AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Member System Forum

Member System Forum System Pictures and Descriptions

Old 04-30-2013, 11:20 PM

Looks great! What is the additional platform below the LP12? I've heard mixed things about adding additional isolation to suspended decks. I just got a TD-125 so I'm curious what your experience is.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesuvius View Post
Screw the TT, bring on more Duntech/Dunlavy! God, I loved those speakers back in the day.

Someone had a set of the "small"..."bookshelf"..."tabletop" (SCII/a I think) speakers for dirt cheap awhile back and I was stupid not to drive and pick them up (they would have been great for my office system).
Hey Vesuvius,

Love your avatar, by the way!

I'm sure most of us have kicked ourselves for missing out on various opportunities over the years. I know I have!

There have been several very talented speaker designers over the years, and I consider Mr. John Dunlavy of Duntech/Dunlavy fame as one of them. It's fun to go out and hear many of the other great speakers that are out there too. In March, I was able to spend three days at the AXPONA Show in Chicagoland and was able to hear quite a few of "today's" offerings. There is some great stuff out there to be had.....that's for sure!
Old 04-30-2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks View Post
Looks great! What is the additional platform below the LP12? I've heard mixed things about adding additional isolation to suspended decks. I just got a TD-125 so I'm curious what your experience is.
Hi Maks,

Great question! LP12's do best on a light, but rigid platform. They do not like to be on a heavy mass type of platform.

So, my house is very old.....hardwood, suspended floors. There are times, my music inspires my wife and I to get up and dance and that in combination with the flexing of the suspended, hardwood floors would tend to make my stylus also want to dance.

So I built (as an experiment) a home brew turntable wall shelf. [IMG][/IMG]

I lagged bolted two 2x2 pieces of wood into the studs of my load bearing wall. Then screwed a slotted shelf mounting strip to each of the 2x2's. (you should be able to just barely see these in the far right of the photo extending down behind my preamp). I inserted two metal hangers into the slots and placed a very sturdy, but lightweight rectangle piece of wood onto the hangers which are decoupled by rubber grommets. I drilled three wood screws up through the bottom of this piece of wood so that the points of the wood screws are sticking up above the surface by about a 1/2 inch. I thin placed the second sturdy, but again lightweight piece of rectangle wood upon the tips of the wood screws that are coming up through the bottom piece, thereby decoupling the top shelf from the bottom shelf (you can also adjust these screws to make the shelf perfectly level too-very important for turntables). The bottom shelf is decoupled from the wall, and the wall is decouple from the sprung, hardwood floors. (and I tried to make it look like it is still all part of the rest of the system that is sitting on my antique side board). My wife and I can literally jump up and down now while spinning the vinyl and the stylus does not skip a beat at all. I know it's not the prettiest and is kind of crude....but it works extremely well and I've grown accustomed to it now.

This may have been more than you wanted to know, but it may be a fun experiment for someone reading it. I hope it helps.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:36 AM

Nice physics in the turntable shelf design.You may get quite a few enquiries about that shelf-particularly from Linnies.
Well done.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Under View Post
Nice physics in the turntable shelf design.You may get quite a few enquiries about that shelf-particularly from Linnies.
Well done.
Thank you for the nice words, Down Under. Considering the very minimal investment in parts, I figured it was well worth my time to at least give it a try.

By the way, I like your signature.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Regrets View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Great turntable!

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:06 AM
Mac + Ayre + Vivid + Stax

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Regrets View Post
[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]
In the iPad app the first post doesn't show. It's totally blank.
ACDC - Back in Black. Adele - 19. Bryan Adams - Bare Bones. Diana Krall - Live in Paris; When I Look in Your Eyes. Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms. Don Williams - Borrowed Tales. FleetwoodMac - Tango in the Night. Frank Sinatra - At the Sands. Genesis - A Trick of the Tail. Gipsy Kings - Love Songs. Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark. Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert. Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear. Marta Gómez - Entre Cada Palabra. Metallica - Metallica. Michael Jackson - Thriller. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue. The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed. Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder; Wish You Were Here. Rodrigo Y Gabriela - Live in Japan. U2 - Rattle and Hum.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:20 AM

Superb setup. Beautiful room. Period.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:07 AM

Thanks Robert! It appears you have quite a bit of great gear amongst your two systems too! Happy listening.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugal View Post
In the iPad app the first post doesn't show. It's totally blank.
I'm sorry, I don't know why it wouldn't show on your iPad. I just check on my iPhone and it shows there. I must apologize as I can be quite technically challenged when it comes to these things.

I can see by your signature that you are quite a music lover! Usually I see people listing their equipment, but you've listed you music! A nice and varied selection...very cool!