AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Photography

Photography Digital & Film Buffs here

Old 09-01-2012, 10:47 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Jérôme,
Many thanks...no, I didn't Photoshop them; some global adjustments in Ligthroom to the histogram (exposure, midtones, highlights, and black point), and some small moves with the Clarity and Vibrance tool. Took the noise level down a bit on the Michell shot. Nothing major in adjustements or shifts, though.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:11 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Some more pics from the sweet little Fuji X10...these were taken up my up to and at my sister's place in Paradise, CA for the Labor Day Holiday (Butte County, CA).

Peaches at the local fruit stand...

Tomatoes...mmmm! (real ones, not those fake red ones at the grocery store that are actually green tomatoes reddened with ethylene oxide)

Homegrown honey...

Homegrown olives...

Lots of good fruit and veg...

A totem pole my sister painted (she does "American Primitive" crafts)

View from the buttes near Paradise...

Old trucks along Honey Run Road...

Wooden covered bridge at Honey Run Road, dates from 1894...

More Buttes....

Flowers in my sister's garden complete with kissing frogs...

My sister's cat, Rocky....he's 16 this year...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:28 AM

The colors seem a bit more natural than my G12.
Nice shots Stephen !

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Old 09-02-2012, 02:37 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Thanks, Jérôme

I have a G9, which I've hardly used since I bought it in 2007, and I haven't been super-impressed with the colors. It's a great body in terms of flexibility and control functions, but at 12 megapixels with such a small sensor, it's essentially unusable above ISO 100. Also, the read LCD display has always had a bluish tinge to it. As a result, I've hardly used the camera at all in the time I've had it. I just need to sell it to someone. I think the new G-series at 10 megapixels is where Canon should be at with respect to resolution.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:37 AM

Nice colour. Are you shooting RAW Stephen?
Old 09-02-2012, 02:52 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Fuji is famous for the quality of it's color on it's digital cameras; it's very natural-looking; even my little Fuji F31fd has excellent colour accuracy and rendition, per the two examples below (also shot available light, no flash):

The Fuji based dSLRS that were based on Kodak sensors and Nikon lens mounts back in '03-'06 were famous for their color, also.

Actually, these are JPEGs, still working on the best RAW conversion. While ACR will support RAW conversion for this camera, it's not optimal, and using SilkyPix is junk. I need to write to Adobe and pressure them into putting X10 RAW support into the next rev of Lightroom 4. The unusual EXR sensor makes RAW de-mosaicing more complex than with Bayer pattern sensors. Michael Reichman of Luminous Landscape had some recommendations for converting RAW with ACR that I need to look into and them figure out how to configure on the camera.

To be honest, the JPEG files are so good, that I generally find I have plenty of editing headroom for the results you see here. I have to say I am very, very pleased with the image quality, and the camera and it's controls are a joy to use. I'm very impressed so far; I like this camera much more than my Canon G9.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 09-02-2012 at 02:58 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:02 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC View Post
Stephen, that ISO1600 shot is very impressive. Compact camera has come a long way.

dhizzle... try Olympus, they have some retro looking m4/3 camera system. Or if you can wait, the upcoming Fujifilm X-E1 is easier on the wallet.

So. what's this new Fuji X-E1?
Old 09-02-2012, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat
Thanks, Jérôme

I have a G9, which I've hardly used since I bought it in 2007, and I haven't been super-impressed with the colors. It's a great body in terms of flexibility and control functions, but at 12 megapixels with such a small sensor, it's essentially unusable above ISO 100. Also, the read LCD display has always had a bluish tinge to it. As a result, I've hardly used the camera at all in the time I've had it. I just need to sell it to someone. I think the new G-series at 10 megapixels is where Canon should be at with respect to resolution.
Stephen, I also have a G9 that I use at the office and was taking for vacations, and in may I bought 2 x G12 that were on sale because of the launch of the new G. One of the G12 is used only at the office and I kept the other one for leisure.
Clearly better than the G9 ( although I do not agree with you about its limitation at 100 iso but I am less expert than you to say the least ! ) but still, sometimes the colors do not reflect the reality. Probably due to my unability of adjusting the white balance properly. In my work, the gums were much too red than natural. I struggled for hours to have them with a rather natural color.
Cannot spend hours when shooting on the road !

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Old 09-02-2012, 03:50 AM

Beautiful pics Stephen

I gotta check this Fuji out at Costco.....

[ame=http://youtu.be/Myjw-O-WAY8]Fujifilm X10 Digital Camera Unboxing & First Look - YouTube[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/ZWLccuacVWU[/ame]

Last edited by 'cisco; 09-02-2012 at 04:07 AM. Reason: added review vid
Old 09-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Cool, calm scientist

That's it, 'Cisco!

If you get one, consider getting a Fuji hard leather case for it; it's too beautiful to risk damaging.