AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 09-26-2011, 03:01 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpod4 View Post
Great thread...just subscribed to it....I'm on the hunt for a Premier 350, and it sounds like from this thread they are veeeerrrry hard to come by! Bummer.
While they are great amps, you don't want a Premier 350, they are unstable and prone to blowing up if you disconnect/reconnect them to speakers w/o FULLY discharging the (very large) power supply capacitors in the amp. My local C-J dealer toasted an amp doing exactly this. C-J worked and worked on the problem, but whatever changes they made to prevent this from happening also caused the amp not to sound as good. This is the reason the amp was discontinued by C-J and the ET250S was introduced.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 09-26-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:20 PM

[QUOTE=Puma Cat;209157]While they are great amps, you don't want a Premier 350, they are unstable and prone to blowing up if you disconnect/reconnect them to speakers w/o FULLY discharging the (very large) power supply capacitors in the amp. My local C-J dealer toasted an amp doing exactly this. C-J worked and worked on the problem, but whatever changes they made to prevent this from happening also caused the amp not to sound as good. This is the reason the amp was discontinued by C-J and the ET250S was introduced.

It is a well kept secret.... in any case on the European continent...

l
LP12SE,urika phonostage,radikal power supply, dynavector XV-1s,conrad-johnson GAT and LP275M, Sonus Faber Elipsa,yter/naim/Linn cables, vibex, finite elemente
Old 09-26-2011, 04:50 PM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Puma... my experience with the P350 is different than your suggestion having A-B my speakers it with my LP 140s on many occasions without an issue. Now... I'm real careful not to short the speaker outputs of the P350, powered on or not while I'm doing test listening switches. Guess that's what could do it, and maybe any powerful solid state amp could have the problem. After all, it's the power supply that gives an amp it's transient capability and there's no output transformer to protect the circuit.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:22 PM

do you switch LP140/P350 power on ?

l
LP12SE,urika phonostage,radikal power supply, dynavector XV-1s,conrad-johnson GAT and LP275M, Sonus Faber Elipsa,yter/naim/Linn cables, vibex, finite elemente
Old 09-26-2011, 06:47 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
Puma... my experience with the P350 is different than your suggestion having A-B my speakers it with my LP 140s on many occasions without an issue. Now... I'm real careful not to short the speaker outputs of the P350, powered on or not while I'm doing test listening switches. Guess that's what could do it, and maybe any powerful solid state amp could have the problem. After all, it's the power supply that gives an amp it's transient capability and there's no output transformer to protect the circuit.
Coppy,
That could certainly be the root cause. I was told of this failure mode by the owner of Spearit Sound, and it was confirmed by my local C-J dealer, who destroyed an amp due to this issue. Guess the bottom line is you need to be really careful.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:19 AM
Learning to Listen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Pider,
Are you looking for an amp to go with a C-J preamp?
Yes, but before I do that, I need to listen to a C-J anything. Can't find them anywhere in the Portland area. I must be blind; they have to be here somewhere.

And, why is it that folks who have perfectly good tube systems in their shop, such as ARC, try their level best to dissuade one from going with tubes?

Old 09-27-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pider View Post
Yes, but before I do that, I need to listen to a C-J anything. Can't find them anywhere in the Portland area. I must be blind; they have to be here somewhere.
Stereotypes (which is where I got mine in the early 2000's) used to carry c-j, but is now an ARC dealer instead. I don't get into Portland often, so I haven't really kept up with who's carrying what there these days. If you haven't already, you might fill out the inquiry form linked below on the c-j website to find the nearest dealer.

http://www.conradjohnson.com/It_just...rfindform.html

Jim

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 AKM version (to be replaced by inbound Bryston BDA-3), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.

Last edited by jimtranr; 09-27-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pider View Post
You're not blind, Pider. I submitted the dealer inquiry form myself this morning to find dealers near Corvallis and just received a reply from Ed at c-j customer service saying there aren't any. And then...

"We do have an excellent dealer to work with by phone if you'd like. Try contacting Spearit Sound (Northampton, MA)."

Jim

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 AKM version (to be replaced by inbound Bryston BDA-3), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:10 PM
dpod4

I can vouch for Spearit Sound, especially Jack Tozzi and crew. Great guys, straightforward.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:19 AM
Learning to Listen

I've been on their site, and I'm even going to be somewhat close by this weekend (Boston), but unfortunately I'm playing tour guide and won't be able to break free for a day of driving and listening. It's the latter that I need to do, obviously.

I'll have to insist that the good folks at Steretypes demo their ARC's for me. Whichever shop I've visited, all have tried to stear me away from tubes, citing the higher costs, higher fiddling time, greater care needed, crappy bass performance, etc. Thus, I've auditioned SS everything. What I want to hear is the best system, electronics and speakers, that will make me smile at a good cello or oboe recording, and good jazz ensambles. Yes, I'd like a good standup bass too, so I thought that maybe a tube pre with a SS amp. I love full orchestral, but not as often.