that I never had to move them from the that they are in to a different one. In fact, once I found their perfect placement in my listening room, I have never moved them.

The most difficult thing for me was is in their initial set up, mounting their bases and getting them upright. I don't know how only one person could do it. Thankfully, the truck driver who delivered them to me was so interested in them, that he not only helped me get them into the house, but also helped me assemble them and set them up in my listening room! What a great guy he was.

I'm jealous of you.....I loved the V's, but sadly I don't have a large enough room (or should I say, my wife won't allow me to use any of our rooms that are large enough) to do them justice.

I agree, it is nice to know another Dunlavy owner. I wonder if maybe there are more of us here?
Old 05-06-2013, 10:57 AM

Very elegant looking system you have there.